SEC Network History Special Slights Auburn

AUFriction

SEC Network has been releasing specials documenting the history of the SEC. Most of them were pretty okay (though they make the Bear look like a saint instead of the drunken abusive jerk that he really was).

I was taken aback by the last one they released that covered the previous decade (2000-2009). They covered Holtz’s tenure at USCe, which was pointless and forgettable. They also spent most of the special talking about UF, LSU, and Bama. They didn’t say one sentence in the special about our undefeated season. So sick of the media’s anti-Auburn bias.

13 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

SEC Network has been releasing specials documenting the history of the SEC. Most of them were pretty okay (though they make the Bear look like a saint instead of the drunken abusive jerk that he really was).

I was taken aback by the last one they released that covered the previous decade (2000-2009). They covered Holtz’s tenure at USCe, which was pointless and forgettable. They also spent most of the special talking about UF, LSU, and Bama. They didn’t say one sentence in the special about our undefeated season. So sick of the media’s anti-Auburn bias.

Yeah Bear didn’t want anything to do with black football players until he got his a** kicked. Miserable piece of **** by all non-biased accounts. He wore plaid way more often than houndstooth as well. But most “Bama fans” only started following the sport in 09.

How you couldn’t spend time on the 04 team being the TRUE catalyst for the playoffs is baffling. Not to mention the 6 game win streak over Bama. 

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

How you couldn’t spend time on the 04 team being the TRUE catalyst for the playoffs is baffling. Not to mention the 6 game win streak over Bama.

Good question and answer in two sentences.;)

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I watched the last 30’ish minutes of this show. I didn’t see a single clip of Auburn. Literally. Not one.

They don’t even say the word “Auburn” in the show once. Our only appearance is in clips of us playing against Bama and UF.

On 10/20/2019 at 12:42 AM, AUFriction said:

Maybe just maybe they will "mention" the marvelous 2004 AU season in tonights episode when they will definitely cover the AU Cam Newton national title season of 2010. 

On 10/20/2019 at 12:58 AM, Zeek said:

Yeah Bear didn’t want anything to do with black football players until he got his a** kicked. Miserable piece of **** by all non-biased accounts. He wore plaid way more often than houndstooth as well. But most “Bama fans” only started following the sport in 09.

According to the SECN special Bear wanted black players for awhile before he actually started recruiting them around 1970(?) but George Wallace forbade it. I could probably believe this knowing what a slimeball Wallace was, but I could also see this as being a lie to protect the Bears legacy.

2 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

According to the SECN special Bear wanted black players for awhile before he actually started recruiting them around 1970(?) but George Wallace forbade it. I could probably believe this knowing what a slimeball Wallace was, but I could also see this as being a lie to protect the Bears legacy.

Yeah, obviously anything at this point is hearsay. My understanding was he was against it until he got his tail whipped; dude liked winning way more than he was prejudiced lol. Hell, he’d probably sell his family for another Natty or two.

21 hours ago, Zeek said:

Yeah, obviously anything at this point is hearsay. My understanding was he was against it until he got his tail whipped; dude liked winning way more than he was prejudiced lol. Hell, he’d probably sell his family for another Natty or two.

What I’ve heard is pretty similar. Bear was allegedly very racist. His desire to win was just more powerful than his racism.

23 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Maybe just maybe they will "mention" the marvelous 2004 AU season in tonights episode when they will definitely cover the AU Cam Newton national title season of 2010. 

Haven’t finished the episode, but they didn’t mention it during the championship season part of the special.

They did (incorrectly) allude to Cam stealing a laptop. Still baffles me how they can’t get the story straight after almost a decade. He bought a computer in a sketchy deal that turned out to be stolen property. Probably wouldn’t have gotten in any trouble at all if he had just turned it in instead of ditching it in the trash after finding out it was stolen. 

To make matters worse, that NC was a huge story, and they spent like 5 minutes on it.

44 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Haven’t finished the episode, but they didn’t mention it during the championship season part of the special.

They did (incorrectly) allude to Cam stealing a laptop. Still baffles me how they can’t get the story straight after almost a decade. He bought a computer in a sketchy deal that turned out to be stolen property. Probably wouldn’t have gotten in any trouble at all if he had just turned it in instead of ditching it in the trash after finding out it was stolen. 

To make matters worse, that NC was a huge story, and they spent like 5 minutes on it.

The last episode was mostly a Saban lovefest. Kind of sickening. Agreed there should have been more on the AU national title season.

7 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

The last episode was mostly a Saban lovefest. Kind of sickening. Agreed there should have been more on the AU national title season.

Yep. Just finished it. They don’t even mention us beating 2 #1’s two weeks in a row. They just jump to Bama winning the championship.

On 10/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, ChltteTiger said:

I don't believe that. Auburn had James Owens here before there was a single black player at Tuskaloser. Henry Harris had been on our basketball team for two years and Thom Gossom was also already on Auburn's team when the first black player showed up over there. Where was George Wallace when AU was signing blacks? That story is just whitewash for Bryant's image.

On 10/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, Mikey said:

I don't believe that. Auburn had James Owens here before there was a single black player at Tuskaloser. Henry Harris had been on our basketball team for two years and Thom Gossom was also already on Auburn's team when the first black player showed up over there. Where was George Wallace when AU was signing blacks? That story is just whitewash for Bryant's image.

The bammers love to rewrite history.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 9:58 PM, Zeek said:

This.  Plaid hat & plaid sportscoats -- made him look like the quintessential used car salesman.  Really don't know how hound's-tooth became the symbol of their delusional fan-base, but … oh, wait.  

Archived