Food for thought (QB)

Swamp Eagle

I have about decided that Bo wasn't named the starter so much for how good he is, but for what options it gives Gus in the event he gets locked into another 8-5-type season. Reading articles of the comments from JG's HS coach and his QB trainer leads me to believe the "Bo won the job because he can throw it better" is BS, too. If true, he would have to be God-awful.  

At the very least, in games where Bo is struggling (UF & LSU), why not give JG a shot just to see if he can give the O a spark? 

Thoughts, anyone?

Even if Joey is worse than Bo, Joey brings a different dynamic to the run game. It OBVIOUS that the threat of Bo passing isn’t scaring any defenses. So we get a stacked box. We will get a stacked box against Joey but atleast he brings a different speed and power. Give me the faster, bruiser that’s 6’ 5” and 240 pounds mixed in with DJ Williams and Schwartz on the perimeter runs. A little triple option action?

Bo must be one of those guys that looks like Peyton Manning in practice, but when the lights come on, he's Ryan Leaf.

6 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Jeremy Sean Jarrett  Bo must be one of those guys that looks like Peyton Manning in practice, but when the lights come on, he's Ryan Leaf.

FIFY

Crazy how it keeps happening. Gus has such bad luck. 

44 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Bo must be one of those guys that looks like Peyton Manning in practice, but when the lights come on, he's Ryan Leaf.

NFL Ryan Leaf?  B/c I would take college Ryan Leaf in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I have about decided that Bo wasn't named the starter so much for how good he is, but for what options it gives Gus in the event he gets locked into another 8-5-type season. Reading articles of the comments from JG's HS coach and his QB trainer leads me to believe the "Bo won the job because he can throw it better" is BS, too. If true, he would have to be God-awful.  

At the very least, in games where Bo is struggling (UF & LSU), why not give JG a shot just to see if he can give the O a spark? 

Thoughts, anyone?

Hmmm. I think it's the same old issue of Gus being stubborn as a mule and wanting to prove that he's right in making Bo the starter. And honestly, long term he could be right. Every freshman isn't going to be Tua or Trevor and i was never expecting that from Bo. My expectations from Bo were to be able to be a more mobile Sean White. I'm surprised at how off Bo has been on the deep balls. I thought the whole point of starting Bo was that his passing accuracy trumped Joey's running ability. Knowing that when we play the better teams that having a passing attack is key to having a chance to win. It's just been a combination of bad with Gus's play calling and Bo's lack of execution when he's had opportunities. 

Gus probably feels that he's at the point of no return and has to be all in with Bo when that isn't the case. This shouldn't be a surprise to us b/c this is who Gus is but it just keeps happening. 

I am just curious. I know we all keep talking about Bo's accuracy issues and that being the reason he was named the starter, but did Gus ever come out and say that? I remember Gus saying the Offense moved better and scored more in practice with Bo....but that would make sense because we have a shut down run defense. Did Gus ever say we are starting Bo because he is more accurate than Joey?

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am just curious. I know we all keep talking about Bo's accuracy issues and that being the reason he was named the starter, but did Gus ever come out and say that? I remember Gus saying the Offense moved better and scored more in practice with Bo....but that would make sense because we have a shut down run defense. Did Gus ever say we are starting Bo because he is more accurate than Joey?

Two things:

1. You can’t believe a word Gus says, you have to see what he does on Saturdays in the Fall, and

2. There is no way that the #1 defense and the #1 offense played each other in the Fall practices.  Our offense would not have scored at all.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Two things:

1. You can’t believe a word Gus says, you have to see what he does on Saturdays in the Fall, and

2. There is no way that the #1 defense and the #1 offense played each other in the Fall practices.  Our offense would not have scored at all.

2 things

1. I am well aware we can't believe what Gus says. My question still stands. Did Gus ever actually say this or did we arrive at this conclusion on our own?

2. It wouldn't take our number 1 defense to stop the Offense. Our back-ups' back-ups on Defense could stop this putrid Off.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

NFL Ryan Leaf?  B/c I would take college Ryan Leaf in a heartbeat.

He wouldn't be college Ryan Leaf with Gus as his QB Coach. 

Gus should have recruited a JC QB or another grad transfer. The fact that he didn't have any options after Kelly Bryant picked Mizzou is all on him. There is no excuse for having only three freshmen QB's on the roster with no upperclassmen in your 7th season as head coach.  It takes an elite QB to start as a true freshmen in the SEC. Bo can be a good QB in a few season but to expect anything else is not realistic.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

FIFY

Crazy how it keeps happening. Gus has such bad luck. 

Yep. I really like Gus as a person, but I think it's passed time we all acknowledge that he struggles to develop QBs.

I don't think Gatewood is the answer that some want him to be.  I wish the issues were that simple, but the truth is the scheme is weak.  I'm not sure there's any way the offense even returns to average without a coaching change.  I won't be upset if Joey gets a shot, but I think it's pretty naive to expect a big improvement.  We've seen this play out too many times before with Gus.

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

1. I am well aware we can't believe what Gus says. My question still stands. Did Gus ever actually say this or did we arrive at this conclusion on our own?

This board often conflates what insiders observe at practice and what Gus has said during the hype season.  I can’t answer your question.  My statement should have said “you can’t believe what comes out of Fall practice until you see in on Saturdays in the Fall”

6 minutes ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Yep. I really like Gus as a person, but I think it's passed time we all acknowledge that he struggles to develop QBs.

I don't think Gatewood is the answer that some want him to be.  I wish the issues were that simple, but the truth is the scheme is weak.  I'm not sure there's any way the offense even returns to average without a coaching change.  I won't be upset if Joey gets a shot, but I think it's pretty naive to expect a big improvement.  We've seen this play out too many times before with Gus.

Yep. Last season really sealed the deal on that for me. 2nd year with Jarrett freaking Stidham and we looked like that? Gus has absolutely no idea what he's doing when it comes to the most important position on the team, much less on the offense. 

And I agree that Joey won't suddenly make our problems go away. I have to wonder, though, if he couldn't have been the difference in a 3 point game the other night. Certainly would've been worth letting him try at some point. 

What gets me is so many games over the years we have been held to under 28 points, often under 300 total yards ( under 120 against Clemson) and it's not like we are playing ball control teams keep the ball 40 plus minutes a game.

3 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Thoughts, anyone?

I am not opposed to playing Gatewood but I dont expect different results because I know its gus sorry system and playcalling for the failure, its lack of quarterback development from a coach we got down at the minor leagues and should not be quarterback coach at pee wee league.  I want Gatewood to start so when you guys see the same results you will know what I know;  Gus is the problem.

That is probably why Gus doesnt start Gatewood because by starting Gatewood he is showing everyone that it is not the quarterbacks but his sorry system.

4 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Thoughts, anyone?

I thought Gatewood would be the starter. If they were more or less equal coming out of evaluation, then the more senior guy should be the starter. If he can't get it done then you can bring in the next guy. 

Is it the Gus failing the QB position, or are his passing routes and schemes just SO BAD that our WRs are stupid easy to cover?  Either way, s*** is old.

19 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Is it the Gus failing the QB position, or are his passing routes and schemes just SO BAD that our WRs are stupid easy to cover?  Either way, s*** is old.

This , leach or holgerson would pee all over themselves to have these players 

32 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

He only has 3 passing routes. His schemes are only scripted for 3 drives max. Our WRs are a product of limited pass plays. 

"Seth, you just run something and make a spectacular catch. Anthony, just go deep and outrun everyone. Eli, stay shallow and follow your blocks"

Easy planning for a defensive secondary.

Archived