How has Gus split the fan base?

GwillMac6

Like why? What is it about him that has people so staunchly defend him? I am genuinely asking a question. I really do want to truly try and understand it. Because I do not get it at all. 

Because you would think after 7 years of groundhog day reliving the same movie over and over again and it ending the same way when we go on the road and lose against a quality team that more and more people would be tired of it. But truly it seems like it is split 50/50 down the middle and I for one am baffled at it. The losses to florida and LSU this year seem to make the people in his corner get even more defensive. 

The Auburn fan base is in a intense battle with each other way more than we ever are with different fan bases.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is his personality . It was like this at Springdale, it was like this on the hill and it is like this now at Auburn.

Part of this is Gus seems like a genuine nice guy so people want to give him the benefit of a doubt. The other issue is people get frustrated with his coaching and certain moves which causes rifts.

what I will say is behind the scenes there seems to be something more because most of the time whenever he touches a place there is some sort of conflict. He is a polarizing figure. Conflict with Gene, Houston, Rhett, Mitch, JJ, DC, etc. Just my opinion on some of this stuff. 

why blame gus? he is only here as long as he is allowed to be. yes he comes up short but i guarantee you he wants to win as badly as anyone does. the truth is the powers that be are responsible for this.not gus. he just cannot give the fans what they want. the folks out for blood should be blaming the ones responsible. w

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

why blame gus? he is only here as long as he is allowed to be. yes he comes up short but i guarantee you he wants to win as badly as anyone does. the truth is the powers that be are responsible for this.not gus. he just cannot give the fans what they want. the folks out for blood should be blaming the ones responsible. w

I’m sorry...you don’t think Gus is to blame?

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m sorry...you don’t think Gus is to blame?

no sir. the powers that be screwed things up badly or gus would be gone so it is on them. gus would not have had the chance to upset anyone.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is his personality . It was like this at Springdale, it was like this on the hill and it is like this now at Auburn.

Part of this is Gus seems like a genuine nice guy so people want to give him the benefit of a doubt. The other issue is people get frustrated with his coaching and certain moves which causes rifts.

what I will say is behind the scenes there seems to be something more because most of the time whenever he touches a place there is some sort of conflict. He is a polarizing figure. Conflict with Gene, Houston, Rhett, Mitch, JJ, DC, etc. Just my opinion on some of this stuff. 

Now that you write it out, I forgot that he's had issues with so many people. It's like it doesn't stick with him or something. That's weird but cool

• WarTiger changed the title to How has Gus split the fan base?
19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like why? What is it about him that has people so staunchly defend him? I am genuinely asking a question. I really do want to truly try and understand it. Because I do not get it at all. 

We are in a very similar situation with Gus that LSU, UGA, and TAMU were with Miles, Richt, and Sumlin. Good guys, who win a lot of games, run a clean program, etc....A 3-9 season or a couple of losing seasons in a row eliminate almost all supporters, but any coach who wins 8 games a year and occasional big games, is going to have some folks in their corner. I’m not one of those folks. That said, a 9 or 10 win season is still possible with this roster, which will further divide the fan base on firing or keeping. 

Here is my take on the situation.  

1.  You have some fans that believe that they should always be positive during the season and let things play out.   Always cheer for the team and never say anything negative.   (God bless her soul, but my mom was this way).   Also , there are always plays during a game that the coaches have done right in teaching and technique, but the player screws it up.   Or an unfortunate sequence of events happen (DB falling down going for a sure touchdown)

2. The other side of the coin see’s a coach continue to do the same things year after year, game after game, with no change in sight.    In the 7 years CGM has been at AU, he has gone through 3 OCs.   Can anyone tell the difference in any of plays?   The frustration of seeing the same thing leaves people frustrated with the situation and want change.  

On top of not being a great head coach he also is a weird dude with no personality and boring during press conferences.  He's just dull. 

Combine those two and you have an explanation of why I don't like him.

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Now that you write it out, I forgot that he's had issues with so many people. It's like it doesn't stick with him or something. That's weird but cool

Part of it is because he does things super behind the scenes and discreetly . Perfect example is the way he negotiated his contract . He words his words perfectly to the media where he doesn’t say he is looking at Arkansas but just enough to caution Auburn. Then somehow the blame got shifted to the agent and away from him, like he wasn’t the mastermind. Things like that rub people the wrong way. 

My son and his family lived in N.Ark for several years and collected the scuttlebutt on Malzahn, Springdale 5 and UA through those years.  I checked out what my son told me about what he had heard and a lot of it was easily verified. Folks, he is not liked at all except for a small section in the NW part of the state. There was ZERO danger of him going to UA in 2017. They didn't want him and it would have been a riot situation if he had. He would have ended up coaching the NE Patriots before he coached at Fayetteville.. 

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

My son and his family lived in N.Ark for several years and collected the scuttlebutt on Malzahn, Springdale 5 and UA through those years.  I checked out what my son told me about what he had heard and a lot of it was easily verified. Folks, he is not liked at all except for a small section in the NW part of the state. There was ZERO danger of him going to UA in 2017. They didn't want him and it would have been a riot situation if he had. He would have ended up coaching the NE Patriots before he coached at Fayetteville.. 

I am going to push back a little. A lot of what your son says is true. I also spent quite a bit of time on the hill and the power to be absolutely wanted Gus. That was a big part of the reasoning of getting rid of Jeff Long , although BB did play a huge part. Jeff Long and Gus were not fund of each other. Gus had a golden key to Arkansas athletics but they really wanted him to commit prior to the Conference championship game and he kept holding off vying his time for the Auburn brass to respond. 

It’s kind of like this cat I once had. On the one hand she was cute, sweet, and good natured. She didn’t bite. She didn’t scratch the kids. She didn’t get in the outside garbage.

But, on the other hand, she had an incontinence issue: so, she peed and pooped all over the garage. You had to step over, step beside, and sometimes you stepped in the poop. For awhile, we dealt with it, thinking, per a vet or two, it might get better. It didn’t. Eventually, we had to get rid of the cat, because quite frankly we got tired of all the crap. 

Some want to keep the cat because she’s sweet and good natured. Others, just get tired of all the crap.

It’s kinda like that I think!

(WEE rare sarcasm alert... )

It's been split because we can't agree on which is the most egregious offensive-minded offense. Could it be...

Personnel management?

Weakly managed hires (starting with listening to and learning from them)?

Fundamentals-coaching oversight?

Recruitment gaps widening?

Capacity to make ongoing adjustments?

Consistency and steady, even in small increments, improvements?

Owning it when the results are undeniable? 

Oh, I don't know. Could it be...

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

While the powers to be are responsible for a lot of bad at Auburn they are not responsible for Gus poor coaching performance in fact they did way too much to take pressure off of him by giving him that stupid 75% buyout.

Not really the gist of this topic, but not worth starting a new thread for...

I wonder what the Board of Trustees dynamic is in all this.  We already know (or its been strongly rumored the last 20 years) they love to meddle in the football program.  Would be interesting to see where their loyalty lies at this point as they are the ones with the money. 

However, I do not agree with people on here who suggest Gus is not responsible.  That's a ludicrous conclusion after he has been given 7 years and more than enough job security to prove his worth.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

I'm sorry but who was on the sidelines last Saturday? I don't remember seeing anyone from the BOT but I do remember seeing Gus choke like he did in the National Championship game. Talk about delusional. 

Those that like him (like me) know what he is capable of.  His offense took us to two national championships and three SEC Championships.  It’s not that we are complacent.  We just have seen what he can do.

Archived