Bo Nix: 'Obviously not my best'

aubiefifty

Bo Nix: 'Obviously not my best'

ByJason Caldwell

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana—Freshman DJ Williams broke off runs of 70 and 41 yards in Saturday’s 23-20 loss at LSU, but the other 31 carries went for a total of just 19 yards. With the inability to sustain the running game, the pressure fell on fellow true freshman quarterback Bo Nix and the Auburn passing game to get the job done and it wasn’t to be.

Completing just 15-35 passes for 157 yards and one touchdown with one interception, Nix and Auburn faced 11 third downs of eight yards or longer and nine were 10 yards or more.

Too many of those situations made for a day that Nix said was a tough one for him and the Auburn offense.

“Obviously not my best,” Nix said. “I made a few decent throws, made a few third-down conversions. I missed throws I usually make. That's what's frustrating.”

Even with the issues Auburn had its chances, kicking a pair of field goals inside the red zone and throwing an interception late in the first half taking a shot at a big play. Nix said this one isn’t about calling plays or anything else, but it was all about a lack of execution.

“We had a great plan,” Nix said. “The coaches had a great plan for us. Just there in the middle, we didn’t execute well enough. We moved the ball a little bit and then we’d shoot ourselves in the foot and get a penalty and be back behind the chains again. I felt like that was continuous and something that we did all day. I mean, we showed some good signs.

“We had some really good plays. Like I said, we just shot ourselves in the foot. Defense played out of their minds again. It’s frustrating that, as a leader, as the quarterback, I feel like we should help them out a little bit more. That might be the most frustrating thing. They’re doing their job and we just haven’t done ours.”

Now with a pair of losses and the opportunity for a berth in the SEC Championship Game all but done, Nix said it was frustrating to see yet another strong defensive effort not work out as a victory for Auburn because of offensive issues.

“We never quit,” Nix said. “We’re going to fight until the last whistle. Our defense—jeez, they just keep on playing and keep on playing and keep on playing, no matter what position they’re in. They’ll just keep holding, and worst-case-scenario hold them to a field goal or something.

“It’s just amazing how hard they play, with the effort. On offense, we showed some good signs. We did some good things. Like I said, the two losses, we’ve killed ourselves. It’s not so much the defense, even though both defenses were really good. LSU’s was really good. We had a good plan for them. We just didn’t execute.”

">247Sports

GUS MALZAHN HAS NEVER ONCE RECRUITED AND DEVELOPED A HIGH SCHOOL QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

GUS MALZAHN HAS NEVER ONCE RECRUITED AND DEVELOPED A HIGH SCHOOL QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is true. Sean White was good but he was actually coached up before he got here. Gus didn’t improve him any. You have to have it before you get here.

Loved Bo's post LSU game interview comment that Auburn will now likely get "kicked to the curb because we're Auburn". Thats a young man steeped in 1972, 1983, 2004, 11 undefeated seasons = 2 natl titles. Refreshing to see though that after losing on road to new #1 LSU by 3 and in Gainesville to new #6 while beating new #7 Oregon at neutral site, we dropped a whopping 2 spots from #9 to 11. Maybe the bias (Al.com and Saturday Down South call it conspiracy theory) is making way for reason? Committee meets in November for 1st poll that counts. War Wagle Bo, punk Ole Siss!

Bo´s completions-attempts in our big games this year, the ones we really needed to have any kind of shot at a championship.

• Oregon: 13-31
  • Florida: 11-27
  • LSU: 15-35

And a lot of those attempts were short passes that normally have a high completion percentage.

IMO, Bo was not ready, he should have been redshirted. I know hindsight is 20/20. I´m not bashing Bo. It´s on not on Bo, it´s on Gus for not showing better judgement.

Bo has the potential to be a great QB. But he simply is not ready, he can´t even complete the short passes. And with Gus´ track record of QB development, I have little hope Bo will get better.

Just my thoughts.  Bo was put in bad situations all night.  Bad snaps, false starts, 3rd and long most of the time.  Stupid penalties and non-existent intentional grounding.  I think Bo had a bad night and missed on passes that he should have hit.  But to say that Bo was the problem is ignoring a whole lot of other crap.  The running game, sans a few plays, was crap and I blame Gus for continuing to call the plays that weren't working.  We had 10 out of 15 drives with greater than 3rd and 10 putting Bo in bad situations, obvious passing downs.

1st drive:  Run 1st play, 2nd & Third and 8, Punt… on Bo

2nd drive:  3rd and goal on 12 from false start… Field goal

3rd drive:  1st down run, 2nd down run, false start 3rd and 11, Punt

4th drive:  1st down, intentional grounding that wasn’t, 2nd and 21, 3rd and 14, punt

5th drive:  Incomplete pass, false start, 2nd and 15, Run for loss, 3rd and 16, punt

6th drive:  Touchdown

7th drive:  Interception which I put 90% on Williams not jumping and fighting for ball

Second half

8th drive:  Big run, Run for 1yd, Run for 2 yd, Bad pass that I would argue there was interference, Field Goal

9th drive: 1st down run no gain, Incomplete pass, Run 1 yd, punt

10th drive:  Pass complete, 2nd and 3rd incomplete pass… on Bo

11th drive:  Run for 3yd, Run for 1yd, Sack on Bo – No protection, punt

12th drive:  1st down loss of 20 from bad snap, 2nd and 30… punt

13th drive:  1 incomplete pass and a horrible trick play that did not work and didn’t fool anyone and cost us big time. 3rd and 24, punt.

14th drive:  Good drive, final series, run for 1 yd, Good play but illegal block, 2nd and 3rd and 24, punt

15th drive: Touchdown 

28 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

This is true. Sean White was good but he was actually coached up before he got here. Gus didn’t improve him any. You have to have it before you get here.

All quarterbacks are coached up before they got to college. 

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

All quarterbacks are coached up before they got to college. 

I think I was referring to he worked with a private QB coach, not just his high school football coach.

Archived