Schwartz move could be key to beating LSU

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Both have blocked well and caught everything thrown their way this season 

There is a toughness that separates Wilson from Canella. I'm just not as big of a fan of Canella. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

But I have no doubt he could. And I would feel better with him in the game. Wilson is a very talented and versatile player.

Okay. Just pointing out there there's no reason they wouldn't both be on the field. It's not really an either/or thing. Without looking, I'd venture a guess there have been numerous times they've been on the field together.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:10 PM, Viper said:

Your entire post is spot on. The problem is...Gus believes Schwartz, Hastings and Stove are not good run blockers. And I can’t argue there. That set would be most beneficial on long yardage. Not so much on a RB sweep.

However, when Gus puts his typical run blockers in...Williams, Canella, Wilson and another H-Back, it’s about a 90-95% chance Gus is running it...that’s why Gus’ offense is so easy to scheme against. 

IMO, Williams & Schwartz should always be on the field, every play, unless they’re injured, winded or goalline plays.

The other two guys should be a healthy mix...not two H-Backs, so it doesn’t give away a run...and not two burners, so it doesn’t give away a pass. If you want to run a RB sweep, great, put Canella or a H-Back on the opposite side of Williams. But complement the other side with a burner. You can still run your burner in motion to fake or get the jet sweep...even throw it to them after the fake like we used to with O-Mac. Alas, Gus has forgotten that’s an option. We have Schwartz AND Stove for that...an embarrassment of speed riches.

Stop allowing the defense to easily scheme you because of your personnel. Because if fans can figure you out...

I can see why he might think that they're not good run-blockers, but the situation that he surely must see is the fact that you don't need them to block. Especially if you have almost each receiver capable of some sort of RPO-Based action. The thing is RECEIVERS DON'T HAVE TO BLOCK WELL IN TODAY'S GAME OF FOOTBALL. If you have Hasting running bubble screen on a Outside ZR while he's covered up by Williams who is running the RPO slant, then the DBs have to respect the realistic possibility of either of those guys getting the ball and if the give or pull is going to the opposite side to which you have at your Y-Slot blocking well and your Z on a quick-screen, then the ability of the D to stop the run is completely neutralized because their DBs are:

1. Spread out among the field

2. Respecting the realistic threat of the QB throwing color on a run play

3. Outside of the box presenting a MUCH easier time of running the ball or if they remain in base align, giving too much cushion to VERY FAST players in space. image.png

I keep plugging this play in but its because it is a beautiful and diverse play that can ALWAYS be ran and is seldom possible to stop unless you have athletes with incredible range at EVERY POSITION. Its able to be an integral part of the hurry up game because you can run it regardless of personnel as long as you have 4 athletes spread out wide and a QB that can scoot. 

Gus' thinking is antiquated to me in this respect because of the fact that this form of offense and putting his 4 best athletes out wide was the NATURAL evolution of his offense yet he has ignored and at times OUTRIGHT RESISTED this change.

3 hours ago, CCTAU said:

JJ Wilson is extremely underutilized. I would rather see him in the game than Canella.

Wilson could be a good swap but his niche that Gus wants him to fill is H-Back and he is rather big even for a Jumbo slot so I don't know whether or not he'd be a mismatch against anything more than an LB. Cannella allows you to still be VERY AMBIGUOUS in your run-pass tendencies because of at least the perceived threat of him being a better receiving option. Then again, maybe that makes Wilson more viable if he is very athletic because you force the defense to go heavy based on the schematics of your D.

3 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Both have blocked well and caught everything thrown their way this season 

Can't disagree with this at all.

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Wilson reminds me a lot of Eric Smith. I wish we'd use him the same way.

I'd def not want to lean even more towards the FB days. We don't have a Prosch or a Cox as a blocker and bunching the box up more with our poor OL is a recipe for disaster. Spread it out and give your OL more of a chance to win against smaller faster defenders in light packages. 

Add in Gatewood and you don't need an extra blocker because it becomes 11 on 11 football.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I can see why he might think that they're not good run-blockers, but the situation that he surely must see is the fact that you don't need them to block. Especially if you have almost each receiver capable of some sort of RPO-Based action. The thing is RECEIVERS DON'T HAVE TO BLOCK WELL IN TODAY'S GAME OF FOOTBALL. If you have Hasting running bubble screen on a Outside ZR while he's covered up by Williams who is running the RPO slant

Prob is Gus rarely runs a true RPO with Nix. The times that it appears Nix runs it, Nix was called to keep it, then threw it away to avoid being tackled. 

In Gus’ game of football, receivers DO have to block well to play. It’s exactly why Schwartz & Hastings have seen more bench time than field time. 

Sec network just did piece around AU and Schwartz. Schwartz said his last 40 time was recorded before his SR season in high school at 4.27.  He said he feels like he could be in the 4.1 or even 4.0 range now

Why not have your two best WR on the field at the same time?  The same reason you don't occasionally have your two best RBs in the backfield at the same time.

The answer: Gus's Offense

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

ANNNNNNND

No rushing attempts. 3 receptions on 5 targets for 33 yards

We should all know by now that Gus says we're doing this or not doing that but he never does what he says.  

Archived