We have a HUGE WR Usage Problem

Malcolm_FleX48

Just now, CCTAU said:

Gus already has an offense that he created. He doesn't need your suggestions.

I'm not seeing dripping yellow, so I can't tell if this is serious or sarcastic...but I think it's that last sentence that is responsible for the rollercoaster ride/questionable results of the last seven years. And offense, it definitely is.  But for the offense it's meant to be, where success and consistency are concerned, it must evolve and outrace the competition, which to date it hasn't done, which is rightfully under scrutiny on too many threads to count.  Malcolm has great things to say...please carry on!

On 10/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, aubaseball said:

I posted in another topic about having JG in on third and short or four and short situations.   I don’t believe it could be stopped as long as the plays are mixed up out of the same formations.  

I’ve played sports (all three in HS and one in college) and I’m completely at a loss on why someone that is paid so much money can’t comprehend on how to properly utilize the assets that they have.  

Lack of common sense.

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Gus already has an offense that he created. He doesn't need your suggestions.

Not sure if jest or not, but this much is true that he created it. (Not really though considering that he adopted an older Wing T and just added a few spread concepts. He really was a former DC in High School.)

I just wonder if he has ever given any thought to how it has held up over the years.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Not sure if jest or not, but this much is true that he created it. (Not really though considering that he adopted an older Wing T and just added a few spread concepts. He really was a former DC in High School.)

I just wonder if he has ever given any thought to how it has held up over the years.

BOOM!!!

13 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

He's the mad scientist. You are just an apprentice. 

Bow before his greatness. He will never listen to anyone.

4 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

He's the mad scientist. You are just an apprentice. 

Bow before his greatness. He will never listen to anyone.

Then next season, he can go coach the squirrels and chipmunks at Toomer's Corner.

14 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Adapting and becoming a more prolific passing attack. 

I don't see that happening under the current tenure. However, LSU and Bama may provide a demonstration of your principles that resonate loud enough with the appropriate people to bring about a change here also.;)

Remember that year when Gus ran all those innovative passing schemes and everyone commented what a great job AU was doing with developing their receivers?  Neither do I. 

He has done a little better with his passing schemes and playcalling this year, until the uf game. Then he gets scared like he did against clemson multiple times, lsu multiple times etc , and trades in the O for last year's model that had him on the hot seat to start this year (AGAIN). 

22 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

Remember that year when Gus ran all those innovative passing schemes and everyone commented what a great job AU was doing with developing their receivers?  Neither do I. 

He has done a little better with his passing schemes and playcalling this year, until the uf game. Then he gets scared like he did against clemson multiple times, lsu multiple times etc , and trades in the O for last year's model that had him on the hot seat to start this year (AGAIN). 

The issue is he is deathly afraid of putting his QB in positions to turn it over. I believe Stat said this as well as few years ago. Schwartz is a big weapon and teams should be afraid of him, but we rarely throw it to him unless it's a bomb or a sweep. We need to get him the ball in space and let his legs do the work. Gus likes low percentage to turnover ratio plays. A pass over the middle if tipped or deflected is probably going to be picked.  That's why our pass routes are predictable. Last year Gus kept saying at press conference s that we are a power run, play action team, that's his offense. Maybe next year he'll add some wrinkles as he calls it, but I don't see him changing his offense, or adapting.... unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Malcolm_FleX48

You are the greatest message board poster in the history of the internet !!!!!!! when you come to the table, you gonna' eat. Seriously, you are the best poster that I have ever read

I agree, super knowledgeable and willing to engage in discussion with decorum. I learn a lot from his post. 

So like in our PM 's you're saying that we tend to specialize guys instead of letting a guy be a complete wr? 

How about you talk about a qb who is asked to carry an offense, how they have to deal with such great fatigue that it can lead to a couple of throws being off target but it's not necessarily they can't throw......wait I'm moving too fast keep on saying what you're saying......I'm sitting back clapping like will Smith did when he got the job in pursuit of happiness lol. Tear in my eye and everything lol

Giving Anthony Schwartz only one touch at Florida is INFURIATING. You know why, aside from the obvious? Because it's something ONLY Gus Malzahn would do. 

Only Gus could be so obsessed with the nuances of his scheme that he wouldn't get the ball to one of the most dangerous players in America. He is so backward about basic, common sense strategy. Get the ball to your best players! 

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Giving Anthony Schwartz only one touch at Florida is INFURIATING. You know why, aside from the obvious? Because it's something ONLY Gus Malzahn would do. 

Only Gus could be so obsessed with the nuances of his scheme that he wouldn't get the ball to one of the most dangerous players in America. He is so backward about basic, common sense strategy. Get the ball to your best players! 

Right. But its indicative of the larger problem that the scheme itself is overrated and very antiquated when it doesn't make USE of the abilities and skills of ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS PLAYERS IN AMERICA.

I know its two different leagues,but if Gus would watch how Bill used Watson when the texans played the chiefs.I also think anthony should be used like how Andy uses Tyrek Hill

On 10/11/2019 at 9:31 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

If he is stuck in his ways then yes.

I'm not averse to Alabama so I can say for sure, Saban is the pinnacle of what a Head Coach should be. He has no problem adapting to the times, he has a specialty and stays in that specialty (DBs). He doesn't try to do more than he really can so you won't find him trying to micromanage and call the plays (I assume this is from Bill Bel. "Do your job"). And his team takes on different forms every year based on what they've got. 

Its a shame to say that Alabama is probably more modernized on offense than we are and they are the most-stubborn of schools as far as tradition goes. From a methodical ground and pound w/ a game manager at QB, they've turned into a Big-12 style spread with weapons all over the receiving corps, a do-it-all backfield and impressive Time of Possession/Scoring Ratio. 

You can't be a dinosaur in today's game of football and when you look at the other teams in the SEC, the one team that has changed the least is Auburn. Even LSU is an explosive offensive attack that has achieved balance if not 60/40 slant to the pass over the run now. 

Why haven't we?

All we have to do is look at who UAT/LSU head coaches have hired on their offensive staff to see where the innovation and creativity originated.

LSU hired Joe Brady for their offense, former Saints OC to help Steve Ensminger (OC) and to coach up Joe Burrow - and we see phenomenal change in LSU's offensive production.   Hell, they completely revamped that entire offensive scheme in one off season.

UAT hired Sarkisian back as OC, + they have no less than 3 more former NFL coaches on that offensive staff to help with the scheme and game planning.  

Now lets look at CGM's staff, a bunch of guys with little to no college (no SEC) coaching experience are helping and advising a HC/OC who is stuck in own offensive philosophy. 

Name another top program that would've given Kodi Burns (31 yrs old), Carnell Williams (37 yrs old), Kenny Dillingham (28 yrs old) the time of day. These guys have the job of a lifetime and they will never challenge the hand that's feeding them, they will go right along with the plan and ride that gravy train for as long as possible.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Now lets look at CGM's staff, a bunch of guys with little to no college (no SEC) coaching experience are helping and advising a HC/OC who is stuck in own offensive philosophy. 

Name another top program that would've given Kodi Burns (31 yrs old), Carnell Williams (37 yrs old), Kenny Dillingham (28 yrs old) the time of day. These guys have the job of a lifetime and they will never challenge the hand that's feeding them, they will go right along with the plan and ride that gravy train for as long as possible.

And it's not even giving any one of those guys a job. It's the mentality that giving all those guys jobs at once represents.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:21 PM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Added 2 new sample plays to OP:

image.png

A versatile pass play w/ safety nets built in that stresses all natures of defense. 3 routes that go vertical in some manner to stress Cov2. (One of which is a opposite seam route.) Built in hot mesh by the X in case of blitz. Also a wheel route to replace the X's spot which forces LB (assuming they're in nickel and only use 2 LBs to first read the mesh and then have to get out on a wheel w/ a back with plenty of space to cover.) H runs a 10 Yd. Out which can be a safe throw in case of perfectly played Cov3. And Z goes Vertical to clear out space or provide a home run throw should DBs miss assign or get tangled up.

image.png

Another run play, this time out of a stacked look to the left. TE/Slot 2 is detached and in slot and can run a tunnel screen for QB to pitch after reading & choosing not to pull or hand off should the backside backer flow too aggressively. Or he can hand off if the playside backer gets stuck in mud at which point the TE or slot simply walls off that backer through the hole like a FB would allowing for a cutback should the center or guard & tackle cut their men off. QB has option to read edge defender & pull it should they crash the mesh at which he can look to throw the screen to the H (kind of a tricky throw if he pulls it but can be done.) Or he can throw the screen if he sees favorable leverage. Also has the option to hit the RPO slant depending on CB leverage on the Z. Just another basic run play that has many ways to make the defenders wrong regardless thanks to playing with 4 receivers all spread out. This play works because the extra spacing gives the QB more time to make reads than if they were lined up closer.

What do you use to draw your plays? Good stuff man.

I'm just a regular ole RB coach but it's looking like I'll be the interim OC here in a week or two. We're running an old school I-formation that this high school has ran since its conception but the plan is to shift to a modern spread offense next season. I'm very excited about the transition and I'm going through all my notebooks where I've been scribbling plays since I was a high schooler lol.

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

What do you use to draw your plays? Good stuff man.

I'm just a regular ole RB coach but it's looking like I'll be the interim OC here in a week or two. We're running an old school I-formation that this high school has ran since its conception but the plan is to shift to a modern spread offense next season. I'm very excited about the transition and I'm going through all my notebooks where I've been scribbling plays since I was a high schooler lol.

Just plain ol' Microsoft onenote. But I use a pretty high-spec 2 in 1 computer complete with a special pen that provides a paper-like writing experience and just doodle from there.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Just plain ol' Microsoft onenote. But I use a pretty high-spec 2 in 1 computer complete with a special pen that provides a paper-like writing experience and just doodle from there.

Why aren’t you

coaching? Or you could very well be. 

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why aren’t you

coaching? Or you could very well be. 

Not much desire to at this point. 

I'd put it like this, football after I graduated and finished playing has probably only been a very small percent of my overall interest. Granted, it was an extreme outlet for a lot of my competitive needs, taught me unmatched discipline and long-suffering, and served to keep me grounded throughout college, I don't have too much desire to be around the game unless I'm just playing it. And time and finances don't permit me to make attempts at a pro-career. (Despite maintaining and improving on my shape and abilities since leaving the game.)

Archived