Team has full confidence in Bo

WFE12

Tigers say they have full confidence in their young quarterback

• by Jason Caldwell

AUBURN, Alabama—It happens to the best of them. Sometime along the way even outstanding players have a bad game. 

In 2008 against the Boston Celtics in a playoff game, Lebron James went 2-18 from the field and had 10 turnovers. In 2003 Tom Brady went 14-28 for 123 yards and no touchdowns with four interceptions in a loss to Buffalo.

Even the greats have bad days and it’s how you respond that tells the story. That’s what the Auburn Tigers are waiting to see from true freshman quarterback Bo Nix following his three interception day in a loss at Florida.

While we’ll get the first look at that on Saturday when Auburn faces Arkansas on the road at Fayetteville, so far senior wide receiver Will Hastings noted that he has seen nothing that makes him believe that Nix isn’t ready for the challenge.

"He's just got confidence,” Hastings said. “You look at him, and the dude--he doesn't care. He knows he didn't have a good game, but he's like, 'You know what, forget it. Next game.' He's got confidence that we can run the table and beat everyone on the whole schedule so when you have a dude who's that confident--it's not even cocky, it's just straight confidence. 

“He comes about it in the nicest way and he just thinks that we can beat anyone and everyone so when you have a dude like that, you're going to follow him into war," Hastings added. "It's pretty cool being able to watch him being so young and be able to have that maturity and that confidence."

It’s also something that Coach Gus Malzahn said he has seen from his freshman quarterback since the loss at Florida. Coming back and getting to work during the off-week, Nix has put the game behind him. That’s something that is important said Malzahn, in both good and bad times.

“He did just about like our team did,” Malzahn said. “We woke up on Monday morning, that’s over with. We have just got to get better. No matter if it was the good things about leading us back against a good Oregon team to win the game or having a tough game, you put it behind you. He’s done that. He’s determined to lead our team. We had a really good week of practice last week. I expect us to continue to get better and I expect us to play good football. He’s in that same boat.”

Throwing seven touchdowns this season with five interceptions and completing 56 percent of his passes, Nix has had his good and bad so far in the first half of the 2019 football regular season. Something he has done well is create big plays, throwing 11 passes of 30 or more yards in the first six games. That's good enough to be tied for 23rd nationally. 

With more growing and improving to come, Nix is headed in the right direction, Malzahn predicts. 

“I think he’s got a chance to be really good,” the coach said. “He’s a competitor and he wants to be good. I think he’s a good leader.”

"It happens to the best of them. Sometime along the way even outstanding players have a bad game.

In 2008 against the Boston Celtics in a playoff game, Lebron James went 2-18 from the field and had 10 turnovers. In 2003 Tom Brady went 14-28 for 123 yards and no touchdowns with four interceptions in a loss to Buffalo."

Just a little repetition to make sure the "tar and feather crowd" can let this part sink in. This is true for every player in every sport that Auburn plays. 

I rewatched the game last night. I saw so many mistakes he made . Most that I didn’t think I would see from him based on what he’s done so far. Some forced errors, some unforced. I really needed to read this article. I’ll just leave it at that and say War Eagle Bo. You have your chance to play out of a hole and I’m glad you are up to it. 

I don’t want Bo to stand in the pocket and get lit up but I’ve seen way too much scrambling before it was needed.  That’ll come with time I suppose.  His percentage on those scramble throws is pretty low.

52 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I don’t want Bo to stand in the pocket and get lit up but I’ve seen way too much scrambling before it was needed.  That’ll come with time I suppose.  His percentage on those scramble throws is pretty low.

Yeah sometimes his internal clock is going faster than it should and he has more time than he realizes on some plays. If he stayed in the pocket and surveyed the field on that INT throw to Canella, he’d see that Malik was open out of the backfield on that play 

We’ve gotta get better at check Downs when nothing is open.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:42 PM, Sizzle said:

Yeah sometimes his internal clock is going faster than it should and he has more time than he realizes on some plays. If he stayed in the pocket and surveyed the field on that INT throw to Canella, he’d see that Malik was open out of the backfield on that play 

I'm certainly no authority on chunking a football, but he looked as if he was rushing his throws. Similar to a golfer who is too quick with his swing, all the moving parts are out of sync. Leading to the inaccurate passes.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

I'm certainly no authority on chunking a football, but he looked as if he was rushing his throws. Similar to a golfer who is too quick with his swing, all the moving parts are out of sync. Leading to the inaccurate passes.

Yeah his mind is moving faster than it should sometimes. He’s so focused on not taking a sack that sometimes he’s not even surveying the field like he should 

3 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

That’s about as accurate as it could be put. What worries me is he did a few things I would have never thought he would have done. I’m not saying I lost confidence but mine has been shaken. Good thing my thoughts have no effect on the team. 

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah his mind is moving faster than it should sometimes. He’s so focused on not taking a sack that sometimes he’s not even surveying the field like he should 

This. Most of his picks against Florida came from missing a Safety who was sitting in a zone tracking Bo’s eyes.

On to the next one.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

That’s about as accurate as it could be put. What worries me is he did a few things I would have never thought he would have done. I’m not saying I lost confidence but mine has been shaken. Good thing my thoughts have no effect on the team. 

In a positive sense, me being as hopeful as possible, this game seemed like a culmination of his worst traits he's displayed this season. You'd like to think, in what was his first real road game of the season (playing in Kyle Field is a joke), that it cant get that bad again. Im the worst possible person to assure you of that with DV being right around the corner, but hes what we got, so we must hope

21 hours ago, alexava said:

As I have mentioned previously the Swamp experience IMO got to Bo which is certainly understandable. Let's see what happens in the Arky game before making snap decisions about his abilities. I think the experiences he went through at FL will go a long way to his understanding what the SEC is like. The FL game game was a great warm up  to what he will see at LSU. Let's hope he learned from that experience. Personally I am all for Bo I think he will do Auburn proud. Time will tell.

WDE!!!

The best thing to help a young quarterback is a solid run game. If we can fix that (gonna be tough without Boobie) then I think we will be just fine. I fully expect us to pound it on the ground this weekend, and I fully expect Bo to have a solid state line. 

2 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

As I have mentioned previously the Swamp experience IMO got to Bo which is certainly understandable. Let's see what happens in the Arky game before making snap decisions about his abilities.

Agreed.

Matter of fact, that's the 2nd most intriguing aspect to me of the upcoming game (behind who's gonna be RB1) is how Bo's going to respond.

I look at it like a PGA Tour Pro hitting their tee-shot into the sand.  Are they going to compound it by hitting a poor approach?  ...or are they going to stiff it to 3 feet?

Looking forward to finding out!

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Agreed.

Matter of fact, that's the 2nd most intriguing aspect to me of the upcoming game (behind who's gonna be RB1) is how Bo's going to respond.

I look at it like a PGA Tour Pro hitting their tee-shot into the sand.  Are they going to compound it by hitting a poor approach?  ...or are they going to stiff it to 3 feet?

Looking forward to finding out!

Depends... the lie you drew, the lip of the bunker....but I got the point. 

On 10/16/2019 at 10:42 PM, Zeek said:

This. Most of his picks against Florida came from missing a Safety who was sitting in a zone tracking Bo’s eyes.

On to the next one.

I noticed this as well.

I think it was his first pick trying to throw to Sal. Bo never took his eyes off of him and the safety jumped the route the moment Bo's throwing motion started.

He also continues to not set his feet on throws. I think he fixes those (which are both easily fixable with experience) and he is going to be lights out.

We all knew he would have a bad game here and there. He's a freshman, it should be expected.

I had a feeling he would have a game where he "figured it out", and then go into the next game too confident. I was just hoping the game he figured it out would be UF not the one before UF...

3 hours ago, nutspanther said:

I noticed this as well.

I think it was his first pick trying to throw to Sal. Bo never took his eyes off of him and the safety jumped the route the moment Bo's throwing motion started.

He also continues to not set his feet on throws. I think he fixes those (which are both easily fixable with experience) and he is going to be lights out.

We all knew he would have a bad game here and there. He's a freshman, it should be expected.

I had a feeling he would have a game where he "figured it out", and then go into the next game too confident. I was just hoping the game he figured it out would be UF not the one before UF...

The first int dont bother me that much. If you watched him in high school that’s how he did it. Would squeeze balls in tight windows ( whether he saw the safety I didn’t know) but I predicted he would find his boundaries. It’s the last two that really hurts. The second would not have been possible if he didn’t miss two td opportunities before the play. Still he puts it in a defensive players gut when we are in fg range. 

I think he is coachable, which is why he is the guy. I just hope he’s settling down in the pocket. There’s a fine line between being aggressive and scared. I prefer aggressive overall but know when to pick your spots. And the main thing is hit your plays when they’re open and you have less opportunity to have to force it the next play. He’s a freshman and he’s human. Playing the hardest position in probably any sport. I understand that and support him. The best thing for the team is to get better on 3 rd and short. That’s on Bo too but mostly Gus and the line. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

The first int dont bother me that much. If you watched him in high school that’s how he did it. Would squeeze balls in tight windows ( whether he saw the safety I didn’t know) but I predicted he would find his boundaries. It’s the last two that really hurts. The second would not have been possible if he didn’t miss two td opportunities before the play. Still he puts it in a defensive players gut when we are in fg range. 

I think he is coachable, which is why he is the guy. I just hope he’s settling down in the pocket. There’s a fine line between being aggressive and scared. I prefer aggressive overall but know when to pick your spots. And the main thing is hit your plays when they’re open and you have less opportunity to have to force it the next play. He’s a freshman and he’s human. Playing the hardest position in probably any sport. I understand that and support him. The best thing for the team is to get better on 3 rd and short. That’s on Bo too but mostly Gus and the line. 

"Would squeeze balls in tight windows ( whether he saw the safety I didn’t know) "  Bo got away with this so often in High School I thought he wasn't human but as we all found out he is.  I still think he will settle down and improve as time goes by, at least I hope that is the case.

WDE!!!

Archived