Stretch Akingbola

dyehardfanAU

12 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

This is a fan account. No clue if this guy has any real sources. We still need to wait on confirmation from AU reporters or a real insider like Hooks.

• ellitor changed the title to Stretch May be back in the USA
10 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I hope Pat Forde thoroughly investigates whether or not Bruce threw a barbecue for the customs agents that handled Stretch's papers...

That was actually funny. Nice!

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hooks just posted a smiley when asked about Stretch being in the states FWIW.

So you gonna edit my thread title back?  😉

53 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

So you gonna edit my thread title back?  😉

Well it’s confirmed, yes.

Actually the next update will probably say “Stretch is on campus”.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well it’s confirmed, yes.

Actually the next update will probably say “Stretch is on campus”.

That might be a...stretch. 😁

Excellent news if he can get enrolled. We'll be losing a lot of size after this next season with both Mac and Wiley moving onwards

• ellitor changed the title to Stretch is on campus (Updated)

Akingbola reports to Auburn

Qw3gw8a82capc7swgqoo

AUBURN | Babatunde “Stretch” Akingbola’s long-awaited arrival in Auburn is over.

Akingbola, a four-star center in Bruce Pearl’s 2019 recruiting class, has officially reported to campus, according to a source within the athletics department.

Akingbola is the seventh and final signee in the 2019 class to report to Auburn. All seven either have begun classes at Auburn or will begin classes on Monday.

Akingbola, who played high school ball at McEachern in Powder Springs, Ga., had been in his home country of Nigeria for the better part of a year as he worked to resolve matters with his visa.

Akingbola is part of the Tigers’ 13th-ranked class that included his teammate at McEachern, five-star wing Isaac Okoro, four-star guard Tyrell Jones, four-star forward Jaylin Williams, three-star guard Allen Flanigan, three-star forward Devan Cambridge and junior college forward Javon Franklin.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Horace 2.0

Horace was awesome for team chemistry & a great role player. I think Stretch can be better in terms of individual skills & I think he has the frame to be quite a bit thicker than HS.

A4E will definitely approve a 6'8" player. 

A year to resolve a problem with his visa? I'd be switching to MasterCard if I was him. :-\

• 2 weeks later...

Now that he is on Campus and enrolled I am assuming he is practicing with the team without the coaches. Has anybody seen him play in the pickup games, is he in shape. For that matter for a while we would get some people who would watch some of the team practice on their own and comment on it. I haven't heard anything in a while. Does anybody have any information on how the individual players are looking?

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

He looks like a beast out there, much bigger than what I was expecting from a strength, weight perspective.  

Apparently is a terror on the defensive end also.

9 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Will he see time at the 4?  Or just 5?

The 5 barring foul trouble with the 4s. He doesn’t have an offensive game right now which is not conducive to playing the 4.

• 3 weeks later...

Say that three times real fast! I paid more attention to him last night than anyone because he just seemed to stand out a bit more. I suspect he may turn out to be the biggest prize out of our box of Cracker Jacks that we signed. Very agile, and can shoot the three ( not sure that we should depend on it,though) plus he is bigger than I expected him to be. I am really glad that we got this guy

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Say that three times real fast! I paid more attention to him last night than anyone because he just seemed to stand out a bit more. I suspect he may turn out to be the biggest prize out of our box of Cracker Jacks that we signed. Very agile, and can shoot the three ( not sure that we should depend on it,though) plus he is bigger than I expected him to be. I am really glad that we got this guy

Definitely a player. Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but a lot of our veterans look bigger/more polished/better players overall. Samir plays really good defense and has a very nice drive to the hole, J'Von looks like he's got the swagger needed to be a PG1 in the SEC, Purifoy has a more cut build, and Wiley looks like an absolute hoss. Hope it carries over into the season. 

The freshman other than Okoro I think I'm most excited about is Tyrell Jones, actually. He can get to the middle of the lane, then distribute incredibly well. Don't think there will be a whole lot of drop off between him and J'Von this season. Also think he will be crucial in complementing Sharife and even playing that 2 guard spot a few times in 2020-2021. That's a while away though, but he looked shifty.

I have no doubt that this will be the most athletic basketball team to take the floor at AU in all the years that AU has fielded a team. Pretty sure that they won't be a F4 group this year, and will be behind UF, KY, UT as far as the SEC, but I am quite secure in believing that they will be fun to watch

Archived