Different Viewpoint

abw0004

I posted this in another topic but I think it really belongs here...

It's ALMOST too bad that Bo was as accurate as he was against Mrs. State because as accurate as he was that game is how inaccurate he was against Florida. I guess it only adds fuel to how disappointed I was and how high my expectations were. I know mine were that we would eat their defense up with slants and deep throws. No way they were going to be able to defend the dropped dime long balls and the slant missiles the way he was putting it out there vs moo state. Unfortunately, reality was a bitch. Most of his passes were off. I guess he was due for a bad (true freshman) game. I just wish it wasn't this one. Even the completions were just a shade off. 6 inches less on the throw to Seth Williams and he scores. Hit him with the wide open slant and again, he scores. Hit Sal on the crossing (instead of a foot behind) and the drive stays alive. Hit Hastings on any of the passes where he was open (overthrows) and we are in business as well. It was just that kind of night. Not just for him either. Derrick doesn't trip over his own feet and we probably get a scoop-n-score TD with all those blockers around him. Tutt trying to make sure no one gets in front of the ball had a bounce that launched it straight at him. KJ Britt with a missed tackle that goes house. That guy doesn't miss tackles he missile tackles. I'm sure there were a few more that I forgot because I remember thinking all through the game how much it was not going right for us.

Gus is not without blame either for reasons other than the play calling too. How do you not remind your TF QB not to take a loss and dump the ball when we are in field goal range? I can't think that he did remind him and Bo went ahead and ran backwards anyways so that has to be on Gus. Also, how do you not play DJ Williams as good as he showed in the limited time he played last game? How do you not put Gatewood in on any of the 3rd and 1's or 2's? Or put him in at some point just to settle Bo down a little and/or see what he could do? Did Steele ever recognize how they were forcing our LBs to cover wideouts, because I didn't notice if he ever made a change for it?

As bad as all that was I'm still amazed we were in that game (down only 4 points) all the way until the 88 yarder that went house. And even then it was not an impossible task (see Oregon game) with 9 minutes left if we could've just stopped shooting ourselves in the foot. Alas, it was not to be and the pedo-targeting continued until the end. I just hope the team can use this as a learning experience, especially Bo but not just him. Everyone, including the coaches, has a lot they can learn from this and they have an extra week to get to it. Lets get the bad Mo out of the way. I know we can and I think we will. It's all still out there but the margin of error just got a lot thinner.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

That's the thing though. Nobody is asking for perfect. With how the defense is playing, just a mediocre showing by the O on Saturday would've gotten us the win. We couldn't even achieve that. And that is not an isolated incident. This is who Gus is. We've seen it time and time again.

Remember in after '13 and '14 we all thought that we just needed a decent defense and we'd be close to unstoppable. Then we start improving on defense with Muschamp and then get really good with Steele. But Gus regresses and the script is now flipped. Who'd have thunk it?

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

No, you didn't hear? That's on Bo.

Nobody is saying everything is on Bo. Most everybody here has laid it rightfully on Gus. Poor planning poor adjustment poor use of talent and substitution. Bo had a bad day in a bad situation and Gus didn’t make it better with inept play calling . How many times did you see Bo almost let the clock run out cause Gus could not decide on the play. So In a case like that with no time,  how is Bo supposed to read the defense and make critical adjustments to blocking assignments? No Bo needed to be pulled for a short period where he could stand in the sidelines and watch the offense and figure out what they were doing. Brings into my mind an old saying “ it’s hard when up to your waist in alligators to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp” . That’s where Bo was Saturday and he got no help from Gus. Gus let Bo just bury himself in real time.

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Remember in after '13 and '14 we all thought that we just needed a decent defense and we'd be close to unstoppable. Then we start improving on defense with Muschamp and then get really good with Steele. But Gus regresses and the script is now flipped. Who'd have thunk it?

I think it’s wrong to say the offense regressed it just never grew so other coaches made adjustments for it and Gus had no answer . His method was using eye candy as a distraction so coach told players to ignore the eye candy and play the ball. Gus’s response was to make some new eye candy. It doesn’t help because they aren’t watching it anyway. You can change it all you want , they aren’t buying it. So Gus is stumped . 

4 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

He should have sat Nix for a series and let JG play. Nope. Ole stubborn Gus.

Exactly . It would have been better for Bo. It would have been better for the team. It would have been better for him and it would have been better for the results. The man literally screwed hisself. 🙁

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Those days where we were a lock to drop 30+ on anyone with ease seem like a lifetime ago, doesn't it?

We've fallen so far where it seems multiple times a year we can't even get 3 first downs against teams that recruit on par with us. How the hell did we find ourselves here?

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

LSU might be thinking the same but in reverse.  😂

8 hours ago, Sully to Beasley said:

I myself have been critical of Gus ever since he cost us a natty back in 2013 when he took his foot off the gas in the 3rd quarter of the championship game and let FSU ultimately overcome us . Gus has improved overall this year IMHO, especially in the area of play calling, although admittedly he took a step back in Gainesville. Speaking of Fred Beasley, he and I are from the same high school, Lee of Montgomery. I wish I could have played football as well as he did! 😅

I am the same way as for 2013 and to this day it still burns my a$$.  I thought with the last few games he has done something different and I was good with it ( not like my opinion matters anyway) and then a really big game and he reverts back to the old Gus. I really liked the rotating of players that he has been doing but not this past weekend. I guess what bothers me too is a lot of them kids are from Florida and could have possible been game changers, but never stepped foot on the field. I could not imagine how they felt getting so hyped up for this game and never get a chance. 

Archived