Who gets more RB2 carries against Arkansas?

dyehardfanAU

Most RB2 Carries vs. Arkansas?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which RB would backup Kam Martin the most?

• DJ Williams
    • Shaun Shivers
    • Malik Miller

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Depends on who fumbles first

I see 4 laughs to this but it’s incredibly true. 
Shivers could be the guy to carry it a good bit. Against Arkansas we SHOULD be rolling enough that it doesn’t matter who gets it. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It probably won't matter. We could play the least effective back and he'll probably look good against Arky. Then the next week we figure out it was fool's gold.

I fear this will lead to even more situational subbing by Gus if he's not comfortable with any of them as a total package of running, blocking, receiving. I would like to see Joiner get a shot and take advantage of it. 

One things for sure after watching LSU last night. Gus better use Arkansas to figure out something on offense scheme and personnel wise or AU is going to get our doors blown off in Baton Rouge. The AU defense is good but that LSU offense ain't being shut down. If we can't break 30pts on offense, no chance.

1 hour ago, CR said:

One things for sure after watching LSU last night. Gus better use Arkansas to figure out something on offense scheme and personnel wise or AU is going to get our doors blown off in Baton Rouge. The AU defense is good but that LSU offense ain't being shut down. If we can't break 30pts on offense, no chance.

Orgeron is arguably the 2nd best HC in the conference. 

9 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Miller has looked faster this year. Not that he’s blazing by any means, but with his size and perceived increase in speed, may be a Pettway type guy.

Pettway had incredibly quick feet for a big man. Unfortunately Miller does not share that trait!

21 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

If he's capable of hitting hot read slants/curls in RPO after a zone read/inverted veer decision then there's no reason for him not to get several series at QB.

Mix it up between our normal offense and Wildcat looks.  Have Williams in at RB.

If we cut out the slow developing plays where our OL/TE/HB is supposed to hold a block for too long it'd do wonders as well.

If history is any indication,  we'll probably run the ball with decent efficiency and hit some big shots on an inferior Arkansas squad and feel that everything is fixed. KMart will look good against Arkansas and the others may get decent Carrie's, but no clear leader will emerge so Gus will stick with his loyal Senior RB.

Arkansas fans are dead in the water. They already want Chad Morris gone, not that I blame them. They just loss to a UK team who converted a WR to a QB this week. UK also had over 300 rush yards against them. This is why I say this is the perfect game to open up all competition from the offensive standpoint. It only makes sense. 

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

Pettway had incredibly quick feet for a big man. Unfortunately Miller does not share that trait!

He did before he had his knee injury. Staff seems to think differently fwiw.

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

Arkansas fans are dead in the water. They already want Chad Morris gone, not that I blame them. They just loss to a UK team who converted a WR to a QB this week. UK also had over 300 rush yards against them. This is why I say this is the perfect game to open up all competition from the offensive standpoint. It only makes sense. 

Sounds like he could be back to OC level when the next coach is looking for one.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Sounds like he could be back to OC level when the next coach is looking for one.

Do you think Arky will make another run at Gus?

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Please don't remind me of the worst decision AU has made in my lifetime.  We coulda got paid to let Gus go...

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Heck no they hate Gus 2x now after playing them last time. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

What’s Arkansas’s ceiling as a program in the SEC? They’ve been competitive at times but what do Hog fans expect overall? 8-4? 9-3? Morris may not be the answer but its not like he took over with a lot to work with. JMHO but I feel like a coach taking over a down program or trying to change the personnel to fit his system needs 4 years. That seems fair to see where they’re at then. I just think it becomes a fascinating discussion when we look at a fanbase’s  expectations. Its probably a big reason for the angst among Auburn folks over Gus, difference in expectations.  Kentucky fans happy if they go 7-5 most years...at Auburn or LSU or bama that gets you fired. At Arkansas I don’t know. I don’t really know any Hog fans so its hard to tell. 

4 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

What’s Arkansas’s ceiling as a program in the SEC? They’ve been competitive at times but what do Hog fans expect overall? 8-4? 9-3? Morris may not be the answer but its not like he took over with a lot to work with. JMHO but I feel like a coach taking over a down program or trying to change the personnel to fit his system needs 4 years. That seems fair to see where they’re at then. I just think it becomes a fascinating discussion when we look at a fanbase’s  expectations. Its probably a big reason for the angst among Auburn folks over Gus, difference in expectations.  Kentucky fans happy if they go 7-5 most years...at Auburn or LSU or bama that gets you fired. At Arkansas I don’t know. I don’t really know any Hog fans so its hard to tell. 

Surprisingly , they expect to be able to win at least 8-9 games a year with a BCS bowl within those years. I am only speaking from my perspective of living in Fayetteville and Bentonville. They believe that since Petrino proved they can play at a high level, it can be done at Arkansas. They are sick of how bad they are and don’t expect to be bottom dwellers. Now I am not saying they expect to beat Bama every year, but they do expect to compete with the likes of LSU and Us. Remember at one time the series was tied between us until Gus got here. Again, this my perspective from living in hog land. You should go to hogville and just test the temperature there. They are insane over there. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Surprisingly , they expect to be able to win at least 8-9 games a year with a BCS bowl within those years. I am only speaking from my perspective of living in Fayetteville and Bentonville. They believe that since Petrino proved they can play at a high level, it can be done at Arkansas. They are sick of how bad they are and don’t expect to be bottom dwellers. Now I am not saying they expect to beat Bama every year, but they do expect to compete with the likes of LSU and Us. Remember at one time the series was tied between us until Gus got here. Again, this my perspective from living in hog land. You should go to hogville and just test the temperature there. They are insane over there. 

******This is not intended as a shot at Gus or to begin that discussion again but a legitimate question*****

Given what you said about Hogs fans expectations, would Gus not have been perfect for them? I can see Gus consistently fielding 8-4 teams there. I just really think our expectations as a fan base have been raised and we believe Auburn can take another step. 

1 minute ago, nixtosanders94 said:

******This is not intended as a shot at Gus or to begin that discussion again but a legitimate question*****

Given what you said about Hogs fans expectations, would Gus not have been perfect for them? I can see Gus consistently fielding 8-4 teams there. I just really think our expectations as a fan base have been raised and we believe Auburn can take another step. 

Hell no. Gus needs a team with talent and one with stability IMO. When he went to Arkansas State , they were already loaded with talent. He came back to Auburn l, which was the perfect scenario for him because he had top ten talent and players he already knew. I do not believe for a second Gus can build a program from the ground up. I just don’t and I don’t think Gus has confidence in himself in that regard either ( my opinion). I don’t think he would’ve left Auburn for Arkansas but he smartly used it as leverage. The people at Arkansas see Gus as very polarizing. The fan base has always been split about him and there would’ve been much more pressure on him at Arkansas than here believe it or not. 

This is gus ... RB carries are distributed by some bizarre, mystical formula that has nothing to do with effectivenes.  sometimes carries/effectiveness works out but that is purely coincidental.

fwiw, he’ll distribute fairly evenly amongst rb’s, qb’s and wr’s.  We’ll have big rushing stats but it won’t feel like we moved the offense forward.  

We really need to let nix throw the ball 40 times in a full scale hunh.  Our goal should be 85 plays from our full O arsenal so we get everyone some good work.  Arky will just need to deal with the 70 pts we NEED to hang on them.

I actually expect to see DJ Williams get the most carries, not Martin. Kam will probably start, but I think Gus feels like he needs a bigger back to make his offense work, and I think he'll be preparing Williams to take over the role of RB1 against LSU.

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Please don't remind me of the worst decision AU has made in my lifetime.  We coulda got paid to let Gus go...

Sorry to bring up the memory, I’m just looking for a way out.  BTW, nice sig pic.

10 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Orgeron is arguably the 2nd best HC in the conference. 

I seriously agree.

14 hours ago, CR said:

I agree. It's interesting how LSU showed us, just a week later, what a powerful offense can do to Florida. LSU, UGa and bama defenses can all be scored on but you better bring along an offense that can do the job.

Archived