Top Auburn Quarterbacks

Zeek

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

LOL yes!

We'd have 1 hour between final bell and having to report to the Fieldhouse to begin prepping for the game.  Me & my buddy, Tony, would go to Wendy's, get a couple of those Big Gulp cups they had in the 80's, pour the drink out (saving the ice) and giddily refill the cup with that swamp juice or we'd mix vodka into the Mtn Dew.

It was fun until halftime when we'd then down the Goodies Headache Powder with a ton of Gatorade. LOL!

This is a great story! I hope your QB didn't suffer any extra hits because of his buzzing OL!  :laugh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, this was before the conditioning aspect was so forefront.  We barely worked out (especially in the off-season), we didn't have to show up Sat a.m. post game (like most probably do now), we didn't have camps, etc.... and we were in the highest classification in GA.  It just was more fun and less "work" back then. Frankly, I'm surprised my school had anybody go to a major college but former Auburn DC Ted Roof graduated from my HS roughly 10 years before me, as well as Jeremiah McClary (both played at Ga. Tech).

Good times way back when. Sounds a lot like back in my playing days except I played OL for a small 2A school that was surrounded by several 3A powers and a few 1A powers. That good ole bootlegged Bud and Schlitz dulled a whole lot of pain(LOL!) back then along with more afterwards and a BC powder in the mornings after.

Oh the other thing I was gonna say is Nick Marshall and Cam’s completion percentages might have been even higher if it weren’t for so many attempted long bombs lol.

36 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Oh the other thing I was gonna say is Nick Marshall and Cam’s completion percentages might have been even higher if it weren’t for so many attempted long bombs lol.

Those bombs dropped the percentage but the number of screens those guys threw evened things out IMO

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

The bomb is still the most exciting play in football although like Dye always said, when you throw the ball three things can happen and two of them are bad. I still love to see them unfold. 

Hard to argue too much about this list, but everything isn't always about the best numbers.  Dameyune Craig was fun to watch, but he also shouldered 70+% of that offense during his time because we struggled so mightily to run the ball. Stan White was steady and dependable and was at the helm of most of our undefeated 1993 season. Both Cam and Nick were exciting and nigh unstoppable at times doing their respective things. I'm a big fan of Jason Campbell and Brandon Cox...did either ever lose to Bama?, and Reggie Slack had one of the biggest wins in Auburn history at the first home IB.  Sadly I wasn't around for the Sullivan years.

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

His family owns a pool company in my area and his cousins would talk about how often he'd be hungover for a game and supposedly drunk for one game as well. I think he was a warrior too but I don't think he had any grand delusions of making it to the pros. I think the 2007 season with three freshmen OL and being benched for Burns at one point probably didn't help. Love the guy.

I saw those rumors being spread around at the time. All of that was nonsense from people that didn't know anything about how Auburn football worked. At that time the team departed Auburn the afternoon before a game and went to a motel in Columbus, Ga. There they had team meetings, ate dinner and watched a movie as a group before curfew and bed check.

Birmingham people were telling stories about Cox drinking in bars in downtown Auburn the night before games. That simply wasn't possible considering the above schedule. Given that so much of that stuff couldn't have been true I didn't believe any of it then and don't believe any of it now.

1) Pat Sullivan. He turned AU football around.

2) Cam Newton. The most talented but he only played for AU one season

3) Stan White. Hung in there through think and thin for four years.

4) Reggie Slack. Had to be seen to be appreciated

5) Brandon Cox. A winner all the way.

Beyond that it comes down to splitting hairs.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

1) Pat Sullivan. He turned AU football around.

2) Cam Newton. The most talented but he only played for AU one season

3) Stan White. Hung in there through think and thin for four years.

4) Reggie Slack. Had to be seen to be appreciated

5) Brandon Cox. A winner all the way.

Beyond that it comes down to splitting hairs.

No Nick Marshall? K. Aight Mike. You really tried it now. I will NEVER forget this absolute unforgivable act you just committed. 

eer.gif

1. Cam Newton - Had the single greatest college football season ever.

2. Nick Marshall- One of the most electric players in SEC History.

3. Dameyune Craig- A one man show! Put that 97 team on his freaking back and skull dragged them across the finish line to 10 wins. SHOULD of won a SEC Title. SMH. 

4. Brandon Cox- Undefeated vs Bama. Enough said. His performances against Georgia sans 05 on the other hand...... 

5. Ben Leard- IDK why I just always enjoyed watching him play. It was tough for the last spot of him or J Cam.

Charlie Trotman. Ran the option with William Andrews, Joe Cribbs, And James Brooks.  In tear away jerseys. 

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

3. Dameyune Craig- A one man show! Put that 97 team on his freaking back and skull dragged them across the finish line to 10 wins. SHOULD of won a SEC Title. SMH. 

4. Brandon Cox- Undefeated vs Bama. Enough said. His performances against Georgia sans 05 on the other hand...... 

5. Ben Leard- IDK why I just always enjoyed watching him play. It was tough for the last spot of him or J Cam.

No Pat Sullivan? They handed him the Heisman just because? About those running QB's, he was a little before my time at Auburn but Jimmy Sidle was the first QB to ever lead the nation in rushing. If you want runners, he should be in there somewhere. Then there was Travis Tidwell,  before any of our times at AU but picked #7 overall in the 1950 NFL draft. He must have been pretty good.

I'm thinking this thread has veered off from "best QB" to "favorite QB that I saw in person" but that's OK too.

19 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

LOL yes!

We'd have 1 hour between final bell and having to report to the Fieldhouse to begin prepping for the game.  Me & my buddy, Tony, would go to Wendy's, get a couple of those Big Gulp cups they had in the 80's, pour the drink out (saving the ice) and giddily refill the cup with that swamp juice or we'd mix vodka into the Mtn Dew.

It was fun until halftime when we'd then down the Goodies Headache Powder with a ton of Gatorade. LOL!

Big Gulp.........oh thank heaven for 7 Eleven😂

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dude Dameyune was a leader no question.........didn't he slap a lineman on the arse on national television because of a false start.

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No Pat Sullivan? They handed him the Heisman just because? About those running QB's, he was a little before my time at Auburn but Jimmy Sidle was the first QB to ever lead the nation in rushing. If you want runners, he should be in there somewhere. Then there was Travis Tidwell,  before any of our times at AU but picked #7 overall in the 1950 NFL draft. He must have been pretty good.

I'm thinking this thread has veered off from "best QB" to "favorite QB that I saw in person" but that's OK too.

Didn't Sidle's son end up going to alabammer.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Why would I pick a QB who played several years before I was born as my favorite? YES IT IS EXACTLY THAT. Our FAVORITE QBs. Still does not excuse you omitting NICK FREAKING MARSHALL.......... I cannot believe you did that Mike. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Amen to this.   And to have Ben Leard in any top 5 is hilarious.   No matter if you saw him in person or not, not having Pat Sullivan as number 1 is unAuburn.  I say because he played four years  at Auburn and Cam only played 1.   Cam had a great season and deserves a 1b. 

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Amen to this.   And to have Ben Leard in any top 5 is hilarious.   No matter if you saw him in person or not, not having Pat Sullivan as number 1 is unAuburn.  I say because he played four years  at Auburn and Cam only played 1.   Cam had a great season and deserves a 1b. 

Man I hate it when I agree with mikey but yeah Pat HAS to be on there! I probably wouldn’t put him top 5 but I’ve always thought Reggie Slack was underrated. 

And Jeff Burger of course...😏

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Man I hate it when I agree with mikey but yeah Pat HAS to be on there! I probably wouldn’t put him top 5 but I’ve always thought Reggie Slack was underrated. 

And Jeff Burger of course...😏

This is a list for your top 5 FAVORITE Auburn Qbs though........... It is way worse to not have Nick freaking Marshall on that list. I MEAN COME ON!!! The guy who was the main factor in us going from last to first! I thought a big Gus lover like Mikey would have Malzahns best QB since he became Head Coach on his top 5 favorite AU QB lists! lol.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is a list for your top 5 FAVORITE Auburn Qbs though........... It is way worse to not have Nick freaking Marshall on that list. I MEAN COME ON!!! The guy who was the main factor in us going from last to first! I thought a big Gus lover like Mikey would have Malzahns best QB since he became Head Coach on his top 5 favorite AU QB lists! lol.

Love me some Nick Marshall man. Talk about underrated QBs! 

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Love me some Nick Marshall man. Talk about underrated QBs! 

THE ICE MAN!!!!! Dude was unflappable under pressure.

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why would I pick a QB who played several years before I was born as my favorite? YES IT IS EXACTLY THAT. Our FAVORITE QBs. Still does not excuse you omitting NICK FREAKING MARSHALL.......... I cannot believe you did that Mike. 

Because the thread title didn't say favorite, it said top AU QB's, which is a very different thing from favorite. Marshall and Craig were fun to watch. Randy Campbell was too but that doesn't put them in my top five.

15 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Didn't Sidle's son end up going to alabammer.

I don't recall anything about Jimmy Sidle having a son, athlete or not. Not saying he didn't, I just don't remember anything like that.

I think Randy Campbell was the most under rated and least appreciated QB.  As a wishbone QB, he had to make important decisions on every play.  And he led those teams into IB wins and into NC discussions (we were robbed of the NC the '83 season).

Branden Cox is the most over rated and I don't understand how he could be listed on any one's top 5.  While I remember him making a last second throw to beat GA (I think his Sophomore year), I remember his last two years to be absolutely dreadful.  He would catch the snap from the shotgun and immediately curl up into a ball on the ground.  You could blame this on his OL.  But he could have at least tried to make a play.  And if he played drunk or hungover....that would explain a lot.

28 minutes ago, countoff said:

I think Randy Campbell was the most under rated and least appreciated QB.  As a wishbone QB, he had to make important decisions on every play.  And he led those teams into IB wins and into NC discussions (we were robbed of the NC the '83 season).

Branden Cox is the most over rated and I don't understand how he could be listed on any one's top 5.  While I remember him making a last second throw to beat GA (I think his Sophomore year), I remember his last two years to be absolutely dreadful.  He would catch the snap from the shotgun and immediately curl up into a ball on the ground.  You could blame this on his OL.  But he could have at least tried to make a play.  And if he played drunk or hungover....that would explain a lot.

I agree that Cox wouldn't be top 5 but he was a pretty tough QB. He got hammered in some games and would come back out and finish the game. I don't remember him curling into a ball but with the shots he took I may have done that myself. Auburn had a .756 winning percentage with him as a starter which is by far better than the .631 that our history shows. Sometimes it's not the skill but the will that gets the job done. 

Archived