Jump to content


Null



New Approach to Coach Evaluation


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, provibe said:

Who is any better against those 3 and who are you going to get that you can guarantee will be better. I have been watching several that have been mentioned over the last couple of years and I can promise you that I am thankful that we didn’t run Gus off and bring in any one of the majority of those mentioned.

You can guarantee anything even if you had a proven coach here. Jimbo Fisher was a national championship coach but is struggling here even with valuable resources. Coach O has a porous coaching history, yet has LSU in the forefront. That is not a reason to stay dormant .

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not who but how we lose. We have a championship level defense but our offense is terrible with zero direction. It's the definition of a rudderless ship. Nothing has changed in 5 years and it won'

In year 7 there really shouldn’t be any games we’re supposed to lose. He’s had 7 years to build a program that can consistently compete with everyone and he hasn’t done it. It took Coach O 2 years to

The age old philosophy is that a coach stays until he bottoms out. Only when things are indisputably bad, and a need for change is obvious, do changes seem to occur. But I think this may be the wrong

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

This isn't taking up for GM but seriously? I agree on the poor offensive showings but This team is copetitive. Losing to UF and LSU isn't the end of the world if they continue to prove they are the best in the SEC. Losing to UGA this year would be the one that pushes me over the edge. It is a very winnable game and at home. The uat game will come down to what the SEC needs to happen. If uat loses to LSU we will beat them. If they roll in undefeated it will wind up like the LSU game. 

never said they weren’t competitive friend

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, provibe said:

Who is any better against those 3 and who are you going to get that you can guarantee will be better. I have been watching several that have been mentioned over the last couple of years and I can promise you that I am thankful that we didn’t run Gus off and bring in any one of the majority of those mentioned.

I’m not a ‘fire the coach’ type of guy after every defeat. But the way Gus is losing and failing to develop QBs at some point has to be addressed. I don’t expect to win 60 or 70% of our games vs our 3 big rivals, but I do expect more than 30%. We are perfectly capable of winning 9 or 10 games with this team, especially playing at home. I hope like heck we do and retain our coach. But another 8-4 is probably going to get Gus fired. Regarding coaching searches, they are always a risk. There are no guarantees. We are in a similar place that LSU and UGA were with Miles and Richt; a good man, winning consistently, and running a clean program. But they knew there was more to be had and made a move. It has worked out okay for them both and it will for us if we go that route. Hopefully we beat UGA and Bama and don't have to. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m not a ‘fire the coach’ type of guy after every defeat. But the way Gus is losing and failing to develop QBs at some point has to be addressed. I don’t expect to win 60 or 70% of our games vs our 3 big rivals, but I do expect more than 30%. We are perfectly capable of winning 9 or 10 games with this team, especially playing at home. I hope like heck we do and retain our coach. But another 8-4 is probably going to get Gus fired. Regarding coaching searches, they are always a risk. There are no guarantees. We are in a similar place that LSU and UGA were with Miles and Richt; a good man, winning consistently, and running a clean program. But they knew there was more to be had and made a move. It has worked out okay for them both and it will for us if we go that route. Hopefully we beat UGA and Bama and don't have to. 

I get as frustrated as most everyone else. I have also seen the list of coaches some have wanted Auburn to hire, Chad Morris, Chip Kelly, Patterson, the coach at Purdue, Jimbo, Petrine, Urban, and I wonder just how much better any of them or anyone else would actually be facing our schedule every year. Yeah, some might be better coaching, but what about recruiting and would any retain our defensive coaches and what kind of trouble would some of them get us in! A lot of if’s and we could be a lot worse off than we are now!!

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, provibe said:

I get as frustrated as most everyone else. I have also seen the list of coaches some have wanted Auburn to hire, Chad Morris, Chip Kelly, Patterson, the coach at Purdue, Jimbo, Petrine, Urban, and I wonder just how much better any of them or anyone else would actually be facing our schedule every year. Yeah, some might be better coaching, but what about recruiting and would any retain our defensive coaches and what kind of trouble would some of them get us in! A lot of if’s and we could be a lot worse off than we are now!!

I agree about the list of coaches who were on everyone’s hot list, and that things can be worse. Change always comes with risk. But the flip side of that coin is that things can be better. Sometimes better than we ever imagined. I remember when Clemson had fired Tommy Bowden. The man was running a clean program and winning 8-9 games a year. Clemson got ripped by the media, especially the talking heads at ESPN. After all, who did they think they were to be so high and mighty. They should be grateful for winning records and going to bowls. But they had confidence in their program and had a vision for something much bigger. Thank God they didn't let fear or criticism stop them. Same story at LSU. They got shredded for firing a coach as successful as Miles. And now they are almost a lock to get to the playoffs, and may have a Heisman winner. UGA seems to have moved forward without Richt. Sometimes you need to make a change because things have bottomed out. Other times change is need because things have plateaued. Regarding recruiting and defensive coaches, I remember the hand wringing over firing Chizik, because it meant losing super recruiters Trooper Taylor and Curtis Luper. We’ve done fine without them. 

All that said, I reiterate that I prefer a strong finish to the season with 9-11 wins and retaining Gus. But that decision will be made by people with a lot more power and money than I have. All you and I can do is wait and see. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We are lucky we haven't bottomed out like in the Chiz and Tubs eras forcing the coaching change. We have reached our ceiling with Gus and that in itself should make us an attractive landing spot for a coach looking to take control of an SEC power.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We are lucky we haven't bottomed out like in the Chiz and Tubs eras forcing the coaching change. We have reached our ceiling with Gus and that in itself should make us an attractive landing spot for a coach looking to take control of an SEC power.

We'd likely have the most desirable job opening in the country in December. And we're one of the most desirable jobs in the country in any given season. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...