Our running backs hop on run plays

AdamsHouseCat

29 minutes ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

...and do not hop on pass plays.  Check some of the short highlight videos.

Yeah, and correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t we the only team that does this?

To me this falls under... if it was so awesome, everyone would be doing it!

Just now, Hopsing said:

Yeah, and correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t we the only team that does this?

To me this falls under... if it was so awesome, everyone would be doing it!

the hopping isn't bothersome; it's the telegraphing what the play is.  Maybe it's one of those tendencies Gus wants to establish so that he can break it against Alabama for a big gain that gets called back for a stupid penalty. 

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

the hopping isn't bothersome; it's the telegraphing what the play is.  Maybe it's one of those tendencies Gus wants to establish so that he can break it against Alabama for a big gain that gets called back for a stupid penalty. 

I laughed...

...and cried.

They hop when they’re running in motion back to the QB. Look at the slant completion to Schwartz in the first quarter. The RB hopped then but that was a pass

2 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Take a look at Arkansas highlights.  Hop = run.  No hop = pass.

They’re not hopping because they weren’t being motioned. If you hop and not in motion then that’s a false start

13 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

...and do not hop on pass plays.  Check some of the short highlight videos.

This has been driving me nuts. Maybe there is the rare occasion where they don't end up getting the ball but overall it's a tell. 

11 hours ago, Sizzle said:

They hop when they’re running in motion back to the QB. Look at the slant completion to Schwartz in the first quarter. The RB hopped then but that was a pass

Was it an RPO? Play action? Honest question. 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This has been driving me nuts. Maybe there is the rare occasion where they don't end up getting the ball but overall it's a tell. 

Really Poor Offense

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It’s an option play. The QB can hand the ball off, keep it and run it, or pull it and throw it. I guess you could say it’s play action if he pulls it and throws it

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It’s an option play. The QB can hand the ball off, keep it and run it, or pull it and throw it. I guess you could say it’s play action if he pulls it and throws it

Hah, yeah, I know what an RPO is. I was asking if that particular play was one. I don't recall the play being referenced. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Hah, yeah, I know what an RPO is. I was asking if that particular play was one. I don't recall the play being referenced. 

I think that was an RPO

13 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Take a look at Arkansas highlights.  Hop = run.  No hop = pass.

This isn't 100%.  not even close.  Maybe on the highlight video,  but not  over an entire game.  Someone mention the hop a few weeks ago,  and I have been watching for it since.  I noticed plenty of "hops"  when there was a pass play,  and plenty of "non hops"  during run plays. 

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

This isn't 100%.  not even close.  Maybe on the highlight video,  but not  over an entire game.  Someone mention the hop a few weeks ago,  and I have been watching for it since.  I noticed plenty of "hops"  when there was a pass play,  and plenty of "non hops"  during run plays. 

Hmm. I'll watch more closely going forward. (Not sure if someone else did, but I definitely mentioned it after the UF game.)

Maybe it's just something we teach to keep the RBs better prepared for motion, period. 

Not sure if this is on every play but I did notice that the RBs hop In running plays when watching the highlights. Never noticed it before this game. HJ gives a major bunny hop before he scores. 
maybe it is good luck. 

23 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Let’s just let LSU think it is 😉

50 minutes ago, alexava said:

When is the “ hop” taking place?

Before the snap, after they shift over/up next to the QB. 

Usually just the shift is a tell on its own, really. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Hmm. I'll watch more closely going forward. (Not sure if someone else did, but I definitely mentioned it after the UF game.)

Maybe it's just something we teach to keep the RBs better prepared for motion, period. 

I hope we are not teaching that.  We do hop  a lot more often on Run plays.   If they are being taught to hop on run plays, they should hop every play.  I mean,  it cant hurt to hop on a pass pay can it?

i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Before the snap, after they shift over/up next to the QB. 

Usually just the shift is a tell on its own, really. 

Out of curiosity, I want to check Memphis film from last year. I know there were a few things the QBs and RBs repped a ton in camp to help with timing. Doesn’t make it okay but it may be part of that. I’ll investigate.

4 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Out of curiosity, I want to check Memphis film from last year. I know there were a few things the QBs and RBs repped a ton in camp to help with timing. Doesn’t make it okay but it may be part of that. I’ll investigate.

Awesome, thanks. Will be curious to read your findings. 

Archived