Bye-Week Thoughts

StatTiger

12 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

That's the struggle with Malzahn.  He's not necessarily a 'bad coach'.  He has shown signs of being a good coach at times and does a lot of things right, but it's not consistent.  We get games like MSU that make us think he's turned the corner,  and then games like last Saturday that leave us scratching our head.  He's good enough that it leaves us uncertain.  It's nerve-wracking.

I don't think he is a bad coach either, but he has made some really bad decisions:

• Incorrect assessment of JJ's potential as the starting QB. This has been one I haven't been able to forget
  • Poor RB and O-line recruiting. I find this one especially odd since he has stated frequently that "We are a downhill power running football team". How do you do that without a  good offensive line and a stable of SEC backs?
  • The entire OC debacle that we have witnessed over the last few seasons
  • Tendency to become myopic in game situations, like running on first down an inordinate number of times and mostly without success

He has also made some good decisions:

• Keeping CRG as the defensive line coach
  • Hiring CTW as the line backers coach 
  • Hiring Cadillac to coach running backs
  • Re-assuming OC responsibilities as well as being head coach (up until the FL game)

I think he is beginning to understand that a coach must be both a great recruiter and a good developer of talent

He reminds me of a person trying to put out a brush fire with a broom. While he is beating down one hot spot, another is popping up behind him. He has to have assistants that are willing and able to handle a broom also.

I don't know what his future is at AU, but I do feel like he can be successful somewhere.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

He reminds me of a person trying to put out a brush fire with a broom. While he is beating down one hot spot, another is popping up behind him. He has to have assistants that are willing and able to handle a broom also.

For me, that's a good start on the analogy. Problem is, he has assistants that are willing and able to handle a broom, but he's run off all the guys who were smart enough to tell him their damned brooms are burning and that there are a hundred better ways to put a fire out. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

But I do, for whatever reason, feel compelled to point out the logical fallacy whenever it happens. 

You pretty much listed what I would have, except for my Gus induced apathy towards Auburn football at this point. Keep fighting the good fight.

• Haha 2

On 10/7/2019 at 6:36 PM, CleCoTiger said:

I think that the "regardless of schedule" bit makes your "fair baseline expectation" pretty close to insane.  I doubt there are more than a few teams that could go through the schedule AU has this year with any sort of reasonable expectation of winning 10. Hoping to win 10? Sure. Reasonable (baseline) expectation? Nope. 

But we're just as talented as the teams we're facing. You guys act like we're rebuilding or something. We have three games against LSU, UGA, and Bama coming up. To lose all three would be a huge failure. Our schedule is tough, but our talent can absolutely play with anyone. We should NOT have 4 losses this season. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

But we're just as talented as the teams we're facing. You guys act like we're rebuilding or something. We have three games against LSU, UGA, and Bama coming up. To lose all three would be a huge failure. Our schedule is tough, but our talent can absolutely play with anyone. We should NOT have 4 losses this season. 

Completely agree and our schedule is tough every damn year! I’ve heard this every single year from Gus supporters! When exactly do you think our schedule gets easier? We play bama, uga and lau every year plus now we are usually playing one tough non con opponent...schedule is a poor excuse in year 7. Maybe in year one or two but not seven.

• Like 5

Passing wise, I would like to see Gus focus on getting the ball to players in space, or on the move rather than on the bomb play. It's pretty clear through the past three seasons that it's still not the best strategy when the running game isn't happening. Everyone knows the gameplans now. 

Impact plays can happen other than the 50/50 ball or the low percentage turnover bomb.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 9:25 AM, CodeRocket said:

I don't think he is a bad coach either, but he has made some really bad decisions:

• Incorrect assessment of JJ's potential as the starting QB. This has been one I haven't been able to forget
  • Poor RB and O-line recruiting. I find this one especially odd since he has stated frequently that "We are a downhill power running football team". How do you do that without a  good offensive line and a stable of SEC backs?
  • Tendency to become myopic in game situations, like running on first down an inordinate number of times and mostly without success

• Re-assuming OC responsibilities as well as being head coach (up until the FL game)

I think he is beginning to understand that a coach must be both a great recruiter and a good developer of talent

I don't know what his future is at AU, but I do feel like he can be successful somewhere.

I'd hate to see what you'd say if you thought Gus was a bad coach.  

I'll go there.  He is not up to the SEC for so many reasons.  Maybe a lesser conference...but not the SEC West, which is what he is getting $50m for.

-- If in year 7 folks are still making excuses for the schedule, then when exactly do you think he will ever be capable of Fielding a competitive team in the West?

--  He hires OCs like people change their drawers because, apparently, there are no OCs that can meet his exacting standards...which doesn't seem to be a challenge for the rest of the NCAAs top coaches. 

-- And after 7 years he doesn't trust his new OC to call plays...what I can't believe is any self respecting OC would take that job.  This is the most bizarre aspect of this whole affair.  You hire leaders for roles and hold them accountable to do a job.  Gus hansn't figured this out ... and isn't going to be around long enough to.

-- And all the referenced recruiting and player development lapses.

I am sure Gus is a top notch guy that loves his players.  But so was Doug Barfield...and that is exactly what this feels like.  I don't see anything that improves on 8-5. (Anticipating another bowl game loss).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

I'd hate to see what you'd say if you thought Gus was a bad coach.  

I'll go there.  He is not up to the SEC for so many reasons.  Maybe a lesser conference...but not the SEC West, which is what he is getting $50m for.

-- If in year 7 folks are still making excuses for the schedule, then when exactly do you think he will ever be capable of Fielding a competitive team in the West?

--  He hires OCs like people change their drawers because, apparently, there are no OCs that can meet his exacting standards...which doesn't seem to be a challenge for the rest of the NCAAs top coaches. 

-- And after 7 years he doesn't trust his new OC to call plays...what I can't believe is any self respecting OC would take that job.  This is the most bizarre aspect of this whole affair.  You hire leaders for roles and hold them accountable to do a job.  Gus hansn't figured this out ... and isn't going to be around long enough to.

-- And all the referenced recruiting and player development lapses.

I am sure Gus is a top notch guy that loves his players.  But so was Doug Barfield...and that is exactly what this feels like.  I don't see anything that improves on 8-5. (Anticipating another bowl game loss).

Awesome post...but warning, you will get attacked for comparing Gus to Barfield...

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2019 at 9:25 AM, CodeRocket said:

Gus is very intelligent, but lacks common sense which is essential in the coaching profession.

• Like 1

Successful coaches overtime have to be willing to grow. Folks like Mac Brown got fired because he didn’t . Look at Saban. Who in the world would have thought he would run a better HUNH offense better than Gus. Remember when he fussed about it. Said it took away from the game. Eventually he had two choice improve his offense or start loosing. He chose to improve his offense. Another thing Gus feels like when he hires a coach he has to be friends with him. Saban runs coaches off then hires them back. His only motive is to win. I’m sure he has had coaches he didn’t like but if they can win then he’ll put up with them. That’s why he has been successful at what he does. Gus needs to hire the best qualified coach and recruiter whether he is his friend or not . 

• Thanks 2

On 10/12/2019 at 10:04 PM, PUB78 said:

Gus is very intelligent, but lacks common sense which is essential in the coaching profession.

He is intelligent but I am hoping that the next half of the season indicates that he and his staff have taken their "play-by-play" review of the first 6 games to heart. Having done that, he (as have our remaining opponents) know our tendencies. CGM could really show some growth, if he and the coaches plan and scheme "away" from our tendencies to something not yet on film. I am sure if that were done, our chances of a better season would be far greater than the "same-old-same-old" will produce. CGM did it from the mid-season on in 2017. I can only wish and hope that the coaches time and effort the past 10 days will be put to good use over the next 6 games.

Edited by au701948
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, au701948 said:

He is intelligent but I am hoping that the next half of the season indicates that he and his staff have taken their "play-by-play" review of the first 6 games to heart. Having done that, he (as have our remaining opponents) know our tendencies. CGM could really show some growth, if he and the coaches plan and scheme "away" from our tendencies to something not yet on film. I am sure if that were done, our chances of a better season would be far greater than the "same-old-same-old" will produce. CGM did it from the mid-season on in 2017. I can only wish and hope that the coaches time and effort the past 10 days will be put to good use over the next 6 games.

The only thing Gus did in 2017 was ride Ryan Davis and Kerryon into the ground. Once Kerryon was out, he had no answer. It's shaping up to be a similar situation currently as we have no definitive RB2 with any real experience.  I hope we find it this week or it could be a long 2nd half of the season. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 11:29 PM, Randman5000 said:

Passing wise, I would like to see Gus focus on getting the ball to players in space, or on the move rather than on the bomb play. It's pretty clear through the past three seasons that it's still not the best strategy when the running game isn't happening. Everyone knows the gameplans now. 

Impact plays can happen other than the 50/50 ball or the low percentage turnover bomb.

I fully agree and am hoping that some of this bye week's review of our own tendecies, mistakes in certain field situations, etc. has genuinely sunk in with CGM. Again, I am hoping, but not holding my breath. A well conceived and executed short passing game can literally (see Florida against Auburn) take the place of our inadequate running game success. AND, it would be a complete 180-degree turn from our expected tendencies. One can wish anyway.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 10:04 PM, PUB78 said:

He also has a stubborn streak as long as a 100 yard football field!

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 10:29 PM, Randman5000 said:

I’m pretty sure there was several wr in space against Florida. We just couldn’t get the ball to them due to overthrows and under throws.

Again my worry comes from Gus. Up until Florida I saw Gus making good in game changes . Something he hasn’t done in sometime. But against Florida he couldn’t seem to make an in game change. He reverted to he has been the last several years. I don’t know why. I don’t know if he will change back this week . It’s like a drug user. He goes straight for a year and you start to have some faith in him then he comes in stoned again and you have to start the deal with relearning to trust him again. I’m reaching the point where where he is like a race dog tonight he might run good but the next race he will just sit at the gate and watch the others run . That’s Gus never know what flavor of choclate you’ll get from the box. 😂

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

Today was a better day against the piggies. Cannot say too much bad about the offense today. It just needs to keep going in this direction for the rest of the season. Can this happen? Who knows? I sure hope so!

On 10/10/2019 at 10:29 PM, Randman5000 said:

The problem is and has been the lack of a good passing game in CGMs offense, at least from his time at AU.  As previously mentioned, there never seems to be intermediate routes, or we see a play action with a 1 or 2 WR route, where he is hoping to catch them peaking in or set it up from previous plays.  We don't see any sort of stacked level route trees or combo routes mixed into his offense.  Like Stat said in the MSU game we saw much more of a mix of the pass/run and some short and intermediate passing plays, but it hasn't continued.  UF was stacking the line and coming at Nix, but it seems and has always seemed the QB isn't allowed to make a check to a hot route.  It all seems insane from a supposed OC genius.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 9:48 PM, nixtosanders94 said:

Awesome post...but warning, you will get attacked for comparing Gus to Barfield...

Brother, there is NO comparison to Barfield for Gus. Gus has it 100X's better than Barfield ever had. More talent, more support, more money...

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, RunInRed said:

No ... but at $7M/yr in year No. 7 ... I think 10-wins is fair baseline expectations, regardless of the schedule.  I get your point; I just don't like the reality of our situation .. .it feels like we've gotten numbed into "accepting" or at least, rationalizing, 8-4 types seasons.

Throwing money at Gus and expecting him to be a better coach is like going to the gas station when the prices have risen and expecting the gas to be better quality.   He is who he is.... an 8 win coach that will suprise you against some teams and will pull together a double digit win season every 4 years.

Edited by auskip07