Position grades vs Arky

AuburnTiger4Life

QB: B+. It’s a consistency issue for Bo. One minute he can’t hit the broad side of a barn, next minute he’s making NFL throws. Also would like to see him check it down more instead of always going for the HR. We’re gonna need 4 good quarters of him to beat LSU. I believe he can do it. 

RBs: A-. No complaints. Still wanna see more DJ and Joiner if he’s healthy 

OL: B. They’ve been surprisingly good in pass blocking. But run blocking, especially in short yardage situations has to improve. Need a big back or JG in those situations. Kam isn’t big enough. 

WR’s: A-. Schwartz’ has a drop in the first half and Seth looked like he ran the wrong routes early in the game. Other than that, they’ve been much improved this season. 

DL: A+. Even double teams aren’t holding Derrick Brown back. Marlon has been a beast the past few weeks, TD seems to be improving and Truesdell has been a silent anchor on that line.

LBs: A-. Phenomenal against the run. Very athletic group. Still have to cover TEs better. I don’t know what the fix is to that but hopefully the get it figured out. 

Secondary: A. They get a bad rep but I think they’ve gotten a lot better since the Oregon game. Probably can be contributed to the DL getting better as well. Didn’t see any blown coverages against Arky. 

Special teams: B+. Great kick coverage. Sippos has improved his hang time. Carlson missing the FG and an extra point brought the score down 

My grades are basically the same except LB’s. I’ll give them a B-. That’s 2 weeks straight of them getting lit up in the pass game for a long score. Teams are going to keep targeting Britt in the pass

36 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

My grades are basically the same except LB’s. I’ll give them a B-. That’s 2 weeks straight of them getting lit up in the pass game for a long score. Teams are going to keep targeting Britt in the pass

I will agree, except I place that more on coaching/scheme than the players themselves. It has been a mismatch with Britt on WR/TEs and if that happens we need to do something different. Maybe run Owen out in coverage. I know O.P. has more speed than Britt. Preferably not have a LB playing 1 on 1 with someone way more athletic. I know this will happen time to time, but that's like asking Kevin Hart to cover Lebron on a jumpshot. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I will agree, except I place that more on coaching/scheme than the players themselves. It has been a mismatch with Britt on WR/TEs and if that happens we need to do something different. Maybe run Owen out in coverage. I know O.P. has more speed than Britt. Preferably not have a LB playing 1 on 1 with someone way more athletic. I know this will happen time to time, but that's like asking Kevin Hart to cover Lebron on a jumpshot. 

Owen goes in coverage too. Offenses are probably changing their plays at the LOS when Britt is on the field to try to create that mismatch 

8 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Owen goes in coverage too. Offenses are probably changing their plays at the LOS when Britt is on the field to try to create that mismatch 

Well yes no doubt they are. I don't know, that play against UF they housed on us I feel we should have taken a TO. Realign do something! Easy to be a couch QB!

I've also been impressed with Tutt and Dinson also JDavis.  Hopefully they all have career games Saturday.

On 10/20/2019 at 3:05 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

QB: B+. It’s a consistency issue for Bo. One minute he can’t hit the broad side of a barn, next minute he’s making NFL throws. Also would like to see him check it down more instead of always going for the HR. We’re gonna need 4 good quarters of him to beat LSU. I believe he can do it. 

He does miss some check downs and I think his footwork makes a huge impact on his throws.

RBs: A-. No complaints. Still wanna see more DJ and Joiner if he’s healthy 

Agreed, Shiv and Kam can be deadly if used correctly

OL: B. They’ve been surprisingly good in pass blocking. But run blocking, especially in short yardage situations has to improve. Need a big back or JG in those situations. Kam isn’t big enough. 

Or at least go under center

WR’s: A-. Schwartz’ has a drop in the first half and Seth looked like he ran the wrong routes early in the game. Other than that, they’ve been much improved this season. 

I might lower the grade a little. Some effort issues here and there but overall solid.

DL: A+. Even double teams aren’t holding Derrick Brown back. Marlon has been a beast the past few weeks, TD seems to be improving and Truesdell has been a silent anchor on that line.

All I could focus on was Marlin. Dude took over the game. Brown does a tremendous job tracking down running backs on extended plays.

LBs: A-. Phenomenal against the run. Very athletic group. Still have to cover TEs better. I don’t know what the fix is to that but hopefully the get it figured out. 

The fix is OP needs to be in coverage instead of Britt. I don't know that OP is any better but he can't be worse than KJ in coverage of speedy tight ends.

Secondary: A. They get a bad rep but I think they’ve gotten a lot better since the Oregon game. Probably can be contributed to the DL getting better as well. Didn’t see any blown coverages against Arky. 

They're definitely our weakest link but solid overall. We've been eaten alive this year by quick routes and receivers with magic hands.

Special teams: B+. Great kick coverage. Sippos has improved his hang time. Carlson missing the FG and an extra point brought the score down 

The extra point was funny and sad. Siposs looked way better than he did earlier in the season. Didn't even attempt punt returns but their punter did a good job forcing a fair catch.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

He does miss some check downs and I think his footwork makes a huge impact on his throws.

Agreed, Shiv and Kam can be deadly if used correctly

Or at least go under center

I might lower the grade a little. Some effort issues here and there but overall solid.

All I could focus on was Marlin. Dude took over the game. Brown does a tremendous job tracking down running backs on extended plays.

The fix is OP needs to be in coverage instead of Britt. I don't know that OP is any better but he can't be worse than KJ in coverage of speedy tight ends.

They're definitely our weakest link but solid overall. We've been eaten alive this year by quick routes and receivers with magic hands.

The extra point was funny and sad. Siposs looked way better than he did earlier in the season. Didn't even attempt punt returns but their punter did a good job forcing a fair catch.

I don’t think it’s the secondary tbh I think it’s the LB’s who our weak link. Great for the most part in the run game but in the pass they’re not helping anybody. You’d think our hard hitting LB’s would be there to lay a hard hit on a slant over the middle but they’re never there

56 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I don’t think it’s the secondary tbh I think it’s the LB’s who our weak link. Great for the most part in the run game but in the pass they’re not helping anybody. You’d think our hard hitting LB’s would be there to lay a hard hit on a slant over the middle but they’re never there

True, a lot of our formations leave the middle completely open before the play even starts. 

Archived