New Approach to Coach Evaluation

AUght2win

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Because we lost the games we were supposed to lose.  

There are no games you are supposed to lose. We should have the ability to win them all. If we can look at the schedule and say that we can't beat Florida, LSU, Georgia, and bama, then the head coach obviously isn't doing a very good job of having the team prepared to play at the highest level of competition. That points to a need to make a coaching change. Expecting an undefeated season every year is unreasonable. Expecting the team to be capable of beating each team on the schedule individually is not unreasonable, that is Malzahn's job. 

30 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

I asked this in another thread, but honestly how many of our offensive coaches would be hired at another D1 school? 

Especially at receiver. Have you seen their route running on the occasion that you get a top down view on TV?  Lazy, lackadaisical, undisciplined, and unaware.  Cannella couldn't identify a 90 degree angle if he ran into a wall. I'll give Schwarz credit; he runs crisp routes, but he's the only one.

5 hours ago, TigerEyez13 said:

Another aspect to consider is that next year will be a rebuilding year, regardless of who is the coach. The seniors on offensive line will be gone. Our spectacular defensive front will be gone. Just another twig on the fire.

The cautionary tale is Tennessee. Be careful of over-reaching. Who are are you going to get as a replacement?

But Tennessee is another example of waiting until things bottomed out, then hiring someone to fix it.

4 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m not sure UGA is the best example to use. Smart has won the same amount of Nattys as Richt and they are not the favorite this year as well. Best that can be said is at least they have tried to better themselves, nothing wrong with that. 

He is at least getting them to heights Richt didn't. He has improved their yearly performance and perception, even if he still hasn't won it all yet.

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Only thing I'm scared of is losing Steele and this type of defense. It's a joy to watch.

I would be totally fine with giving Steele a year at the helm to see what he can do.

5 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Yeah.  Great idea.  Get rid of Gus for losing the games we said he was going to lose at the beginning of the year. 

It's year 7. Why should we count on losing any games in the preseason? You're helping make my case.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

He is at least getting them to heights Richt didn't. He has improved their yearly performance and perception, even if he still hasn't won it all yet.

I mean, I would take breaking the back-to-back 10 win season curse as a sign of definite improvement.  Really shocked that didn't break this decade.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

We’ll just saying Kirby is in year 4 and hasn’t accomplished the job yet, not sure what different heights you are referring to. Richt won a bunch of games, a bunch of East titles and a couple league titles but never brought them the big one. Thus far, Kirby is literally on the exact same track. Different coach, same results so far... and I don’t see a Natty for Kirby anytime soon. As far as Kirby improving their yearly performance and perception as you stated, I dunno. I’m not sure how you quantify that other than personal opinion. Wins and results are very similar so far. The biggest thing to me is that at least the UGA fanbase and ptb weren’t satisfied with the results under Richt and at least have tried to change it up. That I can respect. 

I hear Tom Herman and Lincoln Riley are available...if he loses to Auburn, we could probably get Kirby Smart too...

6 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Play calling, bad QB play, and way too many false starts doomed this team. You can say that Bo’s performance isn’t Gus’ fault and even say the false starts aren’t either. Maybe not directly. But in what world does an all senior offensive line with plenty of experience have a performance like that? Guess what, Gus built that line. Everything that happened on offense yesterday was built by that man. Yes he DOES deserve blame. He gets credit for wins and he deserves blame for losses just the same.

Yep! How much longer does the PTB stand for this?  

6 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I hear Tom Herman and Lincoln Riley are available...if he loses to Auburn, we could probably get Kirby Smart too...

I would take KS over Gus. We had that chance but know how that turned out.:-\

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's not who but how we lose. We have a championship level defense but our offense is terrible with zero direction. It's the definition of a rudderless ship. Nothing has changed in 5 years and it won't if we continue spinning our tires with Gus. We might as well pull a LSU and get rid of Gus like they did Miles. JMO

To clarify upon your maritime analogy:  AU is not rudderless.  We do have a rudder -- it just happens to be stuck hard over on the starboard side causing the ship to circle around ... endlessly, forever & ever.  And AU has a Capt Queeg in charge that doesn't see the problem.   Sometimes, mutiny is the only option left.  

Just now, AUloggerhead said:

To clarify upon your maritime analogy:  AU is not rudderless.  We do have a rudder -- it just happens to be stuck hard over on the starboard side causing the ship to circle around ... endlessly, forever & ever.  And AU has a Capt Queeg in charge that doesn't see the problem.   Sometimes, mutiny is the only option left.  

I meant rudderless as in each week our offense is going in a completely new direction without any identity or cohesion.

4 hours ago, cctiger said:

I would take KS over Gus. We had that chance but know how that turned out.:-\

KS has done a great job as our DC.  The only HC experience on his resume is at Baylor 1999-2002...9-36 record.  That was long ago and I'm sure he's learned much through the years.  He would be the logical choice as an interim HC to get to the end of the season.  After that...we're probably looking at younger coaches who've had more success.

3 minutes ago, afblue said:

KS has done a great job as our DC.  The only HC experience on his resume is at Baylor 1999-2002...9-36 record.  That was long ago and I'm sure he's learned much through the years.  He would be the logical choice as an interim HC to get to the end of the season.  After that...we're probably looking at younger coaches who've had more success.

CCTiger meant Kirby Smart, but I agree that if a replacement were to be made midseason, Coach Steele is the logical interim for many reasons. 

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

CCTiger meant Kirby Smart, but I agree that if a replacement were to be made midseason, Coach Steele is the logical interim for many reasons. 

Thanks Tora.  My mistake.

2 minutes ago, afblue said:

Thanks Tora.  My mistake.

No worries--mistake, anyone's!...They're both hot topics these days and heavily confused in the world of initials. Thank YOU for repping and serving all of us!

Another reason Gus may get the boot is that we want to maximize Bo's and the young guys' talent. Seth is a sophomore, DJ is a TF, Schwartz is a soph, Boobie is a Soph. Get a true offensive coach, not a schemer, to come in and develop them.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:51 AM, nixtosanders94 said:

In year 7 there really shouldn’t be any games we’re supposed to lose. He’s had 7 years to build a program that can consistently compete with everyone and he hasn’t done it. It took Coach O 2 years to build LSU back...we’ve given  Gus 7.  Its hard to believe so many miss this point. Its not about the record, its about if Gus can move us past this perennially disappointing cycle of poor offensive performances in big games and clearly he cannot.

This isn't taking up for GM but seriously? I agree on the poor offensive showings but This team is copetitive. Losing to UF and LSU isn't the end of the world if they continue to prove they are the best in the SEC. Losing to UGA this year would be the one that pushes me over the edge. It is a very winnable game and at home. The uat game will come down to what the SEC needs to happen. If uat loses to LSU we will beat them. If they roll in undefeated it will wind up like the LSU game. 

On 10/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, bigbird said:

It's not who but how we lose. We have a championship level defense but our offense is terrible with zero direction. It's the definition of a rudderless ship. Nothing has changed in 5 years and it won't if we continue spinning our tires with Gus. We might as well pull a LSU and get rid of Gus like they did Miles. JMO

I wish we could but who on that offensive staff could possibly step in as OC? Porter?

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

I wish we could but who on that offensive staff could possibly step in as OC? Porter?

I'd be interested in seeing what a unshackled Dilly could do calling his plays. Youth is not as big a hindrance as it once was.

On 10/27/2019 at 9:22 AM, Gowebb11 said:

Gus is now 6-14 vs LSU, UGA, and UAT. I’m not seeking perfection, but a strong directional improvement is very necessary. We can pay a lot of coaches to compete well with Ole Miss and Arkansas. 

Who is any better against those 3 and who are you going to get that you can guarantee will be better. I have been watching several that have been mentioned over the last couple of years and I can promise you that I am thankful that we didn’t run Gus off and bring in any one of the majority of those mentioned.

Archived