Arkansas post game

Maverick.AU

2 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

DJ Williams dragging tacklers brought a tear to my eye.

Agreed. Really like what I saw out of him and Harold. I think that combo should be 1A-1B moving forward without Boobee. Am I the only one willing to bring up the fact that DJ looks like overweight right now? This has just thrown me off all day lol. I can't shake seeing that big ole gut on him. Does our conditioning not include situps?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Not just Jaws.....but JAWS 2!  Love almost ALL the Jaws movies... :bow:

Yeah, I can imagine Scheider at a nightspot.  Seemed like a guy who enjoyed good time.

Navarre Beach 1977. Filmed the water scenes and some beach scenes there. Had just met the still Mrs. Salty. She was living in Ft. Walton that summer with a few of her sorority sisters. 

Ran into Chief Brody a couple of times on cloudy Sunday afternoons on the beach. Likable kind of fellow, speedo bathing suit, tall boy beer, long Salem cigarette. Told people he was a carpenter, visiting and building a dock.     

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Navarre Beach 1977. Filmed the water scenes and some beach scenes there. Had just met the still Mrs. Salty. She was living in Ft. Walton that summer with a few of her sorority sisters. 

Ran into Chief Brody a couple of times on cloudy Sunday afternoons on the beach. Likable kind of fellow, speedo bathing suit, tall boy beer, long Salem cigarette. Told people he was a carpenter, visiting and building a dock.     

Awesome!  Not the image of him in a speedo but....LOL!

52 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And why not Kam ? 

KMart goes down way too easily to make a living running inside...where Gus seems to always want to go.  He's serviceable in space, but with our O Line being what it is, the Joiner/Williams option is far more likely to get the 3-4 yards per carry between the tackles that this offense is built on.

Oh, and pretty sure nobody here has claimed to coach for a living since CorchJay got thrown out.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

That was a great quote by Yamamoto and he was correct

I just wondered how the hell he didn’t improvise beforehand?

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I don’t even think Shivers will disappear. Joiner? Maybe, but DJ will obviously get more carries but I think Shivers will get a few more next game too. I mean did Kam even have a carry in the 2nd half?

I really need to see what the basis for not using Joiner all season has been by Gus. Even when he mentions training the running backs he throws Joiner in the conversation as a tack on rather than another member of the group. Perhaps he is begrudgingly using him at RB and DESPERATELY wants to put him at H-Back but Joiner isn't excelling there? 

I don't know but this seems like another Pettway-level personnel blunder in my books. Given Gus' propensity to want to run the inside zone, it makes no sense to not have Joiner or DJ as your feature back. Joiner's quickness through the hole and immediate size as well as pass versatility give you a very good weapon even in single-back looks. DJ can handle the small holes that our offensive line generates and has the balance to survive early penetration. Shivers has his uses and is also a necessary piece for our speedier sets. Put him at slot and motion him into the backfield on certain plays even if only to be a swing pass option, just utilize his speed to pull backers out of the box and punish one on ones.

I'm only pissed because I've been saying for WEEKS that we need Joiner. Even prior to the season. A workhorse back of that size and skillset is not an easy find and its criminal to continue to ineffectively pound the rock with Ball Peens when you have a Sledge Hammer sitting in your garage gathering dust. 

3 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

This was a very good win for us. Went vanilla again but the 2nd half we opened up a bit more. I really want to see more of Harold Joiner and DJ Williams. 

Tough test next week but I feel really good about our chances of pulling this one out. This was a good confidence building game for Bo but has got to protect the football. He is averaging 1 turnover per game which is way too much. I feel good about this team winning 3 or 4 of the next 5 games. 

Same.... That combo would be extremely effective and help Bo out because we've seen it.... Bo needs a competent run game to be effective as a passer or he is cooked. Personally I don't like the thought of Bo running the ball because it seems that he's not being drilled to run the ball in practice. Seems like something he wants to do to subconsciously open up the pass game on the ground himself. Can easily lead to injuries or more turnovers than necessary. 

1 hour ago, lca408 said:

Really? Shivers should get carries as the specialty guy on end arounds and such. He’s not a run it up the middle back - you gotta get him in space where he can hurt the D. His lack of size and strength showed today why he can’t do the in the middle stuff efficiently. Kam can do it a little because of his experience I guess but its clear that right now, D.J. and Joiner are the only guys we have to carry it up the middle with any success. Well, Miller did okay but we know he’s not necessarily the answer.

Kam did have a few carries in the 2nd that I remember. 

Shivers can be a Kamara type but he definitely needs some weight room before he's even close to ready for that. Shivers isn't a gadget back per se but more of a specific weapon. Let him line up at receiver with the option to touch the ball. The combination of the threats of both him and Schwartz on the field with a big back that CAN handle the interior run game like DJ or Joiner will put defenses at odds because it will on paper require lighter personnel, space the field out reducing second-level threats, and still let you pound A & B with a bigger body that can break open big runs. Seems easy enough but we haven't seen this all year so I don't know if this hasn't been suggested or if its just isn't being executed correctly. 

48 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And why not Kam ? 10 carries for 84 yards that 8.4 yrds per play. Led all the RBs out their today. So explain to me how you missed him in your list. This is why y’all don’t coach for a living.

To be blunt, Kam doesn't bring much new to the table. He is a "Do It All, but not excellently" kind of back. If we were in a pinch, Kam could be a decent fill-in. He isn't big enough & doesn't have the running style to perpetually handle running through trash, he isn't really fast enough to present too much of a threat bending the edges, and when he gets loose in open space its not necessarily an unwinnable foot race. 

There are just other backs on the roster that specialize and in some cases do everything that he does just as good if not better. Maybe we just saw a poor outing though. I can't rule that out. Nonetheless, without him being the 2nd highest volume back, I just don't see as much specialty coming from him.

22 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Out of reactions. These two leaving auburn makes me want to cry 

Best two 2019 recruits. 😂 but for real. Props to Gus and the staff for keeping them for their final year.  

28 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I really need to see what the basis for not using Joiner all season has been by Gus. Even when he mentions training the running backs he throws Joiner in the conversation as a tack on rather than another member of the group. Perhaps he is begrudgingly using him at RB and DESPERATELY wants to put him at H-Back but Joiner isn't excelling there? 

I don't know but this seems like another Pettway-level personnel blunder in my books. Given Gus' propensity to want to run the inside zone, it makes no sense to not have Joiner or DJ as your feature back. Joiner's quickness through the hole and immediate size as well as pass versatility give you a very good weapon even in single-back looks. DJ can handle the small holes that our offensive line generates and has the balance to survive early penetration. Shivers has his uses and is also a necessary piece for our speedier sets. Put him at slot and motion him into the backfield on certain plays even if only to be a swing pass option, just utilize his speed to pull backers out of the box and punish one on ones.

I'm only pissed because I've been saying for WEEKS that we need Joiner. Even prior to the season. A workhorse back of that size and skillset is not an easy find and its criminal to continue to ineffectively pound the rock with Ball Peens when you have a Sledge Hammer sitting in your garage gathering dust. 

So much this. I want Joiner and/or D.J. as the starter and Martin/Shivers used as the change of pace, gadget play RBs. I do however, think that bringing Gatewood on the field for at least 3-4 plays in a row a series with either Martin or Shivers in the backfield with him could be effective, especially with Schwartz or Stove as a threat on the end arounds. That would be closer to a Nick Marshall package with 3 different run styles/threats to defend. While I definitely think that Nix probably is the best option at QB, we absolutely need more Gatewood against LSU and the November opponents. You’ve been saying it for a while about needing Gatewood in the game plan and I think it’s crucial against the big dogs remaining. Of course it’d be great if Gatewood could be on the field for an entire drive along with Nix to be able to slide back and forth. But that’s a fools hope I guess haha.

3 minutes ago, lca408 said:

So much this. I want Joiner and/or D.J. as the starter and Martin/Shivers used as the change of pace, gadget play RBs. I do however, think that bringing Gatewood on the field for at least 3-4 plays in a row a series with either Martin or Shivers in the backfield with him could be effective, especially with Schwartz or Stove as a threat on the end arounds. That would be closer to a Nick Marshall package with 3 different run styles/threats to defend. While I definitely think that Nix probably is the best option at QB, we absolutely need more Gatewood against LSU and the November opponents. You’ve been saying it for a while about needing Gatewood in the game plan and I think it’s crucial against the big dogs remaining. Of course it’d be great if Gatewood could be on the field for an entire drive along with Nix to be able to slide back and forth. But that’s a fools hope I guess haha.

Seems far too innovative of an idea from what Gus would consider to be his offense to be implemented. Would be cool though.

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Amen. That shotgun toss can be used to our advantage as well, with the QB keep option and play action. The fact that we saw it and then didn’t see it against UF worries me about Gus’ game plan in the big games

Yeah he’s gotta stop worrying about what he thinks other teams are going to do and just worry about us. Run those tosses and reverses. Even if they don’t work stick with it

53 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Same.... That combo would be extremely effective and help Bo out because we've seen it.... Bo needs a competent run game to be effective as a passer or he is cooked. Personally I don't like the thought of Bo running the ball because it seems that he's not being drilled to run the ball in practice. Seems like something he wants to do to subconsciously open up the pass game on the ground himself. Can easily lead to injuries or more turnovers than necessary. 

Shivers can be a Kamara type but he definitely needs some weight room before he's even close to ready for that. Shivers isn't a gadget back per se but more of a specific weapon. Let him line up at receiver with the option to touch the ball. The combination of the threats of both him and Schwartz on the field with a big back that CAN handle the interior run game like DJ or Joiner will put defenses at odds because it will on paper require lighter personnel, space the field out reducing second-level threats, and still let you pound A & B with a bigger body that can break open big runs. Seems easy enough but we haven't seen this all year so I don't know if this hasn't been suggested or if its just isn't being executed correctly. 

To be blunt, Kam doesn't bring much new to the table. He is a "Do It All, but not excellently" kind of back. If we were in a pinch, Kam could be a decent fill-in. He isn't big enough & doesn't have the running style to perpetually handle running through trash, he isn't really fast enough to present too much of a threat bending the edges, and when he gets loose in open space its not necessarily an unwinnable foot race. 

There are just other backs on the roster that specialize and in some cases do everything that he does just as good if not better. Maybe we just saw a poor outing though. I can't rule that out. Nonetheless, without him being the 2nd highest volume back, I just don't see as much specialty coming from him.

Is Joiner a sledgehammer? I thought he was a big guy who was a finesse back. 

Just now, Sizzle said:

Is Joiner a sledgehammer? I thought he was a big guy who was a finesse back. 

He was a finesse guy but they worked all preseason to get him to be a lot more physical. It prob has paid off.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

He was a finesse guy but they worked all preseason to get him to be a lot more physical. It prob has paid off.

I hope so. When the time comes I hope he takes advantage 

Joiner and DJ could be a ferocious combo. I love the looks of Joiner. If we get him some more touches this season, and another year of S&C and 10-15 pounds of muscle....6'4 230, He could be NASTY!

15 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I'd love to see us in 20 with Joiner/DJ and Shivers/Kam. We could have so much fun it. Or start in 10 or 11 and motion into 20

The only thing I really like about Kam is how quick he hits the hole ( when there is one) on inside runs. I don’t think he’s extremely fast on the edge. But when he has a crease he sees space and gets north pretty good. 

I liked what I saw from both DJ and Harold today. I expected DJ. Joiner was very intriguing. As versatile as he is with height and hands... if he can run like that against someone other than Arkansas second stringers.....

5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I don’t even think Shivers will disappear. Joiner? Maybe, but DJ will obviously get more carries but I think Shivers will get a few more next game too. I mean did Kam even have a carry in the 2nd half?

well Gus isnt actively able to use multiple RBs together. His version of that premise is to just use RBs in segmented periods. But whats telling is that Kam was the first segment. I also think DJ got the most burn and looked the most impressive. Shivers is somewhere between those two imo, but who knows? I think if Gus realizes the off tackle game is what his team is best at, then Kam would be picked first over Shivers

Well this was kind of an odd game to reflect on. We won big and blew them out like we should have so that is good. consistently not being able to get 3rd and 1 and the 4th and 1 is concerning. We have to capitalize on short field opportunities when we get them. We can’t survive the big games when the offense disappears from about mid 1st quarter to mid 3rd quarter. I want this team to take that next step to compete with the best. I think they can and are close. But they have to take it

WDE and on too lsu....gonna take our best game to beat them. 

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

well Gus isnt actively able to use multiple RBs together. His version of that premise is to just use RBs in segmented periods. But whats telling is that Kam was the first segment. I also think DJ got the most burn and looked the most impressive. Shivers is somewhere between those two imo, but who knows? I think if Gus realizes the off tackle game is what his team is best at, then Kam would be picked first over Shivers

All the guys you mention are different...they are not interchangeable.  Saw several plays where Boobee would have made some yards when two of the other backs went down quickly with no YAC.    

Glad that all of them got time on the field but to me at least...DJ is the only one who is pretty direct sub for Boobee.  Gonna miss Boobee but if DJ stays healthy, I think he does a good job of covering the loss.    Likely not to be the same running game with the other guys on the field and third and short is the spot where we need a better solution with Boobee not able to do the wildcat.  . 

Can Gus not see how weak the middle of our oline is? Do you think he has considered replacing someone in the middle? What reason would he not make a change? Is it because the backups are even worse? If so how could we recruit a roster full of olinemen who can’t get any push and doesn’t like contact? He believes strongly in seniority? Only time he made a change I can remember was with the center last year and when Driscoll got hurt last year. It seems there was a year with Tubs we started 3 freshman against, I believe, Florida and upset them. I think it was Pugh, Zimba, and Ramsey. We don’t have those guys on roster but maybe we have someone who likes contact. I’d make it a competition and the guys that moved the line of scrimmage would see more playing time. We have become a finesse offense.

Archived