Gus to Mullen: Davidson not a dirty player

aubiefifty

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Talent level? Wow, man. 

They are a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiistant 5th to the top 4 teams in the West in terms of talent. They should literally never sniff the top half of the division. Even with a Dak Prescott. 

Expectations? Based off of what?

Pretty sure when you were at Auburn MS States stadium wasn't much bigger than Southern Miss, hell if memory serves they wouldn't even play USM..........we were light years ahead of State then, even more so now.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry all. I respectfully disagree. Considering the praise Mullen has gotten, he should have been more successful than he was. He wasn’t more successful for the same reason other coaches weren’t successful there. He is an overrated coach.

18 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Sorry all. I respectfully disagree. Considering the praise Mullen has gotten, he should have been more successful than he was. He wasn’t more successful for the same reason other coaches weren’t successful there. He is an overrated coach.

Except he was more successful. Way, way, WAY more successful.

Get this. Before Mullen, MSU had two 9-win seasons and two 10-win seasons in their entire history going back to 1895. They'd been to twelve bowl games and won seven of them. They'd finished in the AP top 25 11 times. 

Mullen had three 9-win seasons and one 10-win season in his 9 seasons there. He went to eight bowls and won six of them. He finished in the AP top 25 3 times. The last time any other coach did it 3 times was in the 1940s. 

Mullen almost achieved in nine seasons what MSU had achieved in the previous 103 years. 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Except he was more successful. Way, way, WAY more successful.

Get this. Before Mullen, MSU had two 9-win seasons and two 10-win seasons in their entire history going back to 1895. They'd been to twelve bowl games and won seven of them. They'd finished in the AP top 25 11 times. 

Mullen had three 9-win seasons and one 10-win season in his 9 seasons there. He went to eight bowls and won six of them. He finished in the AP top 25 3 times. The last time any other coach did it 3 times was in the 1940s. 

Mullen almost achieved in nine seasons what MSU had achieved in the previous 103 years. 

Just because he was more successful doesn’t mean he was good. He replaced Sylvester Croom who was god awful. Most of their coaches have been god awful. Compared to god awful coaches, an average-ish coach would look really good.

9 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Just because he was more successful doesn’t mean he was good. He replaced Sylvester Croom who was god awful. Most of their coaches have been god awful. Compared to god awful coaches, an average-ish coach would look really good.

Crazy, isn't it? How some schools have never managed to hire a good coach? Colorado State, New Mexico, Temple, Florida Atlantic, Kent State, Indiana... like, how do they keep hiring dummies year after year, decade after decade? Since all colleges have the same resources and recruiting pull, you'd think that they'd at least get lucky with one of their hires.

Crazy that Florida hired a bum like Mullen. Just goes to show that they don't know much about winning or what to look for. No surprise that he's already sinking that ship. They're not even top 5, lol. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Crazy, isn't it? How some schools have never managed to hire a good coach? Colorado State, New Mexico, Temple, Florida Atlantic, Kent State, Indiana... like, how do they keep hiring dummies year after year, decade after decade? Since all colleges have the same resources and recruiting pull, you'd think that they'd at least get lucky with one of their hires.

Crazy that Florida hired a bum like Mullen. Just goes to show that they don't know much about winning or what to look for. No surprise that he's already sinking that ship. They're not even top 5, lol. 

No need to get snarky. We have a difference of opinion on this, and there’s no way to know at this point if either of us is right.

This convo is turning ugly. I’m leaving it.

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

No need to get snarky. We have a difference of opinion on this, and there’s no way to know at this point if either of us is right.

This convo is turning ugly. I’m leaving it.

You're right. The snark was uncalled for. I apologize.

But it is inarguable that Mullen far exceeded what prior coaches have done at MSU, and it is also inarguable that some programs have lower ceilings than others.

Wish there was a reporter with some balls that would ask Dan "do you think if he wasn't being pulled to the ground by his colar, he still hits him in the knee?"  And oh if Dans so worried about the "rules" it should have been a hold on that play.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:01 AM, Linayus said:

The silver lining here is that LSU's defense is definitely NOT the same as Florida's, which is still just weird to say. My only concern is that teams are going to use Florida's defensive strategy to stall us and Gus will be Gus and not find solutions. lol

Gus just needs to completely flip his philosophy of run first pass second in order to be successful. Florida is doing it, LSU is doing it and even the mighty tide is doing it. QUIT coaching not to lose but coach all out to win! I am hoping we see a revival of the 2017 point production in coming weeks. Just hoping the coaches past week of reviewing all the offensive plays for the season, so far, enlightens someone as to what has really worked so far this season.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, auburntiger1987 said:

I hate Mullen, I think hes a terrible coach and terrible person. My hope is that wherever he coaches, he is run off. He is a rat and liar. Nothing but the worst for Cousin Eddie

2 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Gus just needs to completely flip his philosophy of run first pass second in order to be successful. Florida is doing it, LSU is doing it and even the mighty tide is doing it. QUIT coaching not to lose but coach all out to win! I am hoping we see a revival of the 2017 point production in coming weeks. Just hoping the coaches past week of reviewing all the offensive plays for the season, so far, enlightens someone as to what has really worked so far this season.

Yeah I saw a chart on Gus’s run/pass ratio and he has been this way since the beginning. He rarely is balance in this regard. The key is does he know how to scheme to be pass first? JS should’ve ran a pass first offense IMO

On 10/11/2019 at 8:28 AM, McLoofus said:

Maybe he will open his impudent mouth with something the entire public can't stand (like his predecessor, McElwain) and be shown the door. Oops..I forgot, Florida is like OhhDamnhio State and Bama where anything is acceptable as long as you win.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, McLoofus said:

You're right. The snark was uncalled for. I apologize.

But it is inarguable that Mullen far exceeded what prior coaches have done at MSU, and it is also inarguable that some programs have lower ceilings than others.

Mullen as a coach= Pretty good

Mullen as a person= asshat

On 10/10/2019 at 12:20 PM, kevon67 said:

Pretty sure when you were at Auburn MS States stadium wasn't much bigger than Southern Miss, hell if memory serves they wouldn't even play USM..........we were light years ahead of State then, even more so now.

I remember when one end of Miss State's stadium looked like a HS field, complete with riding lawn mower still sitting there. One mascot that shall remain nameless.... cough Aubie, cough....... got thrown out of a game for cutting the grass in a blow out.

Archived