Pass heavy against Arkansas?

SumterAubie

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, DAG said:

Accurate, but we don't do nearly enough of them to get him settled in. It is not built in our gameplay. The offense is pretty much let the run open up the pass, when you have the opportunity to pass, you better make sure it counts. It really shouldn't be that way. He needs a rhythm. 

I agree. I will say though that isn’t for the lack of trying. Nix just has been inconsistent in accuracy and drops plus his ball placement has made short passing abysmal. Hard to get him rhythm when we are struggling to connect on screens and quick outs.

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I agree. I will say though that isn’t for the lack of trying. Nix just has been inconsistent in accuracy and drops plus his ball placement has made short passing abysmal. Hard to get him rhythm when we are struggling to connect on screens and quick outs.

Very important point. The dropoff from Stidham to Bo on those screen passes is steeeeeep. We didn't talk about that enough while Stid was here. He placed those balls so perfectly, so that RD had already planted a foot and was starting to move north when he caught them. Automatic. But if the WR has to come back or leave his feet to make the catch, forget about it. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Very important point. The dropoff from Stidham to Bo on those screen passes is steeeeeep. We didn't talk about that enough while Stid was here. He placed those balls so perfectly, so that RD had already planted a foot and was starting to move north when he caught them. Automatic. But if the WR has to come back or leave his feet to make the catch, forget about it. 

That’s why I give Gus so much credit for this season, the simple passing plays hes made a staple for so long aren’t working this year, and he has tried new things. A lot of people were asking for screens in the Florida game, but with how many defenders were in the box and with how this guy plays, I’m not fully sure he wouldn’t have threw a few picks on screens in that game

It makes sense to throw more to open up the running lanes given we don't have Boobie. But also, to get LSU concerned about defending the entire field.

On 10/15/2019 at 12:11 AM, DAG said:

I still don't understand why we can't open up the the big play with short passes. Both Florida and LSU look great doing it. Also, Oregon has established this framework. Heck, even in the NFL, most teams are doing this. We don't always have to be boom or bust offense.

I honestly think football is evolving back to this. Call it the "West Coast" passing scheme, if you want. Defenses have adapted to the Power Spread's bubble screens and the Air Raid's "4 Verticals". The best RPOs are the ones that combine and inside zone run with a quick slant to a #2 WR as the pass. It does not have to be an RPO. Any inside run play action pulls the inside LB towards the line and creates an opening in the middle of the field for the quick slant. That play has been all over the NFL the last several years, and became popular in college a couple of years ago.

Bubble screens scare me because they seem to be ripe for a Pick 6. I think they have a place if combined with other short routes. Modern college defenses love to run hybrid coverage where the CBs play man against the #1 WRs if the #1 WRs go deep. If they go on a dig our out, the CBs revert to zone coverage. To me, this seems ideal for underneath routes such as the RB on a wheel route, or the #2 WR on an out under the #1 WR going deep.

Some of the Air Raid offenses are going back to these concepts.

3 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I honestly think football is evolving back to this. Call it the "West Coast" passing scheme, if you want. Defenses have adapted to the Power Spread's bubble screens and the Air Raid's "4 Verticals". The best RPOs are the ones that combine and inside zone run with a quick slant to a #2 WR as the pass. It does not have to be an RPO. Any inside run play action pulls the inside LB towards the line and creates an opening in the middle of the field for the quick slant. That play has been all over the NFL the last several years, and became popular in college a couple of years ago.

Bubble screens scare me because they seem to be ripe for a Pick 6. I think they have a place if combined with other short routes. Modern college defenses love to run hybrid coverage where the CBs play man against the #1 WRs if the #1 WRs go deep. If they go on a dig our out, the CBs revert to zone coverage. To me, this seems ideal for underneath routes such as the RB on a wheel route, or the #2 WR on an out under the #1 WR going deep.

Did someone say air raid?

Image result for AIR RAID GIF

18 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Not gonna see that with double fake, play action passes on deep routes. Not saying Bo is infallible,  but some of the passing concepts just aren't going to work with a high rate of success behind this OL. Especially against better DLs like Lsu, Uga and bammer. We have the talent at WR to do exactly what LSU and bammer are doing to teams offensively. The execution of that is another discussion, but instead we'll more than likely stick to establishing the run and take deep shots. Against a team we SHOULD have no problem in doing so. Only masking the inevitable come time to play big boy football. 

Just think if we only had the fastest WR in all of college football who could turn a quick release 5 yard slant into a huge gain, well, like the Florida WRs were doing. Yeah, that would be something.

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

I agree with you about the bubble screens. We should bring the receiver about 2-3 yards closer to the QB of which should pretty much eliminate throwing pics. We need to run quick slants more often with the receivers we have in the stable. We have a superb receiving crew that I think Gus has yet to find a steady way to use them more often in games. I think Gus gets gas when he has to pass the ball. Running the ball is great as long as it gets you 5-6 yards per carry.

I see us having around 230 yards on the ground, and around 220 in the air against the piggies.  I see a score of 49-21 our favor. Arky can move the ball and has done so at times this season. Never take this team for granted. I think we will win, but it could be close till after the half. I would love to see a 35-6 score at the half with another 14-21 in the 2nd half. We should win this game, but should not take the piggies for granted since we are playing in the land of the pig pen! 

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think DJ could turn out to be a better back than boobee imho!

21 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Depending on the early success- we’ll see some middle passes and short passes early. If we get a big lead quick, he’ll revert back to inside zone, jet, and p-a deep passes. He’ll practice those middle throws but npt enough to make LSU think theyre a real big portion of the gameplan. 

Don't forget the trick play Malzahn will call. And work perfectly. 

When Auburn is ahead by 5 touchdowns. 

35 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Fake fg against Arkansas up 49-3

29 minutes ago, DAG said:
1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Fake fg against Arkansas up 49-3

Oh.... I was thinking 15 yd quick slant inside the hash-marks...

Archived