It's been said before...

TitanTiger

...but there is no argument that was made in favor of redefining marriage to include same-sex pairings that could not be applied to virtually every other kind as well.  If there's nothing special about the sexes of the participants, on what basis does anyone argue that the number of participants matters for instance?  Sure, people will say it would be complicated to administer from a law perspective, but "complicated" has rarely stopped a cultural tidal wave from changing the laws. 

CBS doing its part to normalize the next great thing:  polyamory

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polyamory-relationships-not-just-one-big-orgy-stigma-of-consensual-non-monogamy-cbsn-originals/

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

...but there is no argument that was made in favor of redefining marriage to include same-sex pairings that could not be applied to virtually every other kind as well.  If there's nothing special about the sexes of the participants, on what basis does anyone argue that the number of participants matters for instance?  Sure, people will say it would be complicated to administer from a law perspective, but "complicated" has rarely stopped a cultural tidal wave from changing the laws. 

CBS doing its part to normalize the next great thing:  polyamory

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polyamory-relationships-not-just-one-big-orgy-stigma-of-consensual-non-monogamy-cbsn-originals/

I had a very sharp lady from NY describe an open marriage as: one step, one decision, one minute away from blowing completely up in somebody's face. The couple she was talking had an open marriage arrangement that had the woman seeing 3-4 other men. When the husband "suddenly lost a bunch of weight and started getting social media messages from other women" it was over in an instant. The wife asked for the divorce based there being evidence he had been "contacted" by other women. He walked into the courtroom with real recorded phone calls and online bills and records etc. The judge gave HIM the divorce. and blessed them both out. The woman then asked for alimony...and the judge got up and left the room. 

All joking aside, my friend from NY was right on the money. Look at the Katie Hill mess...

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/10/24/katie-hill-staffer-relationship-house-opens-investigation-nr-vpx.cnn

https://nypost.com/2019/10/25/katie-hill-throuple-partner-morgan-desjardins-alleged-lover-were-in-tv-show/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7609835/Katie-Hill-seen-showing-Nazi-era-tattoo-smoking-BONG-NAKED.html

I'll let you go find the pics..of the bong and the tattoos... 😉

Is throuple really a word?

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Is throuple really a word?

At this point in postmodernism, we're making up new words daily to describe the nutty s*** we want to be the new normal.

Man, my second wife will have an awesome job so I can retire.

and my third wife will be good at cleaning and yardwork.

That way I will have all the time I need to explain #2 and #3 to #1.  😀

JMO but I think a lot of the laws regarding marriage are intended to protect the off-spring and assure that someone is financially and otherwise responsible for them.  

Our lives are meshed together," one of the women said. "Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays are the nights we spend with our extramarital partners. And Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays we spend with our marital partners."

This is some "nutty sh**". Who do these people spend their days with?

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Our lives are meshed together," one of the women said. "Mondays, Thursdays, Saturdays are the nights we spend with our extramarital partners. And Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays we spend with our marital partners."

This is some "nutty sh**". Who do these people spend their days with?

Probably at work mostly keeping their arrangement a secret right now.  In social settings, I'm sure they've crafted a small enclave/feedback loop of affirming supporters and kindred spirits.

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Well, so far, there was that naked pic of her combing the girl's hair...

Her naked, dancing, and smoking a bong...

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Well, so far, there was that naked pic of her combing the girl's hair...

Her naked, dancing, and smoking a bong...

The supposed "throuple" with her husband and the staffer is pretty wild. 

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Who comes up with these new and sick descriptions of people? 

Old toothless middle aged men who are too old to take action, but have very vivid imaginations.
Hopefully too smart to not know this will end badly, but still young enough to want to be THAT GUY....

at least that's what I am hearing.... :big:

On 10/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Who comes up with these new and sick descriptions of people? 

Why is it sick?  Three consenting adults made choices about their lives/sex/etc.  It doesn't affect you. 

Now, Hill is wrong for being in a relationship with a staffer, but that's a whole other matter.

I don't see why people can't have  whatever legal contracts they want to have. I agree with Brad that as long as their contracts don't affect me (this would include via government involvement like entitlement programs) then I don't have a problem with it from a legal or government standpoint.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why is it sick?  Three consenting adults made choices about their lives/sex/etc.  It doesn't affect you. 

It is sick to me. If it is not sick to you that does not bother me. Further,  I do care why it is not sick to you to Brad.

17 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

It is sick to me. If it is not sick to you that does not bother me. Further,  I do care why it is not sick to you to Brad.

Because it ain't my damn business.  They aren't breaking laws by having a three way couple/relationship.  I don't subscribe to some doctrine that everything has to be orthodox and that's the way it is.

Am I personally interested in a relationship like that?  Nope.  I prefer 1:1.  But I also don't find it sick.  It's just another way to live life, akin to people in tiny homes to me.  I wouldn't do it, but more power to them.

A great example: I have a married friend couple that I know for a fact have visited swinger clubs before.  They have two kids and are in one of the most loving and supportive marriages I've ever seen, having been in a relationship for nearly 20 years now.  Their kids are great too.  I don't think their choice to try a swinger's club is anyone's business and I don't find it sick.  We'd be a hell of a lot better off if more marriages were like theirs.

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

A great example: I have a married friend couple that I know for a fact have visited swinger clubs before.  They have two kids and are in one of the most loving and supportive marriages I've ever seen, having been in a relationship for nearly 20 years now.  Their kids are great too.  I don't think their choice to try a swinger's club is anyone's business and I don't find it sick.  We'd be a hell of a lot better off if more marriages were like theirs.

I will re phrase then and say it would be a sick way for me to live. Just not structured like that. What ever people do like that really does not concern me if they are not hurting others. Will say that the your friends are probably an exception. Doubt that the "swinger" types have marriages that survive very well.  

An occasional threesome( as a bachelor,of course) wouldn’t be sick at all. I mean Cinemax style. Actually having an ongoing relationship between the three would be extremely sick ....or maybe weird is the better term. But I’ve been married 21 years, so I missed my chance. I can’t imagine any marriage being able to survive with any element of this happening. But  I do think warren buffet actually has an arrangement like this. 

I must also clarify, this would have only happened with two women. Two men and a woman wouldn’t work. That’s a different kind of sick.  I’m remembering the Sienfeld episode where George ask a woman he was dating to participate in a three way and she brought another man. Lol. 

I see the congresswoman has resigned and I think it’s best she did. 

23 minutes ago, alexava said:

I see the congresswoman has resigned and I think it’s best she did. 

The only reason she should have resigned is because of ethics reasons due to an inappropriate affair with a subordinate.  Not because she was in a three way relationship.

I'm a live and let live person. As long as it isn't ethically challenged (dating your employee, etc.) or legally out of bounds (children, participating in non-consensual sex-- rape, etc.) then I'm generally ok with it as it doesn't effect my life or my marriage. I have watched the Sister Wives show on TLC ever since it came out, mostly with a fascination of a lifestyle I wouldn't be interested in living, but wanting to better understand why it might appeal to others.  

7 minutes ago, channonc said:

I'm a live and let live person. As long as it isn't ethically challenged (dating your employee, etc.) or legally out of bounds (children, participating in non-consensual sex-- rape, etc.) then I'm generally ok with it as it doesn't effect my life or my marriage. I have watched the Sister Wives show on TLC ever since it came out, mostly with a fascination of a lifestyle I wouldn't be interested in living, but wanting to better understand why it might appeal to others.  

The thing is, it does affect your life eventually.  Because the second we make something legal in this country, we bring into it all sorts of other entitlements extracted from private citizens, compelling them to participate in events, ceremonies and such.  I know that's always been the tagline - "how does _____ marriage affect you?", but then we see time and again that no one is content to have their newfound official marital status and to interact and do business with those who think it's hunky-dory.  They want you to come cater their wedding reception, make custom items celebrating it, utilize your time and artistic talents to memorialize it, use your spaces to hold the events and so on.  

And that's why people resist.  Yes, it's because we don't think marriage is just "anything you want it to be," but it's also because experience tells us that the way this plays out is never, "live and let live."  It will be pitched that way to gain acceptance, then weaponized against anyone who dissents once it's gained legal traction.

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

The only reason she should have resigned is because of ethics reasons due to an inappropriate affair with a subordinate.  Not because she was in a three way relationship.

Yeah, I'd have just tried to vote her out when she ran for reelection.

Archived