How has Gus split the fan base?

GwillMac6

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Comment I heard from Les Miles but it's pretty common.  "When you coach at the same place a long time, friends come and go....but enemies accumulate."   That's what is going on at Auburn too......so like Richt or Miles and many others....the accumulated enemies are soon gonna have their way. JMO

Very true.

I was told once by and AD, sometimes you just know when it's time to update the resume

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Very true.

I was told once by and AD, sometimes you just know when it's time to update the resume

I’ve always heard you lose approx 10% of the fan base each yr. If true, Gus is actually ahead of the curve currently! 

26 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Dude...

A796B2A4-94F4-464C-85FC-7AE80DBE6053.jpeg

Now youtube hanging of Bonnie McFarland and the guy on horseback outside sheriffs office is none other.......love that game.

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Comment I heard from Les Miles but it's pretty common.  "When you coach at the same place a long time, friends come and go....but enemies accumulate."   That's what is going on at Auburn too......so like Richt or Miles and many others....the accumulated enemies are soon gonna have their way. JMO

This is very true, but in Auburn’s case I really don’t think “enemies” is the right word but “lost confidence in” would be more accurate.

Gus is 6-7 in SEC games the last two seasons.

3-5 in 2018
3-2 in 2019(so far)

Gus is now in his 7th year. Yet 2020 is looking like another rebuilding year. That will make 3 years in a row of rebuilding. It shouldn't take 3+ years to rebuild if you're consistently getting top 10 recruiting classes.  I'm getting really tired of the excuses for why we shouldn't expect to compete for the SEC West title almost every year. After the 2013 season we had 3 down years in 2014, 2015, and 2016. Then we managed to breakthrough in November 2017 and win the West. And now after 2017, it looks like we're going to have another 3 down years in 2018, 2019, and 2020.

Gus has no vision for the program. That's the problem and why we're perpetually in rebuilding mode. Gus hasn't evolved the offense. The offense has been holding us back since 2016. Outside of November 2017, our offense hasn't done much in big games. Our passing game hasn't evolved because Gus's offense is a misdirection "power run" offense. It worked in 2013 and to a lesser extent in 2014 because we had the O-line to just pound teams. We don't have the O-line to do that anymore. When our run game is taken away or isn't effective then our QB's are tasked with carrying the offense. Our QB's look bad when they're trying to carry an offense with a limited passing game. Our offense isn't meant to be a passing offense. That's why when our running game isn't effective enough we usually lose these big games

Some of you guys are proving my point and not even knowing it.  I am getting facepalmed for answering the OP in an honest and respectful way for the simple fact I stand behind the head coach.  That creates a divide in itself.  Just something you guys need to consider.

The “Crow” thread got locked for the opposite side where the optimists were going after the realists.  And that thread also caused a divide.  

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Some of you guys are proving my point and not even knowing it.  I am getting facepalmed for answering the OP in an honest and respectful way for the simple fact I stand behind the head coach.  That creates a divide in itself.  Just something you guys need to consider.

The “Crow” thread got locked for the opposite side where the optimists were going after the realists.  And that thread also caused a divide.  

Nope. It does not.  You constantly using divisive describers does.  You always spin positivity onto your side.   It is really simple to just use “for a change” or “against a change” to stay neutral.

13 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Nope. It does not.  You constantly using divisive describers does.  You always spin positivity onto your side.   It is really simple to just use “for a change” or “against a change” to stay neutral.

Not really.  Did I not just use the term “realists” instead any other describer?  And I always use positivity.  That is how I am wired.  But I do it in a respectful way.  Not only that, but I will give credit where credit is due.  

29 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I agree here. Come on guys lets respect the honest folks who are trying to be cool.  

As bad as I can be...and yeah I can be bad...there are legit some on here who try to be civil. 

Now, for the others....

20 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Not really.  Did I not just use the term “realists” instead any other describer?  And I always use positivity.  That is how I am wired.  But I do it in a respectful way.  Not only that, but I will give credit where credit is due.  

If u always use positivity then why do u thumbs down people?  That clearly is a negative action, ya think?

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If u always use positivity then why do u thumbs down people?  That clearly is a negative action, ya think?

I think we all have our moments. I’ve seen enough of abw to believe he really does just want some positivity and peace. End of the day I don’t think he’s headhunting like some on here...maybe me lol

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

When they are being negative yes, and when I do it is very rare.  Extremely rare.  For example, I gave one to you for making fun of my post in this very thread for saying Malzahn’s wife wouldn’t even say that about him.  That was uncalled for.  The only other time I gave you a thumbs down is when you went after Momma Worm and upset her.

three types of fans: 
1. Some of fans on here are just fans in that they support the team and whoever the coach is.. most do not like the product  that CGM puts on the field and they are not happy with him but they are not going to say it or bash players or the coach. 

2.  The fans that will ride to hell with Gus on his bus and defend every thing he does. 

3. The vocal fans who are tired of the same ole crap every year and want a change.. and if not a change they want to see a head coach make adjustments and give his team a chance to win, instead of trotting out the same hot garbage we have seen for 7 years. They want to stop wasting talent. They are not satisfied with 8 or 9 wins. They want to compete for championships every year.

The division comes when the 3’s express their displeasure with a game, player, and head coach.. the 1’s secretly agree but won’t say it out loud and wince at the bashing of players and coaches.  The 2’s chime in with their unrelenting support of CGM and the debates and name calling begin. 

8 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

three types of fans: 
1. Some of fans on here are just fans in that they support the team and whoever the coach is.. most do not like the product  that CGM puts on the field and they are not happy with him but they are not going to say it or bash players or the coach. 

2.  The fans that will ride to hell with Gus on his bus and defend every thing he does. 

3. The vocal fans who are tired of the same ole crap every year and want a change.. and if not a change they want to see a head coach make adjustments and give his team a chance to win, instead of trotting out the same hot garbage we have seen for 7 years. They want to stop wasting talent. They are not satisfied with 8 or 9 wins. They want to compete for championships every year.

The division comes when the 3’s express their displeasure with a game, player, and head coach.. the 1’s secretly agree but won’t say it out loud and wince at the bashing of players and coaches.  The 2’s chime in with their unrelenting support of CGM and the debates and name calling begin. 

download.gif

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Well, if you look at it he has improved in areas.  At the beginning the defense was terrible so he went out and got Muschamp.  And then Steele.  Then we couldn’t recruit wide receivers to save our life.  And then we got some.  Then it was quarterbacks.  And then we got Stidham, Gatewood, and Nix.  Now it is the OL and I like the mix of JUCO’s and high schoolers in the next class.

Also on offense, many don’t realize that last year we were pretty even on the run/pass ratio.  That is an improvement.  Even this year, Gus is having his true freshmen throw more than other big time programs when they had true freshmen.

I am also looking at other factors that make this less black and white and more grey.  Many want it to be black and white so they force it to be.  Does that help?

Since you did not find me funny, i kid.

Muschamp: JJ gave him a blank check.  Muschamp ripped Gus a new one that he ran sissy practices and if he didn’t change it he was gone.

to these other points, it is part of his job, you don’t get credit for doing what you are suppose to do.  Fixing problems u created while helpful needs one to ask why did it happen in the first place.  When your child out grows their clothes and u get new ones for them that is not a sign of u becoming a better parent, IMO.

Lindsey called the plays last year, I thought.  That is why it would be better this yr with Gus calling them.

Nix is throwing more because of down and distance and even though they are not great at pass blocking it is the strong suit of the o-line compared to their run blocking.

If Gus simply evolved his offensive scheme from wr routes, blocking schemes and pre-snap tendencies none of this would matter.  People would overlook his recruiting lapses if his specialty performed and evolved consistently.  

You believe he is gonna do this or doesn’t need to, I am not sure on what is in your head.  Most of us think 7 years is enough of an opportunity to see real change and not little tiny baby steps every now and then.  Even though we are happy to see them.

Some like @AU64 believe that unless there is what is a sure fire candidate to take his spot we stay the course.

No clue what Mikey is thinking, lol. J/k mikey

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Muschamp: JJ gave him a blank check.  Muschamp ripped Gus a new one that he ran sissy practices and if he didn’t change it he was gone.

to these other points, it is part of his job, you don’t get credit for doing what you are suppose to do.  Fixing problems u created while helpful needs one to ask why did it happen in the first place.  When your child out grows their clothes and u get new ones for them that is not a sign of u becoming a better parent, IMO.

Lindsey called the plays last year, I thought.  That is why it would be better this yr with Gus calling them.

Nix is throwing more because of down and distance and even though they are not great at pass blocking it is the strong suit of the o-line compared to their run blocking.

If Gus simply evolved his offensive scheme from wr routes, blocking schemes and pre-snap tendencies none of this would matter.  People would overlook his recruiting lapses if his specialty performed and evolved consistently.  

You believe he is gonna do this or doesn’t need to, I am not sure on what is in your head.  Most of us think 7 years is enough of an opportunity to see real change and not little tiny baby steps every now and then.  Even though we are happy to see them.

Some like @AU64 believe that unless there is what is a sure fire candidate to take his spot we stay the course.

Bro, if Mikey isn’t Kristie Malzahn color me shocked...

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like why? What is it about him that has people so staunchly defend him? I am genuinely asking a question. I really do want to truly try and understand it. Because I do not get it at all. 

Because you would think after 7 years of groundhog day reliving the same movie over and over again and it ending the same way when we go on the road and lose against a quality team that more and more people would be tired of it. But truly it seems like it is split 50/50 down the middle and I for one am baffled at it. The losses to florida and LSU this year seem to make the people in his corner get even more defensive. 

The Auburn fan base is in a intense battle with each other way more than we ever are with different fan bases.

If you "do not get it at all" this will be hard. But here goes. You have to buy into the concept that our schedule is perpetually crazy harder than 99% of the country almost every. Single. Year. You then have to buy into the idea that in the entire world of coaches maybe...maybe 2 or 3 we aint getting anytime soon could do better than Malzahn with OUR schedule (not FSUs or Miami's or Michigan's). You then have to also put a LOT of stock into how a coach represents the university (close games and nose picking aside). Not buying into Malzahn filling any of those roles gets you into the "I dont get it" crowd.

Fwiw, post LSU game sports writers cracking me up with pointing out how Auburn fans seem to be only ones unhappy sitting #11 after Oregon, UF and LSU. 

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Man, you're just nailing it today.

giphy-1.gif

I don't have a lot to add, except for something that's pretty striking to me and is really illustrative of...something. Don't know what.

Even in this thread, someone said that there's a good chance we could win vs UGA and Bama. (I think we get one of those, personally, but let's say we get both.) That would make us 11-2, beating our two biggest rivals. And, let's not forget, that would be twice in 3 years.

And 80% of the people here, and maybe of AU fans in general, would still advocate for firing the coach after that. And, lest we forget...we had this exact same conversation in 2017.

All the optimists (going to channel my inner ABW here) would be able to see would be the records. All the realists would see would be how we lost to LSU and UF (or, Clemson in 2017) - because the vision would be taken up by last year, or the dark years of 2015-2016 (even if one of those we ended up in the Sugar Bowl). Then again, all the optimists eyes are filled with 'what have you done for me lately' and a sense of hope, and we would gloss over UF and LSU and MSU and UT, and the overall record.

All that half (more than half, really) would be able to see would be 2018. All that the other side would see is the good parts of 2017 and 2019. And nothing will change either side's minds.

Not saying either side is wrong or right, either...but it is very striking, a good illustration of the divide, very reminiscent of political polarization (speaking in general terms, not of current events necessarily). Unfortunately, I think that it is intractable. And, I think that it's permanently damaged us, or if it hasn't, it will.

For those that doubt personal attacks...go look at the end of the LSU game thread. Another poster and I got into it over playing JG. I got called an idiot, a special kind of stupid, asked if I needed it drawn in crayon, among some other things (and I am at fault, too for punching back). Over a simple disagreement over whether the Most Popular Player On Any Bad Team (the backup QB) was ready, or would be an improvement. Neither of us even had evidence for our position, we just had the position itself. And we were willing to knife each other on a message board over it.

I don't know where the acrimony came from, I don't know how to fix it, but I have a feeling that it all lies in incredulity and anonymity. We can't believe that someone holds the opinion they hold, and I think that's partly because we don't have the context behind the position and the person behind the pixels, and partly because we all love Auburn and want what we think is best for it, and can't believe someone on the other side would willingly and blindly stand in the way of it.

All I can say is: a ton of us stuck around after the board merger and have been around for nearly 10 years or more, or were here before the merger and welcomed us in with open arms (mostly, anyway). Everyone has made friends and enemies, blocked a lot of people. It's a forum, there's gonna be discussion and disagreements, but nobody - NOBODY - should feel dread when they get a notification and have to wonder whether it was someone agreeing with them, or disparaging them. Or feel anger when they see a poster's name, even before they read what they have to say. Or consider whether they should send a note to someone saying that it's been a pleasure, but it's a shame that you've got to go because you just can't deal with those other people anymore.

I do wonder, though, if that acrimony would actually carry over if we were sitting at a tailgate. If I'd get called an idiot, or if I'd tell someone they're stupid. I would hope not.

Then again, seeing the outpouring of support for Bird and his son, or after someone requests prayers for a sick or dying loved one, or with 72 and his absolute miracle, seeing us rally around our own with genuine empathy and caring. All of a sudden, the pixels on the screen, the words being said...they become human. They become family. That does bring me hope. As much hope as I feel that this team is a good week away from being unstoppable or that one day, these arguments will fall by the wayside as moot points.

What can I say, I'm an optimist.

5 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

If you "do not get it at all" this will be hard. But here goes. You have to buy into the concept that our schedule is perpetually crazy harder than 99% of the country almost every. Single. Year. You then have to buy into the idea that in the entire world of coaches maybe...maybe 2 or 3 we aint getting anytime soon could do better than Malzahn with OUR schedule (not FSUs or Miami's or Michigan's). You then have to also put a LOT of stock into how a coach represents the university (close games and nose picking aside). Not buying into Malzahn filling any of those roles gets you into the "I dont get it" crowd.

Fwiw, post LSU game sports writers cracking me up with pointing out how Auburn fans seem to be only ones unhappy sitting #11 after Oregon, UF and LSU. 

So, basically, and follow me here because I can’t write in crayon, we should never EXPECT to win big because our schedule is always too hard and we should be perfectly happy because in October we are ranked #11 with only two losses to the best two teams we played...because obviously we aren’t supposed to win those games...and outside of a collapse by Oregon, who barely beat Wazzou btw and pumpers are vastly overrating, we have beaten a bunch of also rans who have at least 3 losses or are non-Power 5 teams?  Oh ok got it.  We should also be perfectly content with 6-15 against the Big 3 even though uga and lsu have had very beatable teams over that stretch...Oh ok got it...So, after 7 years, pray tell exactly when we are all supposed to expect more?? I would love to know exactly what season its ok to expect more from a coach than losing big games and accomplishing nothing but hanging a championship defense out to dry?? We can all get off this board and come back that year if you will just please tell us with all your infinite wisdom exactly what year that will be?  Don’t say next year, tough schedule and all.  Can’t expect us to beat lsu and bama back to back.  New O line, losing a lot of good defensive players.  How about 2021?? Ah no sadly that tough schedule rears its ugly head again...So, please send out an invite for the season where we join the Sun Belt and are allowed to hope for a title and beating our rivals like Troy and Arky State? 

8 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

I don't have a lot to add, except for something that's pretty striking to me and is really illustrative of...something. Don't know what.

Even in this thread, someone said that there's a good chance we could win vs UGA and Bama. (I think we get one of those, personally, but let's say we get both.) That would make us 11-2, beating our two biggest rivals. And, let's not forget, that would be twice in 3 years.

And 80% of the people here, and maybe of AU fans in general, would still advocate for firing the coach after that. And, lest we forget...we had this exact same conversation in 2017.

All the optimists (going to channel my inner ABW here) would be able to see would be the records. All the realists would see would be how we lost to LSU and UF (or, Clemson in 2017) - because the vision would be taken up by last year, or the dark years of 2015-2016 (even if one of those we ended up in the Sugar Bowl). Then again, all the optimists eyes are filled with 'what have you done for me lately' and a sense of hope, and we would gloss over UF and LSU and MSU and UT, and the overall record.

All that half (more than half, really) would be able to see would be 2018. All that the other side would see is the good parts of 2017 and 2019. And nothing will change either side's minds.

Not saying either side is wrong or right, either...but it is very striking, a good illustration of the divide, very reminiscent of political polarization (speaking in general terms, not of current events necessarily). Unfortunately, I think that it is intractable. And, I think that it's permanently damaged us, or if it hasn't, it will.

For those that doubt personal attacks...go look at the end of the LSU game thread. Another poster and I got into it over playing JG. I got called an idiot, a special kind of stupid, asked if I needed it drawn in crayon, among some other things (and I am at fault, too for punching back). Over a simple disagreement over whether the Most Popular Player On Any Bad Team (the backup QB) was ready, or would be an improvement. Neither of us even had evidence for our position, we just had the position itself. And we were willing to knife each other on a message board over it.

I don't know where the acrimony came from, I don't know how to fix it, but I have a feeling that it all lies in incredulity and anonymity. We can't believe that someone holds the opinion they hold, and I think that's partly because we don't have the context behind the position and the person behind the pixels, and partly because we all love Auburn and want what we think is best for it, and can't believe someone on the other side would willingly and blindly stand in the way of it.

All I can say is: a ton of us stuck around after the board merger and have been around for nearly 10 years or more, or were here before the merger and welcomed us in with open arms (mostly, anyway). Everyone has made friends and enemies, blocked a lot of people. It's a forum, there's gonna be discussion and disagreements, but nobody - NOBODY - should feel dread when they get a notification and have to wonder whether it was someone agreeing with them, or disparaging them. Or feel anger when they see a poster's name, even before they read what they have to say. Or consider whether they should send a note to someone saying that it's been a pleasure, but it's a shame that you've got to go because you just can't deal with those other people anymore.

I do wonder, though, if that acrimony would actually carry over if we were sitting at a tailgate. If I'd get called an idiot, or if I'd tell someone they're stupid. I would hope not.

Then again, seeing the outpouring of support for Bird and his son, or after someone requests prayers for a sick or dying loved one, or with 72 and his absolute miracle, seeing us rally around our own with genuine empathy and caring. All of a sudden, the pixels on the screen, the words being said...they become humans. They become family. That does bring me hope. As much hope as I feel that this team is a good week away from being unstoppable or that one day, these arguments will fall by the wayside as moot points.

What can I say, I'm an optimist.

This is well said...but damn dude I just used the crayon line on canuck!!! Lol...ugh well now I feel bad...not really but honestly this is a good post. I’ve said before that most all of us would sit and have a drink together at a tailgate and get along fine. Its definitely the anonymity that drives some of the really bad stuff.  It won’t change until Gus is gone and even then it may not depending on who the next guy is and how he does.  This might be the way it is now...but what can I say, I’m a pessimist...:poke: 

Archived