Africa

japantiger

Just had an amazing month in Africa.  Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana.  Great people, amazing hunting, great food.  If you are a hunter and can swing it; you should do it.  There is nothing like it in North America, Asia or Europe.  The abundance and variety of the game was astounding.    A common occurrence was to get on a group of of animals (for example) Oryx, get into position to make a shot; have a group of blue wildebeest move in and push them out; track both groups and reacquire the target buck; have a hartebeest herd show up and move in; and ultimately have the stalk ruined by a herd of zebra that appeared downwind of us  ...an hour and nothing but three large clouds of dust to show for it...

The meat in all the animals below except 2 went to 2 school systems (one in the Caprivi and the other in Central Namibia).  The only protein most of those kids get in the diets.  Almost all of the kids are being raised by grandparents due to the AIDs epidemic.  Most come to school with no food; the meat from the hunts is brought in each day and cooked for the kids at 10:30 (they only go to school until 13:00).  The other 2 animals were taken in the Caprivi and went to feed the Namibian Army Anti Poaching unit and a village on the Botswana border that was clearing 35km of border land to assist the anti-poaching unit.  It provides a clear area where the trackers can see anyone crossing the border poaching ivory.  Each village clear cuts 35km by 10m wide area down to the sand.  In Namibia; poachers are arrested.  In Botswana, they are shot.  

Here's a sampling of some of the game and sites...

image.png

image.pngimage.png

A "meat" buffalo; went to feed the Namibian Army Anti Poaching unit in the Caprivi

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

The Namibia Hunting team...that's Johnny's (on the left) happy face

image.png

image.png

Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

image.png

Sunrise on the Zambezi River

image.png

Okavongo River sunset

image.png

As you come into the grocery store in Uvundu...fighting AIDs is critical ... Smart Ryder...great marketing.

image.png

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

Awesome. They eat zebra?

Yes they do.  Zebra steaks are awesome.  Had zebra sausage several mornings for breakfast.

I guess it’s the same as horse which I hear is considered delicacy by some but I wouldn’t knowingly eat horse. But Africans probably eat anything they have Available. 

Were all these animals targeted or just shooting what you see? The first picture looks like a water buffalo. I would think that is a good meat.

5 hours ago, alexava said:

I guess it’s the same as horse which I hear is considered delicacy by some but I wouldn’t knowingly eat horse. But Africans probably eat anything they have Available. 

Were all these animals targeted or just shooting what you see? The first picture looks like a water buffalo. I would think that is a good meat.

The overall approach is to find old, post reproductive age, males in whatever type of animal you are targeting.  For example, for Cape Buffalo, they generally live to be between 12-14.  The 1st guy above is about 10 years old...the 2nd one closer to 12.   So the PH basically reads the animals "birth certificates" as you stalk and pick animals as you move.  On Cape Buffalo, it's hard to stalk a large herd; too many eyes and ears.  The 1st bull was from  a group of nine bachelors; 2 of the 9 fit the trophy criteria in terms of age and trophy characteristics.   This one was next to the last in the group.  The 2nd one was part of a group of 2 bachelors.  Very old; not a great trophy; but we were just looking for a large animal to provide a lot of meat.  

https://www.africa-wildlife-detective.com/african-buffalo.html

Archived