Thoughts On J’Von?

Dual-Threat Rigby

I feel like this’ll be a fun series, channeling our hesitancy to say how good this team could be, by giving expectations, contributor by contributor. I’m starting it off with our PG, who is for all intents and purposes, the guy who must be a factor for Pearl’s system to look good. I think the last few years, with the equal opportunity between the 5*/fringe 5*s in 2016, the 1-2-3 positions in 2017 and to a high degree during the tournament last year, the most important guy could switch matchup to matchup. 

HOWEVER, with this slower pace, and implementation of more half court sets, our PG is going to have to make more decisions than ever before IMO. Harper had a lot of control and was a pretty good playmaker, but I don’t think he had to make as many decisions due to the freelance nature of many of our possessions. And that’s where I begin this thread 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to add, I don’t think we’ll see a high APG from the PG spot with how many secondary creators we COULD have in 2019. Purifoy and Okoro are supposed to be able to get to their spots (relative to their expectations), Wiley showed he mentally knows how to be a beast in the post, just needs to finish a bit better. I’m lost on what the 2 guard stable can really do at this time 

I think we will need to get the ball inside more which could lead to more assists for the PG in our half court sets.  Since I don't think we will push up court as much as in the past I expect to have fewer assists  on the break.  J'Von showed speed was one of his best assets in the playoffs if we slow it down that may actually hurt him. Time will tell.

Worst case: we get Jvon from the LSU game all year

Best case: we get New Mexico State and NC State Jvon all next year

Realistic: somewhere in between but more towards the effective Jvon as he's a year older and has a full season's worth of games behind him. 

We definitely can't afford a turned ankle or anything like that from him or we are going to be in a world of hurt having to put a freshman PG who most likely is not ready to run the team for more than 10-12 minutes a game. 

46 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Why wouldn't we push up the court as much?

The simple answer is that we have a bigger slower team with more Freshmen that are being worked in. And we don't have Harper any longer to push (though Jvon showed in the tourney he was fine pushing the pace as well)

My biggest concern with Jvon is that i think the 100 miles an hour pace we had last season fit his skill set really well. Run by the defense before they can get set. I'm afraid the slower pace is going to allow defenses to get set and then it'll be a challenge to run the offense with a smaller point guard. My hope is that our 2-4 guards are good enough with the handle that we won't have to rely solely on Jvon getting the offense set up.

He seems to have a pretty tight handle and I assume we'll be having alot of the bigger guys float under the rim so he can dump it off.

This link, https://www.powerofdixieland.com/2019/10/12/aubasketballbible/, has some clips and good thoughts on each player, and one of the clips shows J'Von doing just what I envision. Kinda Derrick Rose esque 

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He seems to have a pretty tight handle and I assume we'll be having alot of the bigger guys float under the rim so he can dump it off.

This link, https://www.powerofdixieland.com/2019/10/12/aubasketballbible/, has some clips and good thoughts on each player, and one of the clips shows J'Von doing just what I envision. Kinda Derrick Rose esque 

Thanks for sharing the link. Good read on each player.

There's going to be alot of oick and fades with McLemore and PnRs where J'Von will reject the screen, burn his matchup going to the rim, and pass it back to Wiley or Purifoy (when we go small) on the delayed roll. I think his speed is going to be like Jared's deep deep threes; the portion of our offense that'll remain a mismatch in everyone's gameplan 

I knew we had talent returning and new players with talent but until I watched this I did not realize how athletic we are going to be.  I realize Bruce says we will play slower this year but I have a feeling as season progresses and this team gels we will see more breaks.  I think the difference is last year we would break and Harper and Brown would pull up for a three. This year I think more of the breaks will end up at the rim. I am excited for this season and can't wait till it starts.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I knew we had talent returning and new players with talent but until I watched this I did not realize how athletic we are going to be.  I realize Bruce says we will play slower this year but I have a feeling as season progresses and this team gels we will see more breaks.  I think the difference is last year we would break and Harper and Brown would pull up for a three. This year I think more of the breaks will end up at the rim. I am excited for this season and can't wait till it starts.

I can see us playing slower for a few reasons.

1. If Wiley plays a lot without getting injured, just getting our offense up and down the floor will have to slow down some with this big man.

2. We don't have the gazelle Spencer playing center. When he was in there we could move faster on offense. Anferee is pretty quick down the floor, but nothing like Spencer.

3. With inexperienced guards as either a starter or backups, we will slow the ball some in order to play the inside-outside type of game Pearl is expecting from his team. Now as they get more experience and understand the plays and their teammates, then maybe it will pick up.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I can see us playing slower for a few reasons.

1. If Wiley plays a lot without getting injured, just getting our offense up and down the floor will have to slow down some with this big man.

2. We don't have the gazelle Spencer playing center. When he was in there we could move faster on offense. Anferee is pretty quick down the floor, but nothing like Spencer.

3. With inexperienced guards as either a starter or backups, we will slow the ball some in order to play the inside-outside type of game Pearl is expecting from his team. Now as they get more experience and understand the plays and their teammates, then maybe it will pick up.

Inexperienced guard play at beginning of the year and you are correct that is why I said as year goes on and team gels I expect it to pick up.  Wiley healthy is faster then most think I watched him some when he played with National team Fast breaks usually only involve 2 or 3 players a guard or 2 and one of the forwards or the center.  I do agree Spencer worked hard to get back both on D and O he will be harder to replace than most people think. He did the dirty work. Spencer is the kind of player who makes a team better even though his stats don't reflect it.

Just remember we lost our 3 leading scorers and a lot of experience....as much as I want to see our team do well, we must be realistic about this season....not saying  we can't accomplish a lot of 'highs', but there is going to be some growing pain....

I’m gonna stay cautiously optimistic about this team until we get a few games in. After last year it might be a little disappointing, but last year was over the moon fun. If CBP can make this young team competitive in the SEC this year then wow, just wow. Here’s hoping, War Eagle 🦅 

Jvon has alot to show. I'm thinking many of you are going to learn this season that different people play different ways in different roles. It's a big difference being the man that's focused on and scouted against

With a slower offense it seems we might need some good/better 3 point shooting.  So where does that come from?     Not sure who our scorers will be this year. 

It’ll be score by committee.  I think our highest possible level will be based on what purifoy does, on both ends of the court.  This assumes serviceable PG play.  I’m thinking our PG play will be kind of like harpers frosh year.  Young talented freshman and solid upper class man.

16 hours ago, cole256 said:

Jvon has alot to show. I'm thinking many of you are going to learn this season that different people play different ways in different roles. It's a big difference being the man that's focused on and scouted against

No doubt about it. But I think we have other players that can help bring the ball up court to take some of the load off of him. It is to much to expect him to totally replace Harper.  That said if we do slow it down some and feed Wiley and others down low it could be a different type game this year.  I think as year goes on Turbo will be a help also but again not like Harper. Pearl has to adjust the team around the strength's of the different players and I think he is capable of doing that.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, AUGoo said:

Why wouldn't we push up the court as much?

Completely different team. We don't have the pure scorers we had last season. Our best attributes this season will be our defense, rebounding, & length.

• ellitor changed the title to Thoughts On J’Von?
12 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Does defense not imply pushing the ball?

Pushing usually refers to getting the ball up the court and scoring fast on O. I recall a few times last season the announcers would count it out because we'd try and score so quick. 

Maybe you are thinking of pressuring the ball? It is a good question of how the new team will impact whether or not we try our full court defense much. I'd think yes since we have a long deep team. But they always say that D is the hardest thing to teach young guys. Luckily Okoro came in known for playing great defense and he is the freshmen i expect to see the most of early. 

23 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Does defense not imply pushing the ball?

If it's done by getting a lot of steals & having Pearl's typical 3 point shooting teams then yes. We won't have Pearl's typical 3 point shooting teams & the good defense could mean more low shooting %s than steals this season.

Archived