Tipoff at Toomer’s

aubiefifty

Auburn basketball marking start of season with ‘Tipoff at Toomer’s’

Basketball is coming to Toomer’s Corner -- for real, this time.

Auburn will hold “Tipoff at Toomer’s," a Midnight Madness-style event to mark the start of the 2019-20 season, at Toomer’s Corner on Oct. 17, the program announced Saturday. The announcement was made by Bruce Pearl on the videoboard at Jordan-Hare Stadium during the first quarter of Auburn’s home game against Mississippi State.

The event will be the Tigers’ second attempt at holding a season tipoff extravaganza at the intersection of College Street and Magnolia Avenue. Auburn originally announced the inaugural “Tipoff at Toomer’s” event last year, only for it to be later canceled due to inclement weather expected as a result of Hurricane Michael. Upon last year’s cancellation, Pearl noted that Auburn had a “blueprint now” for planning such an event and maintained optimism about scheduling one in future seasons.

He only had to wait a year to make it happen, and it will include the men’s and women’s teams.

A basketball court will be set up at the intersection in the heart of downtown Auburn for “Tipoff at Toomer’s,” which will include player introductions, a 3-point shootout, a dunk contest and three-on-three games. After the “Tiger Talk” radio show is broadcast from Toomer’s Corner at 6 p.m., the main event will start at 7 p.m., and standing-room only spots will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Pearl’s team is coming off the most successful season in program history, winning the SEC Tournament and making the program’s first-ever run to the Final Four. The Tigers lost several key pieces from that team -- including starting guards Bryce Brown and Jared Harper, first-round NBA Draft pick Chuma Okeke, forward Horace Spencer and guard/forward Malik Dunbar. Auburn returns seniors Austin Wiley, Samir Doughty, Danjel Purifoy, Anfernee McLemore and J’Von McCormick, while the rest of the roster features players in their first year on the court for Auburn: freshmen Isaac Okoro, Tyrell “Turbo” Jones," Jaylin Williams, Allen Flanigan, Babatunde Akingbola and Devan Cambridge, junior college transfer Javon Franklin and former Memphis transfer Jamal Johnson, who had to sit out last season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Auburn will officially open the 2019-20 season on Nov. 5 at Auburn Arena against Georgia Southern at 8 p.m. on SEC Network.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Can't wait! We are a basketball school after all.

War Damn Bruce

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Is there going to be any way to watch this online? 

Someone said the live feed camera at Toomer’s 

4 hours ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

All I see is Tiger Talk Radio Broadcast is at 6pm on the court. The Toomer's webcam may be up, but not sure how reliable if too many people try to watch it.

It’s hosted on YouTube, I’m sure they can handle it. Will depend on the source video though. Not sure how often it updates. I doubt it’s 30fps but I could be wrong. 

On 10/8/2019 at 8:22 AM, Zeek said:

Can't wait! We are a basketball school after all.

War Damn Bruce

@jared52 why did you downvote this post? Seriously. I have been trying to figure this out for over a week man!!! lol. I NEED ANSWERS!!!

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

@jared52 why did you downvote this post? Seriously. I have been trying to figure this out for over a week man!!! lol. I NEED ANSWERS!!!

Because AU is an #EverythingSchool. 

1 hour ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

Hey Red. You wanna sneak out with a ladder and bump that camera to the right just a tad. 😂

You won't believe this, but  I just went to the Toomer's cam and some dude is up on a bucket and he was bumping the camera a little to the right just a tad!!..Ha. Ask and you shall receive....

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

image.png

Not all heroes wear capes

Normally, I would watch college footballs  crap games on Thursday nights, but not tonight !!!!  Becoming a basketball school is just so much more fun

Archived