Top Auburn Running Backs

Zeek

Who are your top 10? I'll do my first list based off stats and the second list based off who I've had the pleasure of watching in my lifetime.

1. Bo Jackson | 1982-85 | 650 Attempts 4,303 Rushing Yards 43 Rushing Touchdowns 6.6 Yards Per Carry 26 Receptions 272 Receiving Yards  2 Receiving Touchdowns

2. Carnell Williams | 2001-04 | 741 Attempts 3,831 Rushing Yards 45 Rushing Touchdowns 5.2 Yards Per Carry 45 Receptions 342 Receiving Yards 1 Receiving Touchdown

3. Joe Cribbs | 1976-79 | 657 Attempts 3,368 Rushing Yards 34 Rushing Touchdowns 5.1 Yards Per Carry 30 Receptions 268 Receiving Yards 1 Receiving Touchdown

4. Tre Mason | 2011-13 | 516 Attempts 2,979 Rushing Yards 32 Rushing Touchdowns 19 Receptions 249 Receiving Yards 1 Receiving Touchdown

5. James Brooks | 1977-80 | 621 Attempts 3,523 Rushing Yards 24 Rushing Touchdowns 29 5.7 Yards Per Carry Receptions 219 Receiving Yards 5 Receiving Touchdowns

6. Ben Tate | 2006-09 | 3,321 Rushing Yards 24 Rushing Touchdowns 4.9 Yards Per Carry 53 Receptions 336 Receiving Yards BEST RB IN THE STAT OF ALABAMA DURING THE 2008-09 SEASON

7. Kerryon Johnson | 2015-17 | 519 Attempts 2,492 Rushing Yards 32 Rushing Touchdowns 4.8 Yards Per Carry 55 Receptions 478 Receiving Yards 2 Receiving Touchdowns

8. Ronnie Brown | 2000-04 | 513 Attempts 2,707 Rushing Yards 28 Rushing Touchdowns 5.3 Yards Per Carry 58 Receptions 668 Receiving Yards 2 Receiving Touchdowns

9. Stephen Davis | 1993-95 | 488 Attempts 2,811 Rushing Yards 30 Rushing Touchdowns 5.8 Yards Per Carry 33 Receptions 342 Receiving Yards 4 Receiving Touchdowns

10. Onterio McCalebb | 2009-12 | 406 Attempts 2,586 Rushing Yards 24 Rushing Touchdowns 7.2 Yards Per Carry 63 Receptions 620 Receiving Yards 3 Receiving Touchdowns

My favorite 10 to watch run

1. Cadillac Williams - inspired me to play running back in high school and coach the position now

2. Ronnie Brown - respected the way him and Caddy split carries and remained so humble. I wonder what both of their stats would have been without so many shared carries.

2. Tre Mason - Still think he deserved the Heisman and I hate how his NFL career has panned out but man he was a monster. His 1,000 yard season during an awful year was amazing and gritty.

3. Kerryon Johnson - So shifty. I didn't realize how much he carried this team until he went pro. He is a special runner I wish we could have had for one more season.

4. Onterio McCalebb - Prime example of what a guy with his skill set can accomplish with creative and balance play calling

5. Kenny Irons - Wow I still think he's underrated. Him and his brother were awesome Tigers.

6. Ben Tate - Definition of a work horse back who also split a lot of carries. Still think he was right to claim his title as the best back in the state that year. True Auburn man.

7. Michael Dyer - Obviously a "what could have been" story but man he was fun to watch. His knee staying up will remain legendary.

8. Cameron Artis-Payne - So recent but somewhat forgotten. He was a monster for us.

9. Rudi Johnson - My dad's favorite. I barely remember watching him in college but his pro career was fun.

10. Peyton Barber - another guy I wish we could have had an additional season with. 

1. Bo Jackson- I'm plenty old enough to have seen him play. I don't remember what I enjoyed the most... watching him outrun everyone on his breakaway runs or watching the carnage left behind when someone was bold enough to get in his way. 

2. Tie - Carnell Williams/Ronnie Brown- never cared which one was in, loved them both.

4. Brent Fullwood - Georgia never did tackle him on the play that was blown dead. 

5. Kenny Irons- hard, quick runner, he had an entire season's worth of yards against LSU in '05, over 200.  It was in Baton Rouge so you know the outcome. 

I'm didn't list Kerryon but I did love to watch him. I just know he'll have plenty of votes from the younger people here. 

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My favorite 10 to watch run

1. Cadillac Williams - inspired me to play running back in high school and coach the position now

2. Ronnie Brown - respected the way him and Caddy split carries and remained so humble. I wonder what both of their stats would have been without so many shared carries.

2. Tre Mason - Still think he deserved the Heisman and I hate how his NFL career has panned out but man he was a monster. His 1,000 yard season during an awful year was amazing and gritty.

3. Kerryon Johnson - So shifty. I didn't realize how much he carried this team until he went pro. He is a special runner I wish we could have had for one more season.

4. Onterio McCalebb - Prime example of what a guy with his skill set can accomplish with creative and balance play calling

5. Kenny Irons - Wow I still think he's underrated. Him and his brother were awesome Tigers.

6. Ben Tate - Definition of a work horse back who also split a lot of carries. Still think he was right to claim his title as the best back in the state that year. True Auburn man.

7. Michael Dyer - Obviously a "what could have been" story but man he was fun to watch. His knee staying up will remain legendary.

8. Cameron Artis-Payne - So recent but somewhat forgotten. He was a monster for us.

9. Rudi Johnson - My dad's favorite. I barely remember watching him in college but his pro career was fun.

10. Peyton Barber - another guy I wish we could have had an additional season with. 

We basically got the same guys, just a bit mixed order :lol: 

1. Bo Jackson - kinda hesitant to put him here as I never watched him live (too young), but his highlights are awe inspiring.

2. Tre Mason - Hard to point out exactly what it was, probably just him being such a damn tough runner. Extremely fun to watch

3. Ben Tate - Seriously thought he was gonna be a superstar in the NFL based on some of what he did at Auburn

4. Michael Dyer - Kinda hit and miss due to his off the field shenanigans, but he was a perfect fit for Gus's offense once upon a time.

5a. Cadillac - Him and Brown were very fun to watch, and I'd have them higher if I would have had the oppurtunity to watch them a bit more, missed 2 seasons due to Army stuff/Iraq.

5b. Ronnie Brown - ^ditto

7. Kerryon Johnson - Very smooth way about him when he ran, one of those players that actually seem slow if you look at their gait, only to see them blowing by defenders a second later

8. O-Mac - His bowl game feats and the after bowl interview alone get him on the list, dudes mouth can run as fast as his feet. :lol: 

9. Peyton Barber - A dude I didn't originally think was gonna do much made me a believer over a very short period of time.

10. Kam Pettway - As soon as the injury came and teams were coached to just dive at ankles it ended... but man, for a time watching him destroy people and seeing defenders actively try to avoid contact with him was fun as hell! 

1. Bo Jackson
2. Brent Fullwood
3. Stephen Davis
4. James Brooks
5. Ronnie Brown
6. Caddy
7. Joe Cribbs
8. Kenny Irons
9. James Bostic
10. Rudi

Honorable mention Fullbacks: Tommy Agee, Joe Frazier, Tony Richardson, Fred Beasley.

1. Bo Jackson - I was young, but I don't think I've ever seen a running back both so exciting and physically dominant

2. Ronnie Brown - Carnell had better numbers, but I loved how physical a runner Ronnie was. In a time of dancers, he was something of a throwback

3. Rudi Johnson - This guy would not go down. He wasn't the fastest or the quickest or the most athletic, but you really had to tackle the guy. 

4. Carnell Williams - Extremely exciting runner who was a legitimate big play threat anytime he touched the ball. 

5. Tre Mason - In 2013, this guy was a battering ram. Compared to what he looked like his first season starting, the transformation was amazing. Toward the end of the year, he seemed unstoppable between the tackles. 

6. Stephen Davis - It's hard for me to remember much about him except it was clear we had perhaps the most talented back since Bo. He never panned out to his capabilities in college, but was still something to watch. 

7. Kerryon Johnson - At some point in 2017, it just clicked for KJ and he became much better than this ranking indicates. If it had clicked earlier in his Auburn career, he might have been as good as we ever had. 

8. Ben Tate - Another guy I never felt played up to his potential, but he came on late to be a formidable runner. He was fun to watch in 2009. 

9. Lionel James - I have very early memories of watching the little train blow through a hole and surprise everyone. 

10. Fred Beasley - This guy is why I can't stand Terry Bowden. He was an absolute monster in high school. Most times he was allowed to touch the ball as a running back for Auburn, he made something happen. He went on to a solid career as an NFL FB, but I always wondered what might have been under someone other than the Tot. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Kenny Irons - Wow I still think he's underrated. Him and his brother were awesome Tigers.

This dude was probably my favorite Auburn RB to watch. Kid was so damn violent lol.

Some good lists here. I am not going to post stats too much research. Just my list and a couple reasons why. This list is also based off of how I felt watching each individual play, not on talent alone.

1.) Bo Jackson- Nuff said

2.) Ronnie Brown- Ronnie was a beast. He would have probably been a Heisman winner in his own backfield, but being the selfless player he is he stayed and split time with another all time great. What I loved about Ronnie was his physicality and his hands. Dude was a beast out of the backfield receiving. 

2B) Cadillac Williams- Such a joy to watch. Gave me some of my best AU moments. What an amazing privilege we had of watching this kid along with 2A in a backfield together. Trulely remarkable.

4.) Tre Mason- I almost had Tre number 2. I don't know that there has ever been a RB that I had more confidence in getting a 3rd and short than Tre Mason. Wasn't high on him until his JR year, but his fumbling disappeared and he became a legend in this ole boys eyes.

5.) Rudi Johnson- To me if we are going on talent alone, he would be further down IMO, but heart was all Rudi. He also came and rejuvenated an AU rushing attack that had fallen off a ledge under Tator Tot recruiting. Had a very good Career too.

6.) Kenny Irons- Purely electric. I think if you took Irons agility and combined with Ronnie Brown's toughness....you get BO 2.0. Kenny was great. He made me feel like any given play he could take it to the house...because he often would. Never forget the LSU game. 

7.) KJ- This one may be a bit more personal. Having seen KJ play in highschool and following him throughout his Auburn career and seeing him develop into a top tier RB was amazing. KJ had patience that very few ever reach. He also had a nasty one cut and would hurdle yo behind, too!

8.) Michael Dyer- Would have loved for him to stay at Auburn and on the right path. He was a talent. Great strength and acceleration and balance. I will always hold a place for him.

9.) Ben Tate- this is one I really took for granted while he was at Auburn. I honestly wasn't his biggest fan at first but his talent can't be denied. After he left Auburn I have since watched his highlights many times and shamed myself for being greedy while he was here. He was everything you want in AU RB.

10.) Stephen Davis- Would love to see S.D. in 2013 AU Offense. A combo of speed and Power

There are so many more over the years that played significant roles for AU and for myself and my own viewing pleasure. I know alot of the great befor the late 80's I have only seen footage so I can't put them in my list because I can;t describe how they made me feel watching them. WAR DAMN EAGLE> Who is next to break into this list?

Bo Jackson to Auburn RBs is what Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods was to golf so that's too easy. 😎

#1: Brent Fullwood is my personal favorite (besides Bo, of course).

Beyond that,  it's hard to put them in order.  Sorta like trying to name your favorite child, LOL!

Only naming ones that I personally witnessed (by year)...

William Andrews, Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, Lionel James, Tommie Agee, Stacy Danley & James Joseph (were a pretty formidable 2-headed monster in '88 & '89), Tony Richardson, James Bostic, Fred Beasley, Rudy Johnson, Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Kenny Irons, Tre Mason, Kerryon Johnson, Kam Pettway

1-Bo Jackson

2-Tucker Fredrickson

3-Terry Henely- Put him in there because he had guts and was tough as a pineknot. A true 3 yards and a cloud of dust back. He was money for a first down on 3rd and 1.....

4-Mixed bag after that...….we've had some good'uns  come through the Plains. 

28 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Bo Jackson to Auburn RBs is what Jack Nicklaus or Tiger Woods was to golf so that's too easy. 😎

Beyond that,  it's hard to put them in order.  Sorta like trying to name your favorite child, LOL!

George Forman figured that one out. 

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

George Forman figured that one out. 

Outta Likes! 👍

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I’m not up for naming a list but one of the most  underrated was Kenny Irons. Dude was a absolute joy to watch. 

He's my #2 behind Bo as far as joy to watch

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

Who are your top 10? I'll do my first list based off stats and the second list based off who I've had the pleasure of watching in my lifetime.

1. Bo Jackson | 1982-85 | 650 Attempts 4,303 Rushing Yards 43 Rushing Touchdowns 6.6 Yards Per Carry 26 Receptions 272 Receiving Yards  2 Receiving Touchdowns

2. Carnell Williams | 2001-04 | 741 Attempts 3,831 Rushing Yards 45 Rushing Touchdowns 5.2 Yards Per Carry 45 Receptions 342 Receiving Yards 1 Receiving Touchdown

3. Joe Cribbs | 1976-79 | 657 Attempts 3,368 Rushing Yards 34 Rushing Touchdowns 5.1 Yards Per Carry 30 Receptions 268 Receiving Yards 1 Receiving Touchdown

4. Tre Mason | 2011-13 | 516 Attempts 2,979 Rushing Yards 32 Rushing Touchdowns 19 Receptions 249 Receiving Yards 1 Receiving Touchdown

5. James Brooks | 1977-80 | 621 Attempts 3,523 Rushing Yards 24 Rushing Touchdowns 29 5.7 Yards Per Carry Receptions 219 Receiving Yards 5 Receiving Touchdowns

6. Ben Tate | 2006-09 | 3,321 Rushing Yards 24 Rushing Touchdowns 4.9 Yards Per Carry 53 Receptions 336 Receiving Yards BEST RB IN THE STAT OF ALABAMA DURING THE 2008-09 SEASON

7. Kerryon Johnson | 2015-17 | 519 Attempts 2,492 Rushing Yards 32 Rushing Touchdowns 4.8 Yards Per Carry 55 Receptions 478 Receiving Yards 2 Receiving Touchdowns

8. Ronnie Brown | 2000-04 | 513 Attempts 2,707 Rushing Yards 28 Rushing Touchdowns 5.3 Yards Per Carry 58 Receptions 668 Receiving Yards 2 Receiving Touchdowns

9. Stephen Davis | 1993-95 | 488 Attempts 2,811 Rushing Yards 30 Rushing Touchdowns 5.8 Yards Per Carry 33 Receptions 342 Receiving Yards 4 Receiving Touchdowns

10. Onterio McCalebb | 2009-12 | 406 Attempts 2,586 Rushing Yards 24 Rushing Touchdowns 7.2 Yards Per Carry 63 Receptions 620 Receiving Yards 3 Receiving Touchdowns

Any list that doesn't have Kenny Irons is suspect at best.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Any list that doesn't have Kenny Irons is suspect at best.

We are spoiled at Running Back. Though there are some that are big coulda beens like Dyer, Jovon, and Pettway.

Agreed with someone else.. who is next???

Side note: I loved Brad Lester but he’s not a great “where are they now” story.

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

We are spoiled at Running Back. Though there are some that are big coulda beens like Dyer, Jovon, and Pettway.

Agreed with someone else.. who is next???

I'm just biased, Kenny was an extremely good runner and so fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm just biased, Kenny was an extremely good runner and so fun to watch.

Agreed, I had him on my personal list just not my stats based list. He’s so fun!

Didn’t we have Brandon Jacobs at one point too?

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Agreed, I had him on my personal list just not my stats based list. He’s so fun!

Didn’t we have Brandon Jacobs at one point too?

Yeah, that 2003 squad had him Caddie and Ronnie.  He was a great back, just behind to great backs.

Side note:  2003 was the biggest waste of talent in AU history, closely followed by 2015.

18 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Yeah, that 2003 squad had him Caddie and Ronnie.  He was a great back, just behind to great backs.

Side note:  2003 was the biggest waste of talent in AU history, closely followed by 2015.

Yeah Jacobs had a really solid NFL career 

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Only naming ones that I personally witnessed (by year)...

William Andrews, Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, Lionel James, Tommie Agee, Stacy Danley & James Joseph (were a pretty formidable 2-headed monster in '88 & '89), Tony Richardson, James Bostic, Fred Beasley, Rudy Johnson, Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, Kenny Irons, Tre Mason, Kerryon Johnson, Kam Pettway

Thank you’72. Glad to see some love for Stacy Danley and James Joseph. Danley knew how to beat bama. Got stronger as the game went on.

Archived