Different Viewpoint

abw0004

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Remember me talking about playing live? Remember me talking about what players mean when they say when the lights come on this guy is different? Well situations like this last game are perfect examples of how the unmeasured qualities can show up and effect a game.

Not disagreeing with you about having QBs take live reps (although there are risks inherent in that), but it's really tough to replicate the experience in front of a hostile, loud crowd like we faced in Gainesville.  I think that the road crowd was as much, if not more, of a factor in our poor performance as QBs not going live in the preseason. 

I do think that Gus should have put Joey in to provide a spark when it was apparent that Bo was really struggling.  Not to punish Bo, but to try to get something going offensively and allow Bo an opportunity to settle down.  

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I apologize if you thought I was being combative.  I truly wasn’t.  Honestly after 72’s comment on the “Crow” thread that the pumpers vs. pessimists made this forum not fun for him I took that to heart even though he wasn’t referencing me.  I still felt like I was contributing to that and if someone who is fighting cancer is coming here for an escape and I have any part in ruining that I want to stop.  I want no part in that.

Having said that, your original post of Saban switching out QB’s is spot on.  Give credit where credit is due and he deserves it.  Those championship games were masterpieces.  

And your comment on Kirby was right on too. My fault on that. My point was simple, coaches are expected to have a plan B at this level and Gus never seems to have one .

12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And your comment on Kirby was right on too. My fault on that. My point was simple, coaches are expected to have a plan B at this level and Gus never seems to have one .

Some would say that that approach is why we are mediocre on the o-line this year.  Gus will either hit a home run or strike out trying.

13 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Auburn lost a close game on the road between two evenly matched teams. I don't understand the bitterness that is permeating every thread. I guess so many fans foolishly expecting Auburn to beat uf soundly has led to all the acrimony.

Less than 300 yards of total offense. We got 16 yards rushing from our running backs in the first half. We started the game with two 3-and-outs, finished the first half with 2 more 3-and-outs, started the 2nd half with a 3-and-out, 4-and-out and an interception, and didn't score in the 2nd half at all. We only scored 3 times despite the defense giving us 4 turnovers, most of which on the opponent's side of the field.

Our head coach and play caller straight got his ass whipped. He was playing checkers while the guy on the other sideline played chess. The only reason we were even remotely in that game is because Derrick Brown is a real life, honest to God superhero.

You're okay with that?

3 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Some would say that that approach is why we are mediocre on the o-line this year.  Gus will either hit a home run or strike out trying.

I disagree with some on how the line has played . If you look at outside folks who score us we score better than you would believe. Some of its Bo not getting the right assignment called. Some of it especially this week was communicating  because of noise. Bo really got caught up in things this week just like you would expect a freshman too. You can’t blame the OLwhen the QB takes to long. Add in Boobie taking Cadillac’s message to read his block a little wrong and waiting to long to hit some holes . Sometimes everyone goes with the most visible instead of magnifying the whole thing.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Less than 300 yards of total offense. We got 16 yards rushing from our running backs in the first half. We started the game with two 3-and-outs, finished the first half with 2 more 3-and-outs, started the 2nd half with a 3-and-out, 4-and-out and an interception, and didn't score in the 2nd half at all. We only scored 3 times despite the defense giving us 4 turnovers, most of which on the opponent's side of the field.

Our head coach and play caller straight got his ass whipped. He was playing checkers while the guy on the other sideline played chess. The only reason we were even remotely in that game is because Derrick Brown is a real life, honest to God superhero.

You're okay with that?

Mullen made our HC uncomfortable with his strategy of late substitutions that did not allow Gus to signal in his play in a timely fashion.  Gus was uncomfortable, so our QB was uncomfortable and Mullen’s strategy seemed to work.  Gus has a hard time adjusting on the fly and other coaches know that.  Gus was totally dominated and could not adjust.  They scouted us very well as when it came time to pass the ball they had Will Hastings doubled covered at times and never left him alone.  WH is Gus’ security blanket and they took it away.

Our defense looked uncertain of what to do at times also, but Steele seemed to adjust to that during the game.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We got 16 yards rushing from our running backs in the first half.

No, you didn't hear? That's on Bo.

14 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Auburn lost a close game on the road between two evenly matched teams. I don't understand the bitterness that is permeating every thread. I guess so many fans foolishly expecting Auburn to beat uf soundly has led to all the acrimony.

To piggyback on what @McLoofus said, this one particular loss isn't the reason people are agitated. It's the fact that we have seen this exact script play out countless times where our "genius" offensive mind can't seem to figure out how to muster a first down while the defense plays their hearts out keeping the door open for us to win the game if only we could do something, ANYTHING, on O.

This spans over several QBs over several years. Doesn't matter if we had a stud QB, a mediocre QB, or a garbage QB. We've looked exactly like we did on Saturday way too many times over Gus' tenure to think that losing yet another winnable game shouldn't be met with bitterness. 

He's not going to change. He is what he is. Year 7 and still having games where we look so bad on O like our HC can't figure out how to move the ball 10 yards on a drive. He's paid handsomely for his offensive prowess. Scoring 13 points when the defense gifted you 4 turnovers is a failure by all measure.

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To piggyback on what @McLoofus said, this one particular loss isn't the reason people are agitated. It's the fact that we have seen this exact script play out countless times where our "genius" offensive mind can't seem to figure out how to muster a first down while the defense plays their hearts out keeping the door open for us to win the game if only we could do something, ANYTHING, on O.

This spans over several QBs over several years. Doesn't matter if we had a stud QB, a mediocre QB, or a garbage QB. We've looked exactly like we did on Saturday way too many times over Gus' tenure to think that losing yet another winnable game shouldn't be met with bitterness. 

He's not going to change. He is what he is. Year 7 and still having games where we look so bad on O like our HC can't figure out how to move the ball 10 yards on a drive. He's paid handsomely for his offensive prowess. Scoring 13 points when the defense gifted you 4 turnovers is a failure by all measure.

*I will be adding this perfect post to my repository of canned text responses. This one will be used in response to all of the lame "schedule", "freshman QB", "injuries" etc excuse making posts.

*This will not in fact happen because I do not in fact have such a repository, but if I did...

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

Not disagreeing with you about having QBs take live reps (although there are risks inherent in that), but it's really tough to replicate the experience in front of a hostile, loud crowd like we faced in Gainesville.  I think that the road crowd was as much, if not more, of a factor in our poor performance as QBs not going live in the preseason. 

I do think that Gus should have put Joey in to provide a spark when it was apparent that Bo was really struggling.  Not to punish Bo, but to try to get something going offensively and allow Bo an opportunity to settle down.  

Imo the thing that was rattling Bo well actually two things, they were getting to him quick, which we could def simulate if we tried. 2 was our first down plays was hardly working and once he blew a couple of easy passes he started to really put pressure on himself, I also feel playing live can really show you what happens when you don't do it right every single time. Things can go south quick and you don't see it until it happens

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

You're okay with that?

Well I do try to consider the circumstances involving the game.as played. And don't blindly presume Auburn is going to or should play a perfect game every time out. The other team does have a say so in the outcome. It's just I am not as pissed off about it as you are.

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Well I do try to consider the circumstances involving the game.as played. And don't blindly presume Auburn is going to or should play a perfect game every time out. The other team does have a say so in the outcome. It's just I am not as pissed off about it as you are.

That's the thing though. Nobody is asking for perfect. With how the defense is playing, just a mediocre showing by the O on Saturday would've gotten us the win. We couldn't even achieve that. And that is not an isolated incident. This is who Gus is. We've seen it time and time again.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:16 AM, abw0004 said:

Good morning all,

I hope this finds you in better spirits, if nothing else than the fact that the weather is finally cooling down.  There were a few points I had thought of and wanted to bring to the table for discussion.

Playcalling:  I feel like this is the low-hanging fruit for many on here and it is misinformed to a degree.  I feel like many are just wanting to use this as an excuse to get mad at Malzahn, but let's look into it a little further.  Many plays just were not working against this defense, true.  But, the plays in particular I wanted to bring to light were two of the interceptions and the plays prior.  The first long play we had was a bomb to Seth Williams, but unfortunately he was a tad overthrown leading to a circus catch.  Had Bo be on the money that would have been a touchdown.  This lead to two plays later of an interception.  If you go back and re-watch the interception, Anthony Schwartz was wide open in the end zone, four steps ahead of his defender.  The next set of plays I would like to discuss is in the endzone.  Again this was a great play drawn up to Sal Canella on the slant but the pass was inaccurate, and we all know the next play was an interception with the ball thrown too low to Canella again.  These plays were set up to be successful, which is what you want to do as a playcaller.

Defense:  That very well may be the best defense we play all year, if not the best defense in the country right now as they are all healthy.  LSU's defense is not very good this year, giving up points to almost every opponent.  UGA's secondary is very inexperienced, and thin.  Notre Dame exposed them and something we can take advantage of.  By the time we play them they should not be inexperienced anymore, but the depth issue will still be there.  Alabama's defense should have been the best defense we play, but with all of their injuries they have a lot of holes.  Holes that probably will not be remedied this year.

Personnel:  We may have had to adjust our groupings at the last minute.  This is just speculation so do not take this as gospel.  Many noted the lack of playing time from the Florida players.  It became obvious Florida was not letting Anthony Schwartz ever touch the ball.  As stated above the one time he burned them, Bo did not see him.  Worm may have been held out of the game after his warm-up scuffle with the Florida players.  I love Worm, but based on the video Worm was the one who reached out and grabbed the facemask of the Florida player first and hit both Florida players first.  Worm, in my opinion, was standing up for himself.  As a coach, you may not have a choice but to scratch him, especially when Gus has a reputation for no-nonsense.  This may be why we saw everyone in the game but Worm and DJ Williams (unrelated).  To be fair, I would have liked to see Joey Gatewood in there for a drive or two.

I am not creating an excuse for our loss.  It still hurts today.  However, it is not as bad of a loss as we might think.  Certainly not as bad as some are making it out to be and are creating multiple threads per day to make sure people know their stance.  We have lost one game with the toughest schedule in the country.  Any other schedule we are 6-0.  Many of you predicted we would be 3-3 by this point in the season before Fall Camp started.  Why so mad when we have out performed your own expectation?  We have two weeks to heal up, look at ourselves in the mirror, and get ready for Arkansas.  The season isn't over.  Far from it.  Our path to our goals are still ahead of us and there is a scenario where we have a rematch with Florida believe it or not.

:wareagle:

I agree with everything in this post. I was and am still very upset about the loss, but I expected us to lost one to Texas AM or UF so we are right on par with expectations from myself, and ahead of many on this board as you said. Just last week so many people on here were talking crazy and now they are hurting and need to point blame, when all off-season they said 9 or 10 wins with this schedule and a tru frosh QB would be a major win. 

The playcalling has been good as a whole for the entire year I think. This was not a poorly called game. It was poorly executed. It also wasn't Gus' best called game either but he called plays to win the game. 

I believe UF's Defense to be elite. I also believe that LSU,UGA, and Bama Defenses are not what they have been, but are definitely better than what we have faced minus UF and possibly Oregon (so hard to tell about Oregon due to PAC12) I think our Oline has improved tremendously from last year. I also think there is room to continue to improve personally. Many think that the OL has peaked. I think if we call plays to counter our weaknesses, like we have most of the season, then we will be ok and Defense will put us in every game. 

10 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

You seem to- somewhat patronizingly- suggest that those of us who are more critical of the performance don't try to consider the circumstances, do blindly presume Auburn will play a perfect game, and don't realize the other team has a say so in the outcome. That is pretty insulting and wildly inaccurate.

Totally understand and respect your last sentiment. 

Bo was due for a bad game. kid has been playing amazingly well, imo, for a TF. 

regarding the play calling, we got into the redzone in mid to late 3rd quarter. 3-4 running plays and one long pass got us down there. all 3 plays in the redzone were pass plays. why?

On 10/7/2019 at 9:11 AM, Sully to Beasley said:

The negative nellies are not going to like this dose of truth you shared. It does not fit their agenda.

I’m not a big Gus fan and never have been ( I am not a fan of the smoking mirrors and all the trick plays, but that’s just me) but it goes back to the same thing every year. It’s not the point of losing ( well it is to a point) but it’s more of how we lost. BTW I got Fred Beasley #23  autograph this past weekend.

also, where was the jets sweep, the end around, the fake end around, the wheel route, the wildcat ?

all those plays we have run 3-4 times per game and had sucess with. im sure i missed one, but there seemed to be a decision NOT to run plays which worked for us so far. 

Excellent thread abw004 and you're braver than me with several things in your post, esp about the body of play calls in THIS game getting slammed. The TDs were set up and waiting for the throws, which will come...they will come. 

4 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

also, where was the jets sweep, the end around, the fake end around, the wheel route, the wildcat ?

all those plays we have run 3-4 times per game and had sucess with. im sure i missed one, but there seemed to be a decision NOT to run plays which worked for us so far. 

I tell my wife all the time watching the games if we make a good positive play you will not see it again. Also you can say execution is to blame also but as many seniors as we have now why are they three or four years in and can’t execute. Just my opinion 

6 minutes ago, WDE427 said:

I’m not a big Gus fan and never have been ( I am not a fan of the smoking mirrors and all the trick plays, but that’s just me) but it goes back to the same thing every year. It’s not the point of losing ( well it is to a point) but it’s more of how we lost. BTW I got Fred Beasley #23  autograph this past weekend.

I myself have been critical of Gus ever since he cost us a natty back in 2013 when he took his foot off the gas in the 3rd quarter of the championship game and let FSU ultimately overcome us . Gus has improved overall this year IMHO, especially in the area of play calling, although admittedly he took a step back in Gainesville. Speaking of Fred Beasley, he and I are from the same high school, Lee of Montgomery. I wish I could have played football as well as he did! 😅

Just now, Sully to Beasley said:

I myself have been critical of Gus ever since he cost us a natty back in 2013 when he took his foot off the gas in the 3rd quarter of the championship game and let FSU ultimately overcome us . Gus has improved overall this year IMHO, especially in the area of play calling, although admittedly he took a step back in Gainesville. Speaking of Fred Beasley, he and I are from the same high school, Lee of Montgomery. I wish I could have played football as well as he did! 😅

Beasley was one of the GOATs of the Gump. Hard nosed dude. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

This. Also, I disagree with the premise that we're equal teams. Florida barely escaped a game against a bad Kentucky and they didn't even play us particularly well. Their two major scores came off a broken coverage early play (likely doesn't happen if we play 9 more times) and the second one from a missed tackle we almost never would miss (didn't help the defense was so exhausted).

This Florida team was very beatable and should have been done so by a comfortable margin. Trask isn't stellar by any means and neither are any of their offensive weapons. We had one of the worst called offenses I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, fasttimes said:

Bo was due for a bad game. kid has been playing amazingly well, imo, for a TF. 

regarding the play calling, we got into the redzone in mid to late 3rd quarter. 3-4 running plays and one long pass got us down there. all 3 plays in the redzone were pass plays. why?

We didn't run the ball great. Yes we had a few good runs on that one drive but as we got into the RZ the field condenses and UF's defense has less ground to cover. Makes it tougher. I thought the play calls weren't bad. Twice on that one drive that resulted in EZ interception we had the perfect call just no execution. Seth was open on the slant and Bo threw 5 yards behind him. Then Sal was open if the ball was thrown with a little touch and higher but bad throw again. It sucks it ended in TO because at least we could have gotten a FG, but a FG would have only meant we lost by less. JMO

Archived