Gus to Mullen: Davidson not a dirty player

aubiefifty

33 minutes ago, AURocketman said:

Everybody but the referees saw the jersey pull down.  

The officials missed numerous play impacting or even game impacting holding calls on the UF OLine.  I hope we are sending a video to the SEC.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, around4ever said:

The officials missed numerous play impacting or even game impacting holding calls on the UF OLine.  I hope we are sending a video to the SEC.  

We almost need a guy whose job it is to submit our tapes every week and a tape of UAt's oline holding too just for fun.

Say whatever you want about Gus but......

.....I think he could take Cousin Eddie.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:23 AM, shabby said:

so despite the video evidence Mullen has so little honor he is unable to admit a mistake. God I hope Auburn and Florida rematch on Atlanta

To quote a friend of mine:

“What can you expect from a pig but a grunt”

Read the AL.com article today were Mullen doesn't apologize and sorta back tracks. What an ass. Be a man and admit you were wrong and apologize. Guy just doesn't want to admit that holding is what really put his QB in danger.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:23 AM, aubiefifty said:

Gus Malzahn responds to Dan Mullen: Marlon Davidson ‘not a dirty player’

Posted Oct 06, 2019

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

Gus Malzahn was quick to defend the reputation of one of his players on Sunday.

A day after Florida coach Dan Mullen insinuated that Davidson made a “dirty” play when he hit Gators quarterback Kyle Trask -- subsequently resulting in a “light” MCL sprain -- in the second quarter of the teams’ top-10 matchup at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Malzahn went to bat for the senior defensive end.

“Marlon is not a dirty player,” Malzahn said Sunday when asked about Mullen’s remarks. “Matter of fact, Marlon is one of the best football players in our league. He’s probably one of the classiest, if not the classiest, in our league and we’re honored and proud he’s one of our leaders.”

Florida’s second-year head coach made the comment during the CBS broadcast of the game, when he was asked about Trask’s status as his team headed to the locker room for halftime. Mullen gave an update on Trask, who missed parts of two possessions before returning prior to the end of the second quarter, and then said he hoped the SEC “tries to keep quarterbacks safe from dirty plays.”

After the game, Mullen said he did not see the play initially and only caught the replay. He then declined to backtrack on his “dirty” comment when asked specifically if he thought there were any questionable plays by Auburn’s defense.

“Here’s my deal, is intention or not, I mean we’ve got to try to do a good job of protecting guys out there on the field,” Mullen said. “I mean, that’s what the rules are in place for. I go down and watch it on film and see what happens. I’m certainly not saying they’re trying to do that. They’re not being coached to do that. I don’t think the guy’s intent is to do that. You know what I mean? But we have rules in place to protect players and we’ll look on film to see whether or not there was a targeting (against K.J. Britt), whether there was a low hit. Hit the quarterback low, I mean, what the explanation on those is.”

Malzahn said he has not spoken to or reached out to Mullen about his remarks.

Davidson’s hit on Trask came early in the second quarter after Florida opened a drive at its own 25-yard line. On the initial play of the possession, Trask dropped back to pass and Davidson came off the left edge, where Florida left tackle Stone Forsythe got away with a blatant hold on the senior defensive end. Davidson fought through the hold and got to Trask as the quarterback unleashed a pass intended for receiver Josh Hammond.

As the ball came out of Trask’s hands, ultimately falling incomplete, Davidson inadvertently fell on the quarterback’s left leg. Trask heard a pop in his knee and remained down on the field for some time as Florida’s training staff checked him out. The redshirt junior, who feared the worst, eventually got up and walked off the field under his own power, walking to the Gators’ locker room for further examination.

He returned to the sideline later in the quarter with a left brace on his knee and, to the surprise of many, returned to the field just before halftime.

“It was just a really scary moment for me,” Trask said. "Knees are nothing to play around with. Once they told me it was a sprain, they did a really good job taking care of me… and I could go back in.”

Trask finished the game at quarterback, completing 19-of-31 passes for 234 yards and a pair of touchdowns while leading Florida to the upset win against Auburn. Afterward, Davidson -- who was admittedly shaken up when he saw Trask injured -- sought out the Gators quarterback on the field, apologized for the hit and expressed his respect for Trask’s toughness in returning to the game.

Davidson and teammate Derrick Brown both said Mullen’s remarks did not sit well with them. Brown defended his teammate’s reputation and said “freaky plays” happen in football, while Davidson said he was simply trying to make a play and had no intent of hurting Trask.

“When I’m out there to play, I always play between the rules,” Davidson said Saturday night. “I’m always out there trying to take care of each other, and they should take care of me, too. But I was devastated after that (injury to Trask). I went to the sideline and my coach had to pull me to the side and say, ‘Man, you just got to continue to play football,’ because my mind was all on him.

“Like, I hope he gets up, I hope he feels better, I hope it’s nothing serious. Because, at the end of the day, man, it’s football. You want to see everybody be great.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I’ve hated him since the Cam fiasco. In addition to investigation and media trashing of Auburn thanks to him, his wife also gave them fuel. She was the source of the “Cam was struggling at Florida” comments which included her leaking federally protected information on Cam’s grades (which is actually a prosecutable offense by the way). 

I have no logical qualms with MSU anymore, but I still often find myself cheering against them. I mentally can’t shake their asssociation with him. 

There’s a short list of coaches I’d like to see fired in disgrace. Mullen is on it.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

I’ve hated him since the Cam fiasco. In addition to investigation and media trashing of Auburn thanks to him, his wife also gave them fuel. She was the source of the “Cam was struggling at Florida” comments which included her leaking federally protected information on Cam’s grades (which is actually a prosecutable offense by the way). 

I have no logical qualms with MSU anymore, but I still often find myself cheering against them. I mentally can’t shake their asssociation with him. 

There’s a short list of coaches I’d like to see fired in disgrace. Mullen is on it.

great minds think alike

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I know some Mississippi St. fans that are glad he's gone. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Take out the Dak years, and he didn’t do much. 

Leave in the Dak years and he still didn’t do that much.

13 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Take out the Dak years, and he didn’t do much. 

Leave in the Dak years and he still didn’t do that much.

Lol he took that program to heights they'd never seen before in the most competitive division in the history of CFB.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Here on the MS Gulf Coast I know a former player class of 63 that never liked him from the start👍

51 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm glad we didn't fire Mullen a few years ago. And yeas, his name did pop up.

I think you meant hire and not fire.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, McLoofus said:

Lol he took that program to heights they'd never seen before in the most competitive division in the history of CFB.

Yet he still didn’t win a national championship, conference championship, or even a division championship. He finished in the bottom 1/2 of the SEC West in all but one season. He also went 5-4 against Ole Miss, with 3 of the 5 wins coming against pre-Hugh Freeze Ole Miss. Since Freeze, he went 2-4 against them. If that’s accomplishing something, why are we complaining about Gus?

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Yet he still didn’t win a national championship, conference championship, or even a division championship. He finished in the bottom 1/2 of the SEC West in all but one season. If that’s accomplishing something, why are we complaining about Gus?

Because... we're not... Missippi State...

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Yet he still didn’t win a national championship, conference championship, or even a division championship. He finished in the bottom 1/2 of the SEC West in all but one season. If that’s accomplishing something, why are we complaining about Gus?

Because that's not in the realm of realistic goals for a program like Miss State. Surely you don't think Miss State and Auburn are in the same stratosphere....

Just now, Tiger said:

Because that's not in the realm of realistic goals for a program like Miss State. Surely you don't think Miss State and Auburn are in the same stratosphere....

No. I don’t. But I still think he underachieved. 

Also, I updated the post to add more criticism. Take a second look.

21 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

No. I don’t. But I still think he underachieved. 

Also, I updated the post to add more criticism. Take a second look.

Underachieved relative to what? Their history? Expectations? Talent level?

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Underachieved relative to what? Their history? Expectations? Talent level?

Not history. They’ve hired a lot of bad coaches, which I think Mullen joins the list of. But yes to the other two. 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Not history. They’ve hired a lot of bad coaches, which I think Mullen joins the list of. But yes to the other two. 

Talent level? Wow, man. 

They are a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiistant 5th to the top 4 teams in the West in terms of talent. They should literally never sniff the top half of the division. Even with a Dak Prescott. 

Expectations? Based off of what?

Just now, AUFriction said:

He's the 2nd winningest coach in their history....

And what kind of talent do you think they're pulling in there at MSU? Their goal is to beat Ole Miss, make a bowl, and pick off one of the top 4 teams in the West each year. We must be talking about 2 different Miss State programs.

You can argue you think Gus deserves to stay but you're going off the deep end by saying Miss State should've been better under Mullen IMO

Mississippi St is 93rd in overall winning percentage in their history. They should have no expectations. They should just be pleasantly surprised when they best someone in the SEC...just don't tell my wife I said that. 

Archived