Prayers please

bigbird

Little bit of an update...

James can't take morphine due to a hypersensitivity that increases the pain level when he takes it.

We have tried Gabapentin, Norco, Oxy, Oxy & Tylenol, tramadol, Lidocaine patches, and are now on a PCA with Dilaudid. None are working.  Had to give him lorazepam at 2 this morning so he could sleep. He's vomited twice this morning. I'm not sure if it's meds or the pain that is the cause. The pain team is supposed to be here around 11:30 or 12...maybe they meant Pacific.

We've had x-rays and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a lot of fluid in his calf but the swelling hasn't gotten any worse. That's a victory!

I've secured an Xbox and trying to distract him with some Madden. 

That's all I've got

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

James can't take morphine due to a hypersensitivity that increases the pain level when he takes it.

We have tried Gabapentin, Norco, Oxy, Oxy & Tylenol, tramadol, Lidocaine patches, and are now on a PCA with Dilaudid. None are working.  Had to give him lorazepam at 2 this morning so he could sleep. He's vomited twice this morning. I'm not sure if it's meds or the pain that is the cause. The pain team is supposed to be here around 11:30 or 12...maybe they meant Pacific.

We've had x-rays and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a lot of fluid in his calf but the swelling hasn't gotten any worse. That's a victory!

That's all I've got

Still praying Brother. Update appreciated. When he is able to sleep be sure to take care of yourselves. 

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's all I've got

Tell him to play against the Falcons defense. That might help.

Thinking about all Birds. 

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's all I've got

Still praying Bird!

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's all I've got

Those drugs can be rough on the stomach doubt he wants to eat much if at all. Hopefully he does has some type of appetite

37 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Those drugs can be rough on the stomach doubt he wants to eat much if at all. Hopefully he does has some type of appetite

He just ate an orange chicken bowl from Panda Express... he's always hungry.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:01 PM, bigbird said:

Some here know...some don't, but my son has a very rare and severe bleeding disorder. He has been in and out of the hospital his entire life and many of y'all have walked through each stay with us. My wife and I typically can take care of his issues at home. Unfortunately, we have been chasing a severe knee bleed the last 10+ days and the pain and continued swelling has once again led us to another hospital stay. He is beginning to show some beginning signs of compartment syndrome in his lower leg and his pain meds have now become ineffective to handle the level of pain he is having. James is unbelievably strong and resilient. That said, due to the pain and a sense of things not getting any better, he is emotionally drained and is starting to spiral into a depressed state. Please pray that the pain subsides quickly, the swelling doesn't lead to more complications, and for his continued strength and resilience.  

Thank y'all for always being here for times like these.

You’ve got it, Big Yellow One! 🙏🙏🙏

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:40 PM, bigbird said:

That's all I've got

We've been there with our daughter. At 48 she had neck surgery at Johns Hopkins for 2 severely collapsed discs. The surgery corrected that issue but left her with permanent and severe pain from her neck all the way down her left arm. They tried almost all the meds you listed and then decided to try Fentanyl. 

It worked. The only thing that gave her any relief was that Fentanyl patch. She started on 25mgs, they worked her up from there and she is still on it. Obviously she is an adult so I don't know if it is appropriate for a child but the Dr will know. I wanted you to know what worked for her. 

Its hurts me to see bad things happen to children....i hope today brings better news on the recovery front.....i take a mild painkiller,muscle relaxers, celbrex and gaberpentin for an auto-immune disorder....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....in full prayer mode today for James....I may be a crusty old fart, but i love kids and animals

Short update...

Exhaustion has set in. Thankfully he was able to sleep for 4 hours straight last night and he just fell asleep again about 10 minutes ago. Swelling is still present and significant but not any worse however the pain is just as bad, maybe worse. James has literally been climbing his bed with all the squirming and writhing he has done. It's just so unbearable to hear him crying out, "daddy it hurts so bad" or "daddy, please make it stop" and not being able to do a damn thing for him. I just hold him as he buries his head in my chest and cries, trying not to breakdown myself. 

Please continue to pray for his pain relief and our strength.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Short update...

Exhaustion has set in. Thankfully he was able to sleep for 4 hours straight last night and he just fell asleep again about 10 minutes ago. Swelling is still present and significant but not any worse however the pain is just as bad, maybe worse. James has literally been climbing his bed with all the squirming and writhing he has done. It's just so unbearable to hear him crying out, "daddy it hurts so bad" or "daddy, please make it stop" and not being able to do a damn thing for him. I just hold him as he buries his head in my chest and cries, trying not to breakdown myself. 

I'm so sorry Bird. Poor kid. 

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Short update...

Prayers sent, brother.

I’m literally crying as I read this. I just don’t know what to say but you are a hero right now, my friend. I can’t imagine... When God and these doctors get him relieved and back to normal you should treat yourself to something. Whatever it takes to relax and reset. 

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Short update...

Man reading that tore me up, I couldn’t fathom how you guys are feeling right now. Prayers to James and all of you guys, especially for strength during a time like this.

Docs just came in again...said they will send pediatric psychiatry in to talk with him and see if it's anything like that. I've got your psychosomatic right here.

1528886177655.gif

Gosh bird....I'm hurting for you, James and your family. I am so sorry.  When our children are suffering it is almost unbearable. 

Praying for healing, strength and rest for your sweet boy. 

Archived