running back depth to be tested

aubiefifty

Auburn’s running back depth to be tested in 2nd half of season

Today 1:00 PM

5-6 minutes

Auburn Football

AP

Cadillac Williams understands better than most the importance of having more than one capable running back in the SEC.

He was part of a talented stable of backs during his time as an Auburn player, splitting carries with the likes of Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Casinious Moore and Tre Smith during his career. That experience informed Williams’ approach to coaching, when he returned to his alma mater this spring as running backs coach with the goal of developing a deeper committee of backfield options this season.

As No. 11 Auburn embarks on the second half of its schedule, that running back depth will be tested following a knee injury to leading rusher Boobee Whitlow, who will miss four to six weeks after undergoing a procedure during the bye week.

“They're all ready to get going,” wide receiver Will Hastings said. “They have that fire in their gut to say, 'I'm the next man up,' and make the plays to do what they need to do to win the game. So, it's exciting watching them all fight for that job, because it's kind of like fall camp again and everybody is going 110 percent." So, all of them are prepared and ready to go.”

Whitlow’s injury was a tough blow for Auburn. He leads the team with 544 yards and is tops in the SEC with seven rushing touchdowns on the year. His production will be difficult to replace as the Tigers’ every-down back, but Gus Malzahn seems confident in the options that Auburn still has available in the backfield.

The fortunate thing for Auburn, at least, is the timing of Whitlow’s injury. Since the team found out about it early on during the bye week, it gave the team some extra time to figure out how to fill that void and prepare the remaining running backs for larger roles as the team turns the page to Saturday’s trip to Arkansas and the remainder of the 2019 schedule.

Auburn held three practices during the off week — Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday — before reconvening Sunday evening. During those four sessions, Malzahn and Williams rotated the running backs evenly with the first- and second-team offenses “for the most part.” That meant relatively equal reps for the likes of Kam Martin, Shaun Shivers, D.J. Williams, Harold Joiner and Malik Miller.

“Really trying to get some continuity,” Malzahn said. “… You can never have enough depth at running back. That was good information.”

That rotation will continue into Tuesday, when Malzahn expects to formulate a clearer picture of how the backfield gameplan will shake out ahead of Saturday’s game against the Razorbacks.

As it stands, Martin will likely draw the start at running back against Arkansas as the team’s most experienced backfield option. The 5-foot-10, 189-pounder is the team’s third-leading rusher this season, with 34 carries for 174 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and he’s the only healthy running back on the roster who has handled a larger share of carries at the college level — meaning the coaching staff also has the most information available on him.

Shivers will also have a chance to show what he can do, while Joiner — who had a “really good week” of practice — could get some reps against the Razorbacks and Miller will continue to see situational work, primarily on third downs.

The wildcard, so to speak, will be D.J. Williams. The impressive freshman is finally healthy and “responded well” during the off week in practices. He is expected to get an early opportunity against Arkansas, and if he performs well, his role will expand throughout the game and moving forward with the rest of the season.

“He's special, for sure,” Hastings said. “The way he runs and the way he can read stuff out, he's a special kid. And he's just a freshman. He's a guy that's had a couple of nicks and bruises, but the dude, he's going to be real good. I'm excited for him."

D.J. Williams has appeared in three games this season after dealing with a hip injury early in the year, but he has recorded carries in just one, rushing for 32 yards on seven touches against Mississippi State in Week 5. At 5-foot-10 and 215 pounds, however, he is built most similarly to Whitlow and has impressed since arriving on campus in the spring.

“He has got natural instincts,” Malzahn said. “Very rarely do you have to tell him to slow down or do this or that. He has got natural instincts when he has the ball in his hands.”

Just what he can do with a more prominent role remains to be seen, but Auburn will find out soon as its backfield depth is put to the test coming off the bye week.

“I think he is ready for the moment,” Malzahn said. “He will be more involved this second half of the season, for sure.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

10 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

lets see what DJ can do!  i saw noah cain playing for penn st saturday night

Yes...I saw Cain as well and he looked impressive. I still think we came out on top with DJ. I am excited to see him get reps.

Kmart, Malik, and Shivers have plenty of experience in this offense and either of the 3 could be a serviceable back in the right situation.  DJ and Harold bring potential but lack experience.  I’m not sure you’d want your backfield comprised of two true freshmen even if they are AUmazing players.  It’s not so much a lack of depth as in previous years.  This will almost Force his hand to do a committee approach to run the offense he wants to run.  Don’t sleep on Malik.

Archived