Oregon and Tulane since AU

AU-24

9 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/sports/tulane/article_93988fa6-ee05-11e9-834f-07d1b08fd3df.amp.html

On verge of top 25 ranking, Tulane football team just worried about winning

This was supposed to be one of our easier wins.

Exactly see what I mean preseason ranking doesn’t mean much. I would even say that it’s SEC inflated for tv reasons. We are a big sale ticket for ESPN and the sec network. My usual aspect is to weigh it at the end of the year much better statistics to have.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

So basically folks we should just mail it in every year because our schedule is too tough. We can’t compete right now with the best so we have to wait it out until bama sucks again...

And since there are no GUARANTEES that someone would be better than Gus( I mean, really, it wouldn’t take that much) then we should just love 8-4 and only beating our rivals every now and then. Because, you know, there are so many guarantees in life you should never step out and take a chance to better yourself...

Yes and no. It is a crazy schedule and it's easy to argue that no other coach could net a better win record here. There's a whole generation's worth of safety in going 10-2, 9-3, year over year at Auburn right now. The whole idea though, is to build a basic offense and not look stupid as hell. 

K look at me try and make my point clear. Yes we play in the toughest conference and division in the country and normally have a tough schedule. That said if we really feel AU is not up to the the schedule then let’s move over to say Conference USA where we can play easier teams. If not and you want to stay in this tough divisions then step up and hire a coach that doesn’t look for a reason to justify just losses each year. 

ps the old saying- if you can’t run with the big dogs just stay on the porch

2 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Yes and no. It is a crazy schedule and it's easy to argue that no other coach could net a better win record here. There's a whole generation's worth of safety in going 10-2, 9-3, year over year at Auburn right now. The whole idea though, is to build a basic offense and not look stupid as hell. 

Agreed and obviously a lot of my post was sarcasm and hyperbole but it sometimes feels like there are some on here who enjoy 8-4.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

K look at me try and make my point clear. Yes we play in the toughest conference and division in the country and normally have a tough schedule. That said if we really feel AU is not up to the the schedule then let’s move over to say Conference USA where we can play easier teams. If not and you want to stay in this tough divisions then step up and hire a coach that doesn’t look for a reason to justify just losses each year. 

Yeah nobody said that. Don't have to have an extreme view. It's totally okay to understand this team, with its make up may not be better than two or three the teams in the conference and that is okay to say. 

3 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Auburn runs with the big dogs every year.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

step up and hire a coach that doesn’t look for a reason to justify just losses each year. 

Got some names to go with that big talk? I can provide a list of AUF message board favorites that haven't done as well as Gus at their next jobs. Starting with Petrino and moving forward, I can think of five or six that the disgruntled posters wanted. The latest can't miss favorite was Jeff Brohm, who has his team roaring along at 2-4 right now. So who ya' got?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Got some names to go with that big talk? I can provide a list of AUF message board favorites that haven't done as well as Gus at their next jobs. Starting with Petrino and moving forward, I can think of five or six that the disgruntled posters wanted. The latest can't miss favorite was Jeff Brohm, who has his team roaring along at 2-4 right now. So who ya' got?

Brother, We just want to be a great freaking football program ok?  What is wrong with that? AND TO SUSTAIN that greatness. Auburn is such a great program that we have had every coach since Dye either have a undefeated record, win a title of some sorts or both. And all those coaches were average at best. I mean 4-5 losses almost every year is not really appetizing to me. So yah we are always on the look out for someone who could MAYBE JUST MAYBE be that transcendent program defining coach that has been so elusive to us.  We have not been lucky or fortunate to get blessed by one. I know I always have a wandering eye. I rather us keep trying to find that coach to get us permanently over the hump than to be stuck in football purgatory. Might I remind you Brohm is at freaking Purdue? When he steps on the field almost every week they 9 times out of 10 are at a talent deficit. So be as forgiving on him as you are the current regime at Auburn.

BUT If freaking baby brother Clemson of all schools can find one of those special coaches I KNOW AND AM SO CONFIDENT we finally can!! I just hope I am not a old man when it finally happens! haha. We just have to be luckier than we have been. We are to great of a program for us not to eventually get one. SO we are 13th in total wins ever for power 5 teams. ALL the other schools ahead of us have had at least 1 of those special program defining transcendent coaches. Think about that. We are 13th all time in wins somehow someway. We have been playing with 1 hand tied behind our back unlike those other schools.

P.S. Just a hunch but I think he could find a way to win 8 games at Auburn most years which is what we are getting.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Brother, We just want to be a great freaking football program ok?  What is wrong with that? AND TO SUSTAIN that greatness. Auburn is such a great program that we have had every coach since Dye either have a undefeated record, win a title of some sorts or both. And all those coaches were average at best. I mean 4-5 losses almost every year is not really appetizing to me. So yah we are always on the look out for someone who could MAYBE JUST MAYBE be that transcendent program defining coach that has been so elusive to us.  We have not been lucky or fortunate to get blessed by one. I know I always have a wandering eye. I rather us keep trying to find that coach to get us permanently over the hump than to be stuck in football purgatory. Might I remind you Brohm is at freaking Purdue? When he steps on the field almost every week they 9 times out of 10 are at a talent deficit. So be as forgiving on him as you are the current regime at Auburn.

BUT If freaking baby brother Clemson of all schools can find one of those special coaches I KNOW AND AM SO CONFIDENT we finally can!! I just hope I am not a old man when it finally happens! haha. We just have to be luckier than we have been. We are to great of a program for us not to eventually get one. SO we are 13th in total wins ever for power 5 teams. ALL the other schools ahead of us have had at least 1 of those special program defining transcendent coaches. Think about that. We are 13th all time in wins somehow someway. We have been playing with 1 hand tied behind our back unlike those other schools.

P.S. Just a hunch but I think he could find a way to win 8 games at Auburn most years which is what we are getting.

Preach...

Its ridiculous to judge Brohm based on Purdue. Like you said, he’s out talented nearly every game. Give him Auburn’s talent amd recruiting and see what he does. But thats Mikey being Mikey. He’s one of those 8-4 lovers who believes AU can’t do any better. Its kinda like a person stuck in an abusive relationship...they don’t  think they can do any better.  Gus is abusing the hell outta Mikey.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Am I reading this correctly: Clemson is #9 in strength of schedule wins this year?  They haven’t beaten anyone this year with a winning record. 

20 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Am I reading this correctly: Clemson is #9 in strength of schedule wins this year?  They haven’t beaten anyone this year with a winning record. 

I don’t think its SOS so much as just how many wins their opponents have over FBS competition. So if I’m understanding it correctly Clemson’s opponents only have 9 FBS wins all year...which is horrible.

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think your reading it correctly but not interpreting it correctly. The teams they have played and beaten have a total of 11 wins against FBS teams. That makes them 9th along with the other teams listed with them. 

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not gonna get anywhere with that logic. ......we all know for sure that any of those guys would be racking up 10 wins per year with Auburn's talent, etc, etc. ...they just can't seem to be doing it anywhere else however. 

And so Brohm is 2-4 but that is with Purdue's talent?  ....and he could be much better at AU?   ....but he is also 2-4 with Purdue's schedule.....but we are gonna discount that I guess though he is 1-0 against the SEC this year..(Vandy) . .    

I will note however that P J Fleck has done well at Minnesota .....one of the few hotshots from a few years ago to do well though mostly flying under the radar.   Aside from Nick about 30 years ago, I can't recall any BIG10 area coach to come south and immediately do well.    And funny that Chip,  who could recruit California when he was at Oregon, can't manage to recruit California now that he is in Los Angeles but guess he does not have Phil Knight backing him up.  

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Eagle eye said that not me 

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

Eagle eye said that not me 

I thought I was responding to Eagle Eye. I didn't catch that you were mentioned as being quoted. Operator error on my part, apologies.

13 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Absolutely no disrespect intended here 24, but can we stop with the Tulane stuff? They play in the AAC. I will concede they are a good team if you could concede there is no world in which Auburn should be measured against Tulane...like, ever. I for one realize how we played against Tulane is fairly meaningless anyway considering in 2017 we struggled with Mercer but won the West.

It’s a fair statement. My obvious point is: if they hit the top 25, it’ll be another top 25 team we had to play and beat.

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Exactly see what I mean preseason ranking doesn’t mean much. I would even say that it’s SEC inflated for tv reasons. We are a big sale ticket for ESPN and the sec network. My usual aspect is to weigh it at the end of the year much better statistics to have.

If you look at where the majority of high school four and five star players sign, if you look at where the majority of the NFL draft picks come from, the SEC is certainly not overinflated.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Then why switch?

Nobody is satisfied with 8-4. I'd be less happy with 4-8 and getting 4-8 is more likely than getting 11-1 when you blindly go fishing. There's all this big talk about hiring  Coach Right, but nobody has names. With the one exception of Fleck, all the names from the past are doing worse than Malzahn. I'm not interested in going through 15 years of hiring and firing. See Texas, UTK, A&M, on and on. Those schools have as much or more resources than does AU, and yet they spent decades in the doldrums. Don't delude yourselves into thinking that can't happen here.

If/when a change is required, make one. Currently, a change at AU is a long way from required. In the meantime, I'll support whoever is Auburn's coach.

14 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Remember we our two biggest rivals at home this year. Not arguing your point just saying your point is an opinion that can’t be confirmed to till the end of the year . Good example mrs state was thought to be a top 25 team beginning of the season and how good really is TAM and OM and Arky ? Was Fla really that good or is LSU just that much better. Just saying.

MSU (3-3) is back to the bottom of the barrel and aTm (3-3) has beaten Texas State, Lamar and barely beat a piss poor Arkansas (2-4) team.  Neither of those teams will sniff the top 25 at the end of the season.  While OleMiss sits with Arky at (2-4).

UF is a good team, LSU is freaking rocking on offense and could easily be in ATL in November. 

51 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Then why switch?

Nobody is satisfied with 8-4. I'd be less happy with 4-8 and getting 4-8 is more likely than getting 11-1 when you blindly go fishing. There's all this big talk about hiring  Coach Right, but nobody has names. With the one exception of Fleck, all the names from the past are doing worse than Malzahn. I'm not interested in going through 15 years of hiring and firing. See Texas, UTK, A&M, on and on. Those schools have as much or more resources than does AU, and yet they spent decades in the doldrums. Don't delude yourselves into thinking that can't happen here.

If/when a change is required, make one. Currently, a change at AU is a long way from required. In the meantime, I'll support whoever is Auburn's coach.

THIS. IS. MY. LEAST. FAVORITE. TAKE. If a coach needs to be replaced you do not go wayuuuuuuuul there is no obvious candidate out there. LETS STICK WITH WHAT WE HAVE!!!! NOOOO!!!!! If a coach needs to be replaced then he should be replaced. I rather keep swinging and lifting the bat off the shoulder than just keep taking a called strike 3. You cannot have that mindset of keeping a  under achieving coach just for the sake of keeping him because you are scared about who the next hire is. That is not the kind of mentality that is going to get us anywhere. Also if history is any indication then one of said new coaches first couple of years will be one of those magical AU years where we win a title and come close to going undefeated. SO SWITCHING COACHES DOOOOEEEEES always inject a lot of life and good fortune in to the program.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

THIS. IS. MY. LEAST. FAVORITE. TAKE. If a coach needs to be replaced you do not go wayuuuuuuuul there is no obvious candidate out there. LETS STICK WITH WHAT WE HAVE!!!! NOOOO!!!!! If a coach needs to be replaced then he should be replaced. I rather keep swinging and lifting the bat off the shoulder than just keep taking a called strike 3. You cannot have that mindset of keeping a  under achieving coach just for the sake of keeping him because you are scared about who the next hire is. That is not the kind of mentality that is going to get us anywhere. Also if history is any indication then one of said new coaches first couple of years will be one of those magical AU years where we win a title and come close to going undefeated. SO SWITCHING COACHES DOOOOEEEEES always inject a lot of life and good fortune in to the program.

BOOM!  :wareagle:

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If a coach needs to be replaced you do not go wayuuuuuuuul there is no obvious candidate out there.

This made me laugh. 

But in reality no one would ever make a change in anything if they were concerned about failing. Familiar doesn't make it better or necessarily right, it just makes it comfortable which can be bad. You know the saying "if you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always gotten". Change is necessary to move forward. Comfortable is nice but in most things it...

trump-plan.gif

There is no doubt we have a tough schedule and that has to be factored in. Every coach has a bad game Kirby, Saban, Gus.  With Saban his teams have so much talent they can usually overcome a bad game.  I would have said the same thing for Kirby prior to South Carolina game. If we didn't have a freshman QB who made mistakes we probably win at Fla. despite how bad a game Gus called and it was bad on the skunk smell test with 10 being super smelly it was a 9 or 10.  That said prior to this game Gus has actually had a pretty solid Offensive performance and many myself included was hoping he had turned a corner. 

Now we find out if the Fla. game was an aberration or the previous 5 games was the aberration. Before everybody say Fla. has a weak D how good would our D be if we lost Brown and Davidson as that is basically what happened to Florida. If Florida doesn't lose those two players Burrows would still be good but he would not have been as good as he was and maybe Fla. would have won the game. 

So first we can't have a let down against Arky because we are looking forward to LSU then we see which Gus shows up.  If Gus calls a great game that allows us a legitimate chance to beat LSU then maybe he has turned the corner and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt even if we lose that game.  If he calls a a game similar to Fla and we get blown out then it is time to start planning to select a new coach and even if we win because of a great defensive effort we still need to think about replacing Gus.   

What I am looking for is the type of game he calls and ideally a great game and we upset LSU.   

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Got some names to go with that big talk?

Couple of things. That is the WEAKEST reply to any argument, i.e. "you think you can do better?"

I got a question for you. Would you have hired Tater Tot, Ears, 5-19, or the genius? I would not have hired a single one of those guys because they are all mediocre at best and had never shown anything above mediocre. Yet they all had at least one wildly successful season where? Auburn yeah.

I'd rather go 4-8 a few time as long as I know the admin is searching for excellence than go 8-4 and be satisfied with mediocrity.

Lets all start rowing the boat in the same direction.;D

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Lets all start rowing the boat in the same direction.;D

Love the “row the boat” reference.

Archived