Schwartz move could be key to beating LSU

aubiefifty

14 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Has anyone ever asked Gus what his logic is behind not having his two biggest playmakers on the field together most of the time?

You'd think he'd see what everyone else sees wouldn't you? I swear if Gus was playing poker he would play a Full House as 2 Pair because he wouldn't know what it meant to be holding a Wildcard. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, kwagoner said:

I’m sure “(which was also in part due to the removal of the brace he had been wearing on his surgically repaired left hand)” had a lot to do with those 6 weeks.

I’m not calling our HC a buffoon over not playing him the fist 3 games. The injury gets a pass.

But when Schwartz exploded in games 4 & 5, was obvious he should be on the field every snap minus goalline packages and get at bottoms 10 touches/game. 

He gets a single touch v FL. THEN our buffoon HC has a revelation...switch his position to get him on the field more often. 

Sometimes he makes Les Miles seem like a genius. 

5 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

You guys have memories like 50 First Dates.  Schwartz has been hurt for the majority of the season. 🙄

Three games, which is not the majority of the season given there has been seven games.

Gus had the entire offseason to identify his playmakers and find a way to get them on the field.

Gus has had 13+ years in college ball, not to mention his high school career, to familiarize himself with the notion of playing your best players. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus had the entire offseason to identify his playmakers and find a way to get them on the field.

Gus has had 13+ years in college ball, not to mention his high school career, to familiarize himself with the notion of playing your best players. 

Gus is  50 First Dates

After Williams and Swartz, who do we consider to be our best receivers?

If we had a 4 wide receiver / set, who would we most want in?

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

After Williams and Swartz, who do we consider to be our best receivers?

If we had a 4 wide receiver / set, who would we most want in?

For me it's Hastings and Stove...

...but those are guys with some overlapping abilities, and Stove's skills overlap some with Schwartz's...

...and then there's Canella, who might not be straight up as talented as those dudes, but who is practically Jimmy Graham compared to them in terms of respective skill sets...

...and then there's beast blocker Shed Jackson, and untapped potential Matt Hill...

...so our best two receivers after the big 2, IMO, are Hastings and Stove...

....but in a 4 WR set, I'm going with Hastings and Canella. 

This goes back to the off-season debate I had the previous summer when I argued with an insider in regards to how Gus uses his WR position. He pidgeonholes them to a spot instead of figuring out how to get the best on the field. If you are a speed guy, this is your role and you will stay there. If you are a blocker, this is your role and you will stay there. If you are an outside guy, this is your role and you will stay there. Unfortunately if your best playmakers are all speed or sweep guys, he does not know how to implement them all on the field. I don’t get why this is, but it is the truth. To me, Seth Williams is a type of guy you can move anywhere on the field. Same with Anthony. There is really no reason why we couldn’t have a 4 wide set with Flash, Seth, will and Eli . 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

...but those are guys with some overlapping abilities, and Stove's skills overlap some with Schwartz's...

...and then there's Canella, who might not be straight up as talented as those dudes, but who is practically Jimmy Graham compared to them in terms of respective skill sets...

...and then there's beast blocker Shed Jackson, and untapped potential Matt Hill...

It’s hard for me to leave stove out. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Me, too. I'm super not confident about that. 

The best thing about this problem is you don’t have to make it permanent. But you gotta make adjustments to get your top two players in virtually every play. I’m glad we’re doing that. 

5 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

You guys have memories like 50 First Dates.  Schwartz has been hurt for the majority of the season. 🙄

Just think, if he had been healthy all that time, he still wouldn't be on the field at the same time until last week.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Who on that list with eligibility remaining after this year enters the transfer portal? (McClain included)

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:
2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Gus is  50 First Dates

And he's no Drew Barrymore.

Of course he's not Drew Barrymore.

He's this guy...

giphy (1).gif

21 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Has anyone ever asked Gus what his logic is behind not having his two biggest playmakers on the field together most of the time?

His logic is he doesn’t want his QB to have to look to two different sides of the field on one play. You know...common stuff they do in the league. Getting him to admit it...that ain’t gonna happen. Gus wants, at tops, a choice of two routes, both lining up on the same side of the field. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

There is really no reason why we couldn’t have a 4 wide set with Flash, Seth, will and Eli .

Your entire post is spot on. The problem is...Gus believes Schwartz, Hastings and Stove are not good run blockers. And I can’t argue there. That set would be most beneficial on long yardage. Not so much on a RB sweep.

However, when Gus puts his typical run blockers in...Williams, Canella, Wilson and another H-Back, it’s about a 90-95% chance Gus is running it...that’s why Gus’ offense is so easy to scheme against. 

IMO, Williams & Schwartz should always be on the field, every play, unless they’re injured, winded or goalline plays.

The other two guys should be a healthy mix...not two H-Backs, so it doesn’t give away a run...and not two burners, so it doesn’t give away a pass. If you want to run a RB sweep, great, put Canella or a H-Back on the opposite side of Williams. But complement the other side with a burner. You can still run your burner in motion to fake or get the jet sweep...even throw it to them after the fake like we used to with O-Mac. Alas, Gus has forgotten that’s an option. We have Schwartz AND Stove for that...an embarrassment of speed riches.

Stop allowing the defense to easily scheme you because of your personnel. Because if fans can figure you out...

6 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

JJ Wilson is extremely underutilized. I would rather see him in the game than Canella.

They don't technically play the same position, fyi.

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

They don't technically play the same position, fyi.

But I have no doubt he could. And I would feel better with him in the game. Wilson is a very talented and versatile player.

2 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

But I have no doubt he could. And I would feel better with him in the game. Wilson is a very talented and versatile player.

Wilson reminds me a lot of Eric Smith. I wish we'd use him the same way.

Archived