2019/20 Season Long Men's Rankings & NET Thread

toddc

AP College Basketball Poll 2019: Complete Preseason Rankings Released

TIM DANIELSOCTOBER 21, 2019

Pat Semansky/Associated Press

Michigan State took the top spot in the Associated Press men's college basketball poll preseason rankings released Monday ahead of the 2019-20 season. 

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and Louisville rounded out the Top Five. The reigning NCAA tournament champion Virginia Cavaliers checked in at No. 11. 

Here's a look at the complete preseason poll:

1. Michigan State

2. Kentucky

3. Kansas

4. Duke

5. Louisville

6. Florida

7. Maryland

8. Gonzaga

9. North Carolina

10. Villanova

11. Virginia

12. Seton Hall

13. Texas Tech

14. Memphis

15. Oregon

16. Baylor

17. Utah State

18. Ohio State

19. Xavier

20. Saint Mary's

21. Arizona

22. LSU

23. Purdue

24. Auburn

25. VCU

All signs point to a wide-open college basketball season with no clear favorite heading into the campaign.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's fine. I think we will be hovering around there and lower throughout the season. As we all know, all that matters is we hit our stride towards the middle of February and ride the wave through the post season. 

I'm very excited for the ride this team will take us on. There will undoubtedly be some frustrating moments but it's going to be a joy to watch these newcomers grow within the program over the next couple years

I think it’s about right, and I’m just happy to be ranked preseason after the drought we had before CBP.

I feel thats some pretty nice respect being thrown AU and Pearl's direction. We are rebuilding our team (without a bunch of 1st round NBA prospects) and the pollsters have enough faith in us to put us in the poll. I hope the team proves the pollsters correct with their ranking

I love it actually. Just enough to show that AU has started earning respect in CBB, but plenty of motivation for this team to grow into. 

This team has a high ceiling. They can climb much higher in the polls depending on how they gel as a team both in term of playing and chemistry. If the right players step up, this team can be better than last year's because the scoring will be more balanced.

I like the fact we are getting some respect but until season starts and we play some decent teams I have no idea if we fit here should be lower or higher.  With so many new pieces it is difficult to say.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020/21 Season Long Men's Poll & NET Thread
7 hours ago, countoff said:

A pre-season poll is stupid for football.  It is even more stupid for basketball.

January is a better time to start basketball polls.

Polls don't matter for basketball anyway. The NET & other non human rankings are the only ones that have any validity.

• ellitor changed the title to 2019/20 Season Long Men's Poll & NET Thread
15 hours ago, ellitor said:

Polls don't matter for basketball anyway. The NET & other non human rankings are the only ones that have any validity.

Agreed.  So the only purpose of an AP poll for basketball is to see how the media ranks us against everyone else.

And we all have respect for the media.....right?

58 minutes ago, countoff said:

And we all have respect for the media.....right?

About as much respect as I have for Bama, UGA, & Eagles/Phillies fans.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:30 AM, AUTigersfan89 said:

This team has a high ceiling. They can climb much higher in the polls depending on how they gel as a team both in term of playing and chemistry. If the right players step up, this team can be better than last year's because the scoring will be more balanced.

While I am looking forward to watching this team grow, it will not be better than last year's 30 win team. We went on a historic run, lost a program leading shooter and the highest ranked draft pick in many years. I am not one to be a downer, but let's be realistic, we bring back mostly role players and some well regarded freshmen. 

On 10/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, JwgreDeux said:

While I am looking forward to watching this team grow, it will not be better than last year's 30 win team. We went on a historic run, lost a program leading shooter and the highest ranked draft pick in many years. I am not one to be a downer, but let's be realistic, we bring back mostly role players and some well regarded freshmen. 

Yup! Making the tourney this year in a roster transition year would be a solid accomplishment IMO.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup! Making the tourney this year in a roster transition year would be a solid accomplishment IMO.

On the way, though, wouldn't you think? With wins over two solid teams

Auburn basketball moves up 2 spots in latest AP poll

Posted Nov 11, 2019

2 minutes

Auburn Basketball

AP

Auburn is moving on up.

After entering the season ranked 24th in the AP top 25, Bruce Pearl’s team moved up two spots in the latest edition of the poll released Monday morning, checking in at 22nd in the Week 2 rankings.

Auburn went 2-0 during the first week of the season, recording a home win against Georgia Southern to open the year and then suffocating Davidson in a neutral-site game on Friday in Annapolis, Md. Auburn is the third-highest ranked SEC team in this week’s poll, coming in behind newly anointed No. 1 Kentucky (2-0) and No. 15 Florida (1-1).

In all, four SEC teams are ranked in this week’s AP top 25. LSU rounds out the group at No. 23, right behind Auburn, after starting the season ranked 22nd.

Auburn will look to improve on its 2-0 start beginning Tuesday with a road trip down to Mobile to take on Southern Alabama at 7 p.m., with the game airing on ESPN+. Auburn will also host Cal State Northridge on Friday at Auburn Arena this week.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Conversation

Tom Green

@Tomas_Verde

Auburn is up to No. 19 in the AP basketball poll. Tigers moved up three more spots after improving to 4-0.

I’m hoping as this team gels more and more they will continue to get better and move upward each week!

Just for discussions sake, currently according to Kenpom (we are ranked 24th)  there are only 8 team ranked ahead of us with stronger SOS. Ours currently ranks 161st. 

Auburn continues ascent in AP Basketball Poll

Updated Nov 18, 2019;Posted Nov 18, 2019

By Giana Han

After beating South Alabama by one point and CSUN by 46 points, Auburn moved up three spots in the AP Poll to No. 19.

Auburn started the year at 24 and has now moved up five spots with its four wins over Georgia Southern, Davidson South Alabama and CSUN.

In its most recent win, against CSUN, Auburn passed 100 points for the first time this season. It was the most they have scored since 2017 when the Tigers put up 119 against Winthrop. It was also the largest margin the Tigers have won by this season.

5 takeaways from Auburn's 116-70 win over CSUN

Auburn hit the century mark for the first time this season in its win over CSUN.

There are six one-loss teams ranked above Auburn, and Auburn is one of 10 four-win teams.

Auburn is the second highest-ranked SEC team. Tennessee and Kentucky are the only other teams from the league that are ranked, with Kentucky at No. 9 and Tennessee one spot below Auburn at No. 20.

The Tigers’ next game is Monday at 7 p.m. against Colgate in Auburn Arena.

Archived