It's Not Either Or....IT'S BOTH.

IronMan70

I’d say yes and no. Playcalling has been better this year. Unfortunately we just have player weaknesses that even the best play calling can’t overcome. Bo’s performance has been up and down. He is not the worst starter in the SEC, but he’s far from the best. I by no means think he should be pulled. I still believe he has a ton of potential and will finish his time at Auburn as one of the best QBs in our history. Benching him will only slow his progression and potentially destroy his confidence. Still, he’s not ready for what he’s being asked to do. He’s not ready for the offense to be on his back. The games where we’ve run the ball well, he’s performed very well. The games where we haven’t and our success was dependent solely on his arm, he’s performed poorly. What it comes down to is we’ve got to run the football more efficiently, and we unfortunately can’t do that because our offensive line is so terrible. For me, I’m only blaming Gus for one thing right now, and that one thing is the primary reason we are struggling offensively right now. Grimes should have been let go in the offseason last year. 

So, I think you can kind of blame Gus, but I think those calling for his head are nuts. There are over 120 teams in FBS. Gus would still probably be top 15 and would definitely be top 25 on the list of coaches for those programs. The folks that want him gone are just sour grapes because Bama is doing better. They need to get over themselves and be happy we aren’t Tennessee, who ran off a Malzahn level quality coach for 10+ years of terrible coaches. We could be Arkansas. We could be Texas A&M who has every advantage that we don’t (an easy cross division game every year, no competition in state recruiting, no insane rivalries fueling fan impatience) and still can’t contend for the SECW. We could be USC or Notre Dame, some of the more stories programs around that are nowhere near to playoff caliber teams. The point is that there are coaches out there better than Malzahn, but they are few and far between. Many of them are unobtainable because they are already established at top notch programs elsewhere. Most of them are also jerks that would never fit with the Auburn culture. So, if we replace Malzahn, it will likely be with someone of equal or lower quality.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I’d say yes and no. Playcalling has been better this year. Unfortunately we just have player weaknesses that even the best play calling can’t overcome. Bo’s performance has been up and down. He is not the worst starter in the SEC, but he’s far from the best. I by no means think he should be pulled. I still believe he has a ton of potential and will finish his time at Auburn as one of the best QBs in our history. Benching him will only slow his progression and potentially destroy his confidence. Still, he’s not ready for what he’s being asked to do. He’s not ready for the offense to be on his back. The games where we’ve run the ball well, he’s performed very well. The games where we haven’t and our success was dependent solely on his arm, he’s performed poorly. What it comes down to is we’ve got to run the football more efficiently, and we unfortunately can’t do that because our offensive line is so terrible. For me, I’m only blaming Gus for one thing right now, and that one thing is the primary reason we are struggling offensively right now. Grimes should have been let go in the offseason last year. 

So, I think you can kind of blame Gus, but I think those calling for his head are nuts. There are over 120 teams in FBS. Gus would still probably be top 15 and would definitely be top 25 on the list of coaches for those programs. The folks that want him gone are just sour grapes because Bama is doing better. They need to get over themselves and be happy we aren’t Tennessee, who ran off a Malzahn level quality coach for 10+ years of terrible coaches. We could be Arkansas. We could be Texas A&M who has every advantage that we don’t (an easy cross division game every year, no competition in state recruiting, no insane rivalries fueling fan impatience) and still can’t contend for the SECW. We could be USC or Notre Dame, some of the more stories programs around that are nowhere near to playoff caliber teams. The point is that there are coaches out there better than Malzahn, but they are few and far between. Many of them are unobtainable because they are already established at top notch programs elsewhere. Most of them are also jerks that would never fit with the Auburn culture. So, if we replace Malzahn, it will likely be with someone of equal or lower quality.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Please Gus...may I have anotha underachieving season? 

Why sure son, of course you can...here you go now. Run along...

I understand the need for Nix to take his lumps and grow but twice this season the moment has been too big.  Gus finally pulled the trigger on center and put Brahms in.  Will it be an improvement?  We will see.  I’m not saying make Gatewood qb1 but when your Qb is 8/23 and missing what should be easy throws he has to sit and calm down.  Gatewood (I hope) can’t be worse.  It’s whats best for the “team” not Bo’s feelings.

So is next year’s excuse is he’s only a 20   year old sophomore?

the freshman excuse is done. This far in the season there aren’t anymore freshman. It’s all coaching from now on.

wonder what Patrick Nix is telling his son.

1 minute ago, casatiger said:

It is on one:  Gus.   Buck stops with him.  

He has put together an amazing defense though. Possibly best in the country.

1 minute ago, Mims44 said:

Steele and company, have put together an amazing defense!

4 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Steele and company, have put together an amazing defense!

Hmmm

9 minutes ago, casatiger said:

It is on one:  Gus.   Buck stops with him.  

Is Gus not the HC of Steele and that amazing defense?

22 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Hmmm

Is Gus not the HC of Steele and that amazing defense?

I get your point, but we all know Gus doesn't bother the defense.  He trust Kevin and his staff, wish he would trust his offensive staff and let them coach as well. But first, he needs to let his pride go and hire an OC that he will let do the job (including making staff change, if he so desired).

6 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

But first, he needs to let his pride go and hire an OC that he will let do the job

You must have missed the end of last year and the bowl game.  All rejoiced as Gus declared himself the OC and he will be the play caller.  He will be back in his element that he had missed for so long.  All will rest on Gus and in Gus we trust.  He isn’t going to back track after just a half a season.

Seriously, he has tried to let the offense be run by another, he just can’t do it and we shouldn’t believe he will change.  This year proved that.  We still have 4 games left and a bowl.  Let’s see if Gus can pull the team back together for a good finish, but we shouldn’t expect any moment of clarity from our offensive genius. 

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's just hyperbolic stupidity. Do you not remember Moseley, JJ, Frasier, Trotter, et.al.

BTW, whats the common denominator?

Actually JJ was pretty decent his Freshman year playing backup. Started and won the game. Against aArkansas. But after one year under Gus it was all over for him. Just saying 

JJ’s stats for that game

12 for 16   243 yds   2 TDs  0 INT.

show me one game where Bo can match that True freshman record of JJ

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Please Gus...may I have anotha underachieving season? 

Why sure son, of course you can...here you go now. Run along...

I was going to go at that post with some facts...but I like your response better...

8 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I was going to go at that post with some facts...but I like your response better...

I gave up on facts with some of these folks a long time ago. A couple of posters on here do a great job of breaking things down and showing how Gus stinks and they still rail against it. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Do you have a solution? Just a solution. We are full of rationale...

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Actually JJ was pretty decent his Freshman year playing backup. Started and won the game. Against aArkansas. But after one year under Gus it was all over for him. Just saying 

JJ’s stats for that game

2019 Miss St

Passing 16 of 21 335 yds 2 TDs 0 Int.

Rushing 7 carries for 56 yds and 1 TD

Not taking a position in the argument, just answering the question. 

7 hours ago, Mims44 said:

We hired this guy to coach the "O", and he is the OC, nothing, nil, no argument, he is calling the plays.  This is in stone.  (although it has looked a lot like other AU offenses)

We have probably the best tackling team in the country and the best DL, how are we this up-sidedown.  We cannot score on offense. 

44 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Ineptitude. Look it up. You probably already know the definition.

Saw it Saturday when we were on offense.  I dont believe we should blame 18 year olds continually put in positions to fail.  

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, Win4AU said:

I understand the need for Nix to take his lumps and grow but twice this season the moment has been too big.  Gus finally pulled the trigger on center and put Brahms in.  Will it be an improvement?  We will see.  I’m not saying make Gatewood qb1 but when your Qb is 8/23 and missing what should be easy throws he has to sit and calm down.  Gatewood (I hope) can’t be worse.  It’s whats best for the “team” not Bo’s feelings.

There is a lot of logic in your post. Even on just the current skill set on short patterns with WRs wide open.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:40 AM, WalkingCarpet said:

You do know Jeremy Johnson was quarterback a whole four years ago. 

JJ certainly has a lot to say these days on Facebook. His comments after losses make it seem like he puts his lack luster career at AU all on Gus and the offensive staff and not the fact that he just wasn't a good QB. I'm critical of Gus for sure but somebody needs to tell JJ he just wasn't good! Dude couldn't read coverages to save his life. Gus didn't help him much if you're not good....you're not good. 

He made a post yesterday saying that Joey was made  say "that B.S" about being "all in". His favorite statement to make has been "and everybody said it was me" "i was the problem or issue?"

Me and titan talked about it a little while ago but JJ wasn't that bad. He wasn't good but he's not close to being a worst QB ever. Besides that Louisville game he always threw as many td's as int. He had a high completion rate.

If anything he just trusted his arm too much and would try to zip things in. Hell IMO he's one of the best deep throwers we've had.

Frazier and Mosley they were guys that you just didn't know if they could really throw a forward pass.

That's my opinion anyway but I do have the game stats to back it up

On 10/27/2019 at 2:47 PM, TigerOne said:

So is next year’s excuse is he’s only a 20   year old sophomore?

the freshman excuse is done. This far in the season there aren’t anymore freshman. It’s all coaching from now on.

wonder what Patrick Nix is telling his son.

Next season excuses will be that we have a new young OL and replacing NFL talent on defense. 

On 10/26/2019 at 9:30 PM, IronMan70 said:

But honestly I don't see how he can keep losing games year after year he should have never lost in the first place and remain.

I agree with a lot of your post. However, I don't agree that we've lost games this year that we never should have lost. It would have been great to go into Baton Rouge and beat the #1 team in the nation at their place, but we were a double-digit underdog. That's not a game we should have won. Much the same can be said about Gainesville. We were in a position to win both of those game and that makes it frustrating but those aren't games we "shouldn't have lost".

Now, MSU and Tennessee last year, those are games we shouldn't have lost.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:48 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

JJ’s stats for that game

Nix not only matched it, he exceeded it by quite a bit

Bo Nix vs. Mississippi State, 2019

Passing: 16-21, 335 yards, 2 TD's  0 int.

Rushing: 7 for 56 yards, 1 TD

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I agree with a lot of your post. However, I don't agree that we've lost games this year that we never should have lost. It would have been great to go into Baton Rouge and beat the #1 team in the nation at their place, but we were a double-digit underdog. That's not a game we should have won. Much the same can be said about Gainesville. We were in a position to win both of those game and that makes it frustrating but those aren't games we "shouldn't have lost".

Now, MSU and Tennessee last year, those are games we shouldn't have lost.

I hear you Mikey, maybe I need to define it a little better. I wasn't talking about the pregame rankings or the point spread, imo those are just opinions. By "games we shouldn't have lost" I was referring to what happened on the field when the games were played. I came away from both the Fla and LSU games with the firm conviction that we were the better team and shouldn't have lost. The reasons for the 2 losses are numerous.

On MSU and Tenn, yes we had a much better team going in and should have won those too.

Archived