Coaching Candidates

AUght2win

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Another that will be good someday soon and one that AU would look at is Eli Drinkwitz. I don't think he is ready for AU or the SECw yet though.

Too much malzahn stank on him!!!!!! Lol ew ew ew ew!!!! Stay away!!! Run for your life!!!! Hahaha. Forever un clean bird!!!? Forever un clean!!! Haha.

source-1.gif

downloadfile-3.gif

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DAG said:

Okay You can mark out Coach Chryst. He loves wisconsin. This is his dream. He is not leaving Wisconsin to deal with the SEC headache and Auburn. Lol

Yeah didn't realize that was his alma mater.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Too much malzahn stank on him!!!!!! Lol ew ew ew ew!!!! Stay away!!! Run for your life!!!! Hahaha. Forever un clean bird!!!? Forever un clean!!! Haha.

source-1.gif

downloadfile-3.gif

Notice he's not on my list...

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Notice he's not on my list...

wewe.gif

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

I wouldn't call any of those. We'll, maybe Bob but definitely not the other 2

What do you see as the drawbacks on Rhule and Fleck?

15 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

But they are man or will be if we go looking for a new coach with Saban still around. Know I've mentioned it before but I've a good friend that is an ex player and pretty tied into some major programs staff's. Other coaches, coordinators, position coaches look at our schedule, whats demanded on that schedule, who the rivals are, and see Gus on the seat every year. They got families and want security, and while coaching always has some instability, we are not super attractive in that regards at the moment.

Kirby have an off season combined with Saban leaving would do wonders for us if we had to/wanted to go searching. Especially with Jimbo not living up to the hype at the moment.

I would love nothing more than to have been wrong about Jimbo and for him to be a massive bust. Let that giant keep sleeping forever.

Seems that most big jobs come with big competition and big expectations. There's always risk in being at the top (unless you're the good team in the AFC East...). That's what the big money is for. And "failed" coaches always land on their feet tens of millions of dollars later. I don't doubt your friend, and I can imagine that a few candidates might be leery of a perceived stacked deck against Auburn. But this is also a business with a lot of big egos and there won't be a shortage of guys willing to take a shot at the champ. For the right price, of course.

Also, the whole country is looking at a dude not 15 years removed from high school ball who is a few choices on offense away from fielding a perennial playoff contender. Every goofball that puts on a visor here wins big at least once or twice. The schedule is tough but it's not what's been holding us back. And legends get made here *because* of the schedule.

It's not a job for everyone but we're plenty capable of landing a boss. IMO.

13 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Doesn't he have a NC ring? And take a team to the NC. Hasn't he beat lil nicky twice? I may be mistaken but didn't his team beat a number 1 in 2017, then beat a different number 1 two weeks later.

You forgot a few seasons worth of facts sprinkled in here and there. We can all cherry pick the good and the bad. I don't believe the OP wanted that at all. Seriously just a thread to get a hypothetical short list. All AD's always have a shortlist, and that came straight from the mouth of a D1 AD. We might as well have one too. 

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Bill Clark...gotta get him before Bama or Tenn do.

I hope that's sarcasm. I like the guy, but hire him before Tennessee? Alabama is going all in for Dabo or one of Saban's assistants whenever he retires from the Empire. If anything we should learn from the case study that is Tennessee trying to hire a coach. 

3 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I hope that's sarcasm. I like the guy, but hire him before Tennessee? Alabama is going all in for Dabo or one of Saban's assistants whenever he retires from the Empire. If anything we should learn from the case study that is Tennessee trying to hire a coach. 

What’s your list 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

What’s your list 

Freeze on a tight leash and Kiffin would be my top two. Both can recruit and score points is bunches. If going the defensive route, Venables, but he's the next Clemson coach when Dabo leaves. The dude at Baylor would probably also be on my list. 

I do like Clark, but I just don't know how he would do in the SEC West landscape as it is today. As I said a few pages ago, that goes for most coaches. I'd just prefer some P5 experience (that isn't the Big 10). 

Of the original list the only 2 that I would touch would be Fleck and Clark. I can tell you from a personal perspective that Bill Clark WOULD WIN. After being coached by and a carbon copy of his program under Grass, I can tell you that it'd be shell shock and rigorous making the switch to coach Clark. OTAs every AM of spring consisting of Mat Drills + Weight Lifting + Conditioning + Team Activities and in the summer..... Oh God. 

But it would breed a culture of guys who truly want to be there. Part of what shaped my physicality and body were his drills. One day we spent literally the whole morning we were supposed to be lifting and doing OTAs doing Up-Downs and Gassers because 3 people couldn't stay behind the line before the whistle was blown during stretch. That kind of old-school coaching paired with new school strategy can't be duplicated but by a few coaches.

49 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would love nothing more than to have been wrong about Jimbo and for him to be a massive bust. Let that giant keep sleeping forever.

Seems that most big jobs come with big competition and big expectations. There's always risk in being at the top (unless you're the good team in the AFC East...). That's what the big money is for. And "failed" coaches always land on their feet tens of millions of dollars later. I don't doubt your friend, and I can imagine that a few candidates might be leery of a perceived stacked deck against Auburn. But this is also a business with a lot of big egos and there won't be a shortage of guys willing to take a shot at the champ. For the right price, of course.

Also, the whole country is looking at a dude not 15 years removed from high school ball who is a few choices on offense away from fielding a perennial playoff contender. Every goofball that puts on a visor here wins big at least once or twice. The schedule is tough but it's not what's been holding us back. And legends get made here *because* of the schedule.

It's not a job for everyone but we're plenty capable of landing a boss. IMO.

Thank you! So tired of the mentality that we can’t land a decent coach. KANSAS WAS ABLE TO LAND LES MILES. Let that sink in.

25 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Freeze on a tight leash and Kiffin would be my top two.

I don't see what Kiffin has to offer. In his two and 1/2 seasons at FIU he's 20-12. Over that same period of time at Auburn Malzahn is 23-10.

Kiffin's all-tme win percentage 7+ seasons is .625. Over that same time period Malzahn's win percentage is .684. We'd be better off keeping what we have.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Thank you! So tired of the mentality that we can’t land a decent coach. KANSAS WAS ABLE TO LAND LES MILES. Let that sink in.

Les Miles was fired for not winning enough games at LSU. Is that your idea of a decent coach?

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't see what Kiffin has to offer. In his two and 1/2 seasons at FIU he's 20-12. Over that same period of time at Auburn Malzahn is 23-10.

Kiffin's all-tme win percentage 7+ seasons is .625. Over that same time period Malzahn's win percentage is .684. We'd be better off keeping what we have.

3F6C83EE-A874-4271-9CCE-ED3C55B695F3.jpeg

Just now, bigbird said:

If you can't see the difference 

I see the difference. People are wanting to hire a guy who has been, for seven plus years, less successful than the coach we have now. The "I hate Gus" crew should at least bring ideas that make some small amount of sense. Kiffin? Just as well hire another former failure at Tennessee. Butch Jones is available and will take the Auburn job. Lets get Jones!

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Les Miles was fired for not winning enough games at LSU. Is that your idea of a decent coach?

Which maybe shows higher expectations at LSU than AU. Miles won 77% of his games, 69% of his conference games, one NC and played for another at LSU(almost all with Saban at UA). A lesser record got our coach a $49 million dollar contract and gained him a legion of apologists that want to say “Who can we get that’s better?”.

I don’t want Les as our coach and this isn’t relevant to the topic in the thread but just wanted to point this out

20 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

D8EB5D24-3093-41C3-9DF0-520D1B9B08BB.jpeg

The second one in a row was just funny, I don't care what your viewpoint is. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I see the difference. People are wanting to hire a guy who has been, for seven plus years, less successful than the coach we have now. The "I hate Gus" crew should at least bring ideas that make some small amount of sense. Kiffin? Just as well hire another former failure at Tennessee. Butch Jones is available and will take the Auburn job. Lets get Jones!

8EB3CAA4-49F0-4B7C-AC9F-7BB347907EAE.jpeg

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Not sarcasm.  I want him at AU, badly. I think there’s a possibility he ends up at bama down the road.  I don’t think Dabo ends up at bama when Saban  retires. I think UT is stupid if they don’t hire him when their latest experiment fails.  I think it’d be fine if a lesser SEC program hired him for a few years until we cut ties with Gus.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Not sarcasm.  I want him at AU, badly. I think there’s a possibility he ends up at bama down the road.  I don’t think Dabo ends up at bama when Saban  retires. I think UT is stupid if they don’t hire him when their latest experiment fails.  I think it’d be fine if a lesser SEC program hired him for a few years until we cut ties with Gus.

I respect that opinion. If he were to end up at another P5 program for a couple of years and continues his upward trend, I'll be all for it. 

Where we get into some interesting waters is that if Gus is still here in a few years, we are most likely winning 10 games a year and beating rivals. 

The life of an Auburn grad is one heck of a roller coaster...

Archived