Jump to content
Null

Derrick Brown: 'I was held a lot' by LSU


Recommended Posts

Derrick Brown: 'I was held a lot' by LSU

ByBrandon Marcello

3 minutes

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana — Derrick Brown could only shrug at the game official.

Auburn’s elite defensive tackle appeared to have been held by an LSU offensive lineman, and frustration was growing. No flags were being thrown. Meanwhile, Auburn fans watching from their homes watched replays in slow motion looking for every hold they could. Some tweeted at the SEC’s officiating account.

No. 9 Auburn’s 23-20 loss at No. 2 LSU stings, yes, especially for Auburn’s defense, which held the nation’s second-best offense four touchdowns under their scoring average.

And the perceived uncalled holding penalties? That only added salt to the wound.

“I mean, I feel like we dominated,” Auburn defensive end Marlon Davidson said. “I really do feel like that. If you turn on the tape and you watch it, you'll see a lot of bad calls by the referees and stuff that should've been called. But at the end of the day, man, we played a great game on defense. We just came up short, man. We've got to go back into the lab and work again. That's all we can do.”

LSU managed to pile up 508 yards, but the home Tigers were stood up at the goal line twice by Auburn’s defensive front as LSU's 10-game streak of scoring 35 points came to an end. Brown had seven tackles, two for losses and a sack in the first quarter. Davidson had five tackles.

“I do feel like I was held a lot tonight, and it didn't really get called at all,” Brown said. “But, you know, at the end of the day the officials do their job and I can't sit here and fuss and complain about it because they're the ones who made the call. Me being upset and frustrated, it only takes me out of my game, so I just go with the flow of the game.”

Auburn finished with three sacks of quarterback Joe Burrow, who finished 32 of 42 passing for 321 yards and one touchdown with one interception. The difference was the third quarter as LSU’s offense started rolling. The home Tigers accumulated 194 yards, including 99 rushing yards, in the third quarter and grabbed a 16-13 lead it would not relinquish in the fourth quarter.

Auburn (6-2, 3-2 SEC) returns home to face Ole Miss next week at Jordan-Hare Stadium. It will mark the first game at home since Sept. 28.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites




Offensive line play on both sides of the ball was the difference in the game. Ours played like crap. There’s held on every play. If either one of these things were different, we would have won last night.

If our OL was competent, we would have scored a lot more point. If there’s was getting called for holding, they would have scored substantially fewer points

Edited by AUFriction
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Watching some of the replay in key situations most of the holding was occuring around the neck area and extremely obvious.

Yeah it was blatant. I can’t believe how they just let it go. That has to be a conscious decision by the refs to just ignore it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

Yeah it was blatant. I can’t believe how they just let it go. That has to be a conscious decision by the refs to just ignore it.

It become extremely obvious just after Burrow was hit at the knee.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Say what you will about the offense, Auburn should have won that game even scoring only 20 points. LSU hit their first TD thanks to a no-call holding that likely would have turned the play into a sack by TD Moultry or at least a hurried throw. 

Multiple LSU momentum plays were aided by blatant holding no-calls. 

Wish someone would stand up to the SEC offices and throw an absolute fit about it. Muschamp seems to be the one that might be the most upset about it in the conference but for some reason just can't get himself to come out and say it.

I think Muschamp knows there is something that goes on in these games and that's why he gets so irrate with these referees. 2015 Iron Bowl comes to mind when he lit into refs for "sideline warning" garbage and same things not called against Bammer, then some crap personal foul call put them in FG range to go up by 2 scores late. Hope someone stands up to this corrupt conference one day. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Say what you will about the offense, Auburn should have won that game even scoring only 20 points. LSU hit their first TD thanks to a no-call holding that likely would have turned the play into a sack by TD Moultry or at least a hurried throw. 

Multiple LSU momentum plays were aided by blatant holding no-calls. 

Wish someone would stand up to the SEC offices and throw an absolute fit about it. Muschamp seems to be the one that might be the most upset about it in the conference but for some reason just can't get himself to come out and say it.

I think Muschamp knows there is something that goes on in these games and that's why he gets so irrate with these referees. 2015 Iron Bowl comes to mind when he lit into refs for "sideline warning" garbage and same things not called against Bammer, then some crap personal foul call put them in FG range to go up by 2 scores late. Hope someone stands up to this corrupt conference one day. 

There were AT LEAST 3 holds that didn't get called ON THAT DRIVE. The TD, a 3rd down conversion early in the drive, and I can't remember the other one (maybe it was the double hold on Brown). Hard to win against that kind of BS.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

There were AT LEAST 3 holds that didn't get called ON THAT DRIVE. The TD, a 3rd down conversion early in the drive, and I can't remember the other one (maybe it was the double hold on Brown). Hard to win against that kind of BS.

Three?? Try 9.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was blatant, it was obvious and it was disgusting. Not only on Brown but on our defensive ends when they beat their tackles. On one play in particular Moultry had beat the RT. As he passed by he was grabbed by the shoulder and spun in a complete circle. The damn ref was looking right at it.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...