Zeek

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should go without saying but a coaching change, however unlikely, would drastically impact the number of transfers/early departures/recruits/etc. for next season.

Realistically, I think we still beat Georgia even with their defense making us look horrible again. That puts Gus at (9-3) with a true freshman quarterback and losses to the #1, #2, and #6 teams in the country. I hate it but that won't get anyone fired regardless of their history. Two of the teams we lose to (Alabama and LSU) will be in the playoffs and the other (Florida) will likely be in the SECCG.

Then, we come into next season and Gus likely rips off a (5-0) start heading into an away game at Georgia. Without Fromm I think we legitimately have a chance to beat the Dawgs at their own trailer park. Texas A&M will be dependent on if Kellen Mond returns or not and how much our defense drops off (still I think we win at home against them). After that there is a bye and a trip to Miss State where we should mop the floor other than struggling to contain their quarterback. Next up are easy wins against Arkansas and UMass.

I'm feeling extremely pessimistic right now but I still see a relatively easy (10-0) start to next season heading into our matchups with LSU and Alabama.

This actually scares me because it means we could have Gus until my not yet conceived child graduates high school.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This should go without saying but a coaching change, however unlikely, would drastically impact the number of transfers/early departures/recruits/etc. for next season.

Realistically, I think we still beat Georgia even with their defense making us look horrible again. That puts Gus at (9-3) with a true freshman quarterback and losses to the #1, #2, and #6 teams in the country. I hate it but that won't get anyone fired regardless of their history. Two of the teams we lose to (Alabama and LSU) will be in the playoffs and the other (Florida) will likely be in the SECCG.

Then, we come into next season and Gus likely rips off a (5-0) start heading into an away game at Georgia. Without Fromm I think we legitimately have a chance to beat the Dawgs at their own trailer park. Texas A&M will be dependent on if Kellen Mond returns or not and how much our defense drops off (still I think we win at home against them). After that there is a bye and a trip to Miss State where we should mop the floor other than struggling to contain their quarterback. Next up are easy wins against Arkansas and UMass.

I'm feeling extremely pessimistic right now but I still see a relatively easy (10-0) start to next season heading into our matchups with LSU and Alabama.

This actually scares me because it means we could have Gus until my not yet conceived child graduates high school.

My biggest worry is that Joey transfers, Bo gets injured during the season and we have not reliable backup QB on the roster. Add that we will have a entirely new OL and lose 2-3 of our DL stars. Could be the making of a tough season for 2020.

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

So I agree with you but I’ll also say this...in years where we think Gus or Auburn will be good...well, you know what usually happens...

1 minute ago, PUB78 said:

My biggest worry is that Joey transfers, Bo gets injured during the season and we have not reliable backup QB on the roster. Add that we will have a entirely new OL and lose 2-3 of our DL stars. Could be the making of a tough season for 2020.

FWIW we could do worse than Cord Sandberg. Not saying I want the season in his hands but the guy seems somewhat serviceable at the very least. Not very big on the QB we have coming in next year but if we keep the kid we have for the following recruiting class we'll have a ridiculous passing threat.

We need Gus gone if we ever want to be better than 3rd-4th in the SEC. We haven't ever made the College Football Playoff despite them routinely accepting multiple SEC teams. That should be alarming.

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I know you are saying this in an exasperated tone, but that post made me excited for next season.  :happydance:  And I think Mond will return.

15 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

So I agree with you but I’ll also say this...in years where we think Gus or Auburn will be good...well, you know what usually happens...

True, but if he screws up that schedule then he should have to pay back half his contract

I enjoyed reading your well thought out post. 2020 will be a transition year in many ways for this football team. Obviously we will have a very inexperienced O-line which is never good in the SEC. Our D-line will also be rebuilding, so up front we may struggle. Hopefully our QB will learn from his inaugural season and become more consistent. The one area that will not change much is coaching, especially the head man. I strongly feel that without a 2013-like season result, 2020 will be Gus' last at AU. Where we go from there, who knows??????

I'm not impressed with Nix. Our o-line will be worse. Our DL - the strongest part of our team - will be less. We still will likely be running a Malzahn offense. 

A&M can't stay underwhelming forever the way they're recruiting. I'm going to have to see us beat UGA before I buy this "they're trending down" talk. LSU is loaded with talent. Our schedule is favorable, but I see 8 wins maximum. 

14 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I'm not impressed with Nix. Our o-line will be worse. Our DL - the strongest part of our team - will be less. We still will likely be running a Malzahn offense. 

A&M can't stay underwhelming forever the way they're recruiting. I'm going to have to see us beat UGA before I buy this "they're trending down" talk. LSU is loaded with talent. Our schedule is favorable, but I see 8 wins maximum. 

I am, but he needs to be put in better positions to succeed.

Not necessarily, younger doesn't always mean worse and they have essentially 5 tune up games to 'gel'.

Agreed about the DL but the LB and Secondary should improve enough to have a competent defense.

Well yeah, since Gus will likely be the coach we'll still be running his offense.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:50 PM, Win4AU said:

Texas A&M should be better with the recruiting Jimbos done and it’s at home 

Its at Auburn

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not necessarily, younger doesn't always mean worse and they have essentially 5 tune up games to 'gel'.

You might want to dig up Stat Tigers posts from recent years where he gives stats correlating number of starts by the O linemen with number of wins, etc. I do not recall the specifics but the bottom line was: low number of previous starts usually equates to poor offensive performance against the usual SEC gauntlet. At least we don't play Florida right?

Just now, ChltteTiger said:

You might want to dig up Stat Tigers posts from recent years where he gives stats correlating number of starts by the O linemen with number of wins, etc. I do not recall the specifics but the bottom line was: low number of previous starts usually equates to poor offensive performance against the usual SEC gauntlet. At least we don't play Florida right?

True. But honestly this is the worst group of 5 seniors I've ever seen. Outside of Tega most of these guys will be contemplating the XFL in the next year or two.

On 10/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, Zeek said:

A few posters here, who are typically informed to some degree, seem to believe that seniority has be a big reason why others aren’t starting FWIW

Yet another reason to suspect Gus is clueless.

2 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

If we look bad to close out this year (lose to UGA and Bama) then with all the losses on both lines I do not expect us to be as highly ranked preseason in 2020 as we were this year. Maybe not make the Top 25.

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

If we look bad to close out this year (lose to UGA and Bama) then with all the losses on both lines I do not expect us to be as highly ranked preseason in 2020 as we were this year. Maybe not make the Top 25.

You are definitely right about that. I just think with that schedule the way it potentially sets up most Auburn folk will be expecting good things early in the year. 

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Wow, that is an easier schedule. Wish we had these players with that schedule. But we won’t. 

We could win our current schedule with our current players if they weren't handcuffed by ineptness. 

6133AC6C-BFC8-484E-8E60-55C2167DE8F4.jpeg

3095AEAC-B5DD-41B1-889A-46F37BD56E28.jpeg

My brief, no research, uneducated glimpse at what next year’s lineup could look like.

One thing I noticed is that while a lot of the OL will be new to starting they’re mostly redshirt Juniors.

This obviously doesn’t take into consideration any true freshmen we might have. I don’t see anywhere a true freshman would start currently. Maybe on the defensive line or if there’s an absolute monster on the OL but I think Grimes has showed us his preference for seniority. 

7 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Its at Auburn

Yep.  It’s at home.  Except for 2018 the visitors have been victorious and that team will be 3/4  Jimbo recruits by then

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Just FYI, I laugh reacted because of this. 😂

Huge question marks at o-line and d-line and that's where the games are won. Our o-line was decimated by Florida and LSU and those are our two big losses. It could be worse next year. I'd expect to see a defense more like the one we had maybe 3 years ago. Solid but it won't keep us in these games where we're going 3 and out constantly.

Definitely a more favorable schedule though!

52 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Personnel

Agreed, I noticed most are redshirt juniors so they’re not young bucks. 

Archived