Seth Williams

AUght2win

He really only has these lack of effort plays against nobodies. I think he had some poor blocking in that UO first half though. Thankfully most of his poor efforts coincide with Bo, the OL and everyone else on the offense not doing much 

17 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

And he would have had some more numbers if he didn't take plays off

I agree that he does look to take plays off.  The consensus of opinion here is it's because most pass plays in the current Offense are one read routes.

Matter of fact, one play today was very glaring as you could tell, plain as day in the replay, one incompletion to him he wasn't even expecting the pass his way and was loafing on his route.  Then, oddly enough, per Andy & Stan, Bo was the one Gus fussed at after the play and not Seth.  Pretty telling as to Gus' expectations on his pass plays.

51 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree that he does look to take plays off.  The consensus of opinion here is it's because most pass plays in the current Offense are one read routes.

Matter of fact, one play today was very glaring as you could tell, plain as day in the replay, one incompletion to him he wasn't even expecting the pass his way and was loafing on his route.  Then, oddly enough, per Andy & Stan, Bo was the one Gus fussed at after the play and not Seth.  Pretty telling as to Gus' expectations on his pass plays.

I understand that Kodi was on Seth's case about the play....could be that Gus lets the responsible coaches take care of issue with guys under their direction. Unless you heard the comments you have no idea what Gus was saying to Bo...could have been about anything... 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I understand that Kodi was on Seth's case about the play....could be that Gus lets the responsible coaches take care of issue with guys under their direction. Unless you heard the comments you have no idea what Gus was saying to Bo...could have been about anything... 

And Kodi should have been.  I don't disagree with you at all on that.  Seth WAS loafing on the play & SHOULD have been reamed for it.

As for the other, I'm going by the closest thing to "inside info" I had during the game in Andy & Stan with Ronnie Brown feeding them sideline info.  So based on what they said, Gus wasn't happy that Bo passed the ball to a loafing & NOT open receiver (who didn't think the ball would come his way, so he took the play off) while another receiver was wide open.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

He was fussing at Bo because Canella was WIDE open over the middle and Bo got greedy and forced it to a receiver who wasn’t even looking 

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

And Kodi should have been.  I don't disagree with you at all on that.  Seth WAS loafing on the play & SHOULD have been reamed for it.

As for the other, I'm going by the closest thing to "inside info" I had during the game in Andy & Stan with Ronnie Brown feeding them sideline info.  So based on what they said, Gus wasn't happy that Bo passed the ball to an open receiver (who didn't think the ball would come his way, so he took the play off).

Seth was not open, though he would have been had he not loafed. As Sizzle pointed out, Sal was wide open on the play. 

12 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Seth was not open, though he would have been had he not loafed. As Sizzle pointed out, Sal was wide open on the play. 

Yes, I agree that me saying "open" in my original post was incorrect.  I support your statement that he would have been had he not loafed.  This was the crux of my point.  I think there's actually other "loafers" (besides Seth) in other plays too and that seems to be due to an understanding that for the called play, they are not on Bo's menu.

Are y'all talking about the play Seth missed the fade? Looked like a play mix up, not loafing, to me. Even loafers don't loaf on plays with a good chance of them getting the ball. 

It’s as much of a body language concern as being ready for the ball. If you play like you expect the ball even when you don’t, you are less likely to give the play away. 

I think at a certain point against a certain team, you kinda have to expect receivers to not want to sell every single play. Gus wants to get everyone involved, make a scheme that...gets everyone involved

Alabama's WRs dont have any problems with loafing 

7 hours ago, alexava said:

It’s as much of a body language concern as being ready for the ball. If you play like you expect the ball even when you don’t, you are less likely to give the play away. 

And you need to give the QB a chance when he's looking for something to do with the ball after primary receiver is not available.

One guy running a route and three just loping through the secondary is not gonna work....as noted, watch bama...all their guys are on the move looking to get open. 

He should have 10 receptions each game. The dude had 22.5 yards per catch with only 4 receptions. He was targeted I think two other times on miscommunication type plays. 

On 10/9/2019 at 6:23 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

Au just hasn’t recruited oline in a few years. Unfortunately it is going to cripple au in 2020. Makes me sick. .

I’m not so sure of that. The whole second string OL played the latter part of the game with Joey and watching film they looked decent. They will get the rest of the year to get better. We also have one of the better OL revisited classes from this year coming in next year. Not ready to say their great but I feel better about them than I did at the start of the season.

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Are y'all talking about the play Seth missed the fade? Looked like a play mix up, not loafing, to me. Even loafers don't loaf on plays with a good chance of them getting the ball. 

I don't know if you call it a fade but Seth was lined up on the left (team heading right, as you look at the TV).

Bo scrambled left, as it looked like a broken play, and quickly flicked the ball to Seth, who clearly wasn't expecting a pass as he was (pretty obviously) not looking like someone who expected a pass in a million years, and only was able to swat at the ball.

Pretty innocuous play really but apparently Sal was wide open elsewhere and perhaps was the target because Gus got onto Bo after that play according to the radio crew.

Now, who knows why he got fussed at, as 64 elloquently pointed out, but the point was that (as has been discussed before) it sometimes appears that passing play calls have 1 target, and 1 only, so the other receivers either block or "take plays off" knowing they have no part in it anyway.

I'm not saying that's for sure the case but when you watch Auburn's receivers there is certainly some evidence to support it.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

And you need to give the QB a chance when he's looking for something to do with the ball after primary receiver is not available.

One guy running a route and three just loping through the secondary is not gonna work....as noted, watch bama...all their guys are on the move looking to get open. 

OU as well tbh

Honestly, I don't think he's scratched the surface of his potential. Imagine how good he would be in an actual passing attack offense. He should have a lot more receptions and get 100 yards every other game.

15 hours ago, alexava said:

As a former wide receiver, I agree with this 100%. No matter whether you're supposed to get the ball or not, you have to be convincing to the defender that you could be getting the ball, else he'll know when you're expecting it by the amount of effort you're putting in. If he can pick up on that, then he knows when to be looking elsewhere to help stop the play. It always bugs me to see receivers taking plays off. Or, well, it bugs me for any player to take plays off, but especially receivers.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

As a former wide receiver, I agree with this 100%. No matter whether you're supposed to get the ball or not, you have to be convincing to the defender that you could be getting the ball, else he'll know when you're expecting it by the amount of effort you're putting in. If he can pick up on that, then he knows when to be looking elsewhere to help stop the play. It always bugs me to see receivers taking plays off. Or, well, it bugs me for any player to take plays off, but especially receivers.

I have picked up on it pre- snap. That’s when it really causes problems. 

8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m not so sure of that. The whole second string OL played the latter part of the game with Joey and watching film they looked decent. They will get the rest of the year to get better. We also have one of the better OL revisited classes from this year coming in next year. Not ready to say their great but I feel better about them than I did at the start of the season.

That’s fair , they played solid . I’m just nervous about the lack of recruiting showing . Good post though 

Archived