How has Gus split the fan base?

GwillMac6

20 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I do not believe Auburn has any real "Sidewalk Fans". That was the old term that we, as in Auburn people, labeled the old Bahr fans with. As soon as the winning stopped they were history. Bammer still has their share. Wear all the garb, talk about championships but can not tell who their fullback was last year. Most Auburn people are lifers.

i could care less if you went to auburn or not. it is love for the team. my feelings are we are beginning to act like other fan bases we hate. look at hurts. great player. fun to watch. gave he all and a class guy and yet he loses on game and they trash him and some called him racist names. it is a shame

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am not sure how it became about fandom to be honest.  That was never my intention with any of my posts.  I suppose I misinterpreted what Friction was saying so I wanted to apologize to stop the arguing.  Just not worth it and goes against what I was trying to do in unite the divide.

As a friend of yours I do appreciate your honesty. I think you are genuine in all your posts, but I also think at times you should decipher when others don’t mean as well as you. Unfortunately you became guilty by association in this case, but that one poster was doing the very thing that I know you seek out to resolve which is unison . Like I said I actually like differences because you can only learn and grow that way. Sometimes I want to be so right that I can’t see the cloudiness in my judgements. I was definitely wrong for giving Gus another benefit of a doubt.

21 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like why? What is it about him that has people so staunchly defend him? I am genuinely asking a question. I really do want to truly try and understand it. Because I do not get it at all. 

Because you would think after 7 years of groundhog day reliving the same movie over and over again and it ending the same way when we go on the road and lose against a quality team that more and more people would be tired of it. But truly it seems like it is split 50/50 down the middle and I for one am baffled at it. The losses to florida and LSU this year seem to make the people in his corner get even more defensive. 

The Auburn fan base is in a intense battle with each other way more than we ever are with different fan bases.

It’s been an interesting thread.  It’s how we treat each other online, not Gus, that splits us and sometimes takes the fun out of this great forum.  It doesn’t matter what Gus does if we show each other respect.  We aren’t always our best selves from behind a keyboard.  Too often, we feel free to “say” things about coaches, players and each other we would not (or should not) say in person.  Combine that with passion about the topics (plus, possibly, an adult beverage or 2) and you have a volatile mixture.  Criticism (even harsh) of points of view from posters, coaches/coaching, the team’s performance, etc are fair game.  Personal attacks, “cute” pet names to make fun of people (Gus is a popular recipient of this) and contempt for other views instead of debate and discussion poison the discourse.  I believe we showed our best side...who we really are and can be...in my favorite thread ever, the Demographic Curiosity thread.   I wish all threads had that feel of community and friendship.

2 minutes ago, afblue said:

It’s been an interesting thread.  It’s how we treat each other online, not Gus, that splits us and sometimes takes the fun out of this great forum.  It doesn’t matter what Gus does if we show each other respect.  We aren’t always our best selves from behind a keyboard.  Too often, we feel free to “say” things about coaches, players and each other we would not (or should not) say in person.  Combine that with passion about the topics (plus, possibly, an adult beverage or 2) and you have a volatile mixture.  Criticism (even harsh) of points of view from posters, coaches/coaching, the team’s performance, etc are fair game.  Personal attacks, “cute” pet names to make fun of people (Gus is a popular recipient of this) and contempt for other views instead of debate and discussion poison the discourse.  I believe we showed our best side...who we really are and can be...in my favorite thread ever, the Demographic Curiosity thread.   I wish all threads had that feel of community and friendship.

Love that one, too. 

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i could care less if you went to auburn or not. it is love for the team. my feelings are we are beginning to act like other fan bases we hate. look at hurts. great player. fun to watch. gave he all and a class guy and yet he loses on game and they trash him and some called him racist names. it is a shame

Most of the chatter is internet venting and frustration. No organization should own the obligation we are in with Gus imo. With obscene coaching contracts today seems to be the trend though.  

7 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Reread my post bud. I didn't say that at all. I was translating what a previous poster said. 

For the record, I think that previous poster was onto something though.

I have no doubt that you do.  Thus, why you stepped in to "assist".  ...just like I did.

Speaking for myself, I jumped into the discussion (to "help") because I feel like I understand where Keesler came from due to the fact that I agree with his sentiments.  I have to presume that's why you did too.  After all, why would you try and "translate" something you don't understand or agree with?  I wouldn't.  ...but that's me.

You're saying I'm taking you out of context....that you're simply playing interpreter, yet you put plenty of your own stamp to show you were less "interpreting" and more "piggybacking" on sentiments which you clearly agree with and added PLENTY of your own thoughts.  ...just like I did. 

However, I stand by my post & thoughts and you're backtracking, trying to deflect from the thoughts you already put out there because others are calling you on it too.  Whether people like him or not (I happen to like him a lot), in my experience at least ABW owns what he says and if he feels misrepresented he will further his explanation and not just blame the reader.

And that's okay, you can admit that you don't respect a huge number of (dare I say, a majority) Auburn fans since the lambskin on their wall says "Podunk College" (or no degree to prove their worth to you) instead of "Auburn University".  At least we know where we stand with you and we can just move on with that knowledge. 

If I'm wrong, then I would apologize.  However, your posting history suggests otherwise. 

Anyway, I at least hope that all is well your way, in the real world.  God bless!

19 minutes ago, afblue said:

Excellent post.

War Eagle!

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Most of the chatter is internet venting and frustration. No organization should own the obligation we are in with Gus imo. With obscene coaching contracts today seems to be the trend though.  

i doubt few understand but i was fighting out of my love for auburn. the same could be said for others as well i am sure. i just get warn down with so much negative stuff on here.

30 minutes ago, afblue said:

this is the point i was trying to make yesterday and people either did not get it or just did not care. i wish i could have stated it as well as you have.

21 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

i'm gonna go grab a beer and come right back. Can i get one for anyone else?

got a joint to go with it?

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i can check the evidence locker at work, we got all kinds goodies in there

1 minute ago, Hay Field 101 said:
5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

giphy (3).gif

you have an evidence locker in a hay field?  lol  run its the popo....................grins. i lie man. hell i cannot run at 64...............lol

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

giphy (3).gif

move over 72 i am moving in with you where it is legal..................

one day i will learn how to post a gif. folks have tried to explain it to me but unless i am watching an example my dumbass just does not get it. i am a poor old copy and paste guy.

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

giphy (3).gif

DUDE !!!!! i damn near flipped my Tahoe on that one. Thats hilarious !!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

move over 72 i am moving in with you where it is legal..................

Unfortunately, it ain't cheap here.....but it does SO help me sleep!!

2 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

DUDE !!!!! i damn near flipped my Tahoe on that one. Thats hilarious !!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was a close one, LOL!

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Unfortunately, it ain't cheap here.....but it does SO help me sleep!!

are edibles higher than smoke? asking for my best friend......me...lol. i have three friends that are diabetic and they have to sneak around to get it. one had all the nerves removed from his feet they hurt so bad. got hooked on booze and pills. weed has helped him stay off the hard stuff and gives him the only  relief he has. he was actaully talking to the dude cutting his grass and his foot got too close to the muffler  and melted a spot of skinn off his foot because he could not feel it. sad huh?

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

are edibles higher than smoke? asking for my best friend......me...lol. i have three friends that are diabetic and they have to sneak around to get it. one had all the nerves removed from his feet they hurt so bad. got hooked on booze and pills. weed has helped him stay off the hard stuff and gives him the only  relief he has. he was actaully talking to the dude cutting his grass and his foot got too close to the muffler  and melted a spot of skinn off his foot because he could not feel it. sad huh?

I have been a LEO for 28 years. Its time to legalize that stuff. I dont care if its for Medical or relaxation. The war is long been over. Grow it tax it and sell it. If people are suffering from a disease that cant be healed and the sticky green helps them then give it to them. 

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

I'll PM you later.  Happy to offer my experience...

I have been a LEO for 28 years. Its time to legalize that stuff. I dont care if its for Medical or relaxation. The war is long been over. Grow it tax it and sell it. If people are suffering from a disease that cant be healed and the sticky green helps them then give it to them. 

Thank you for the sentiments. 

Now that I'm in that world, due to my cancer & the treatment side-effects, I've learned it's really not that big a deal if used "responsibly" as beer commercials like to say.

4 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Oh, also...

Thank you for your service! 

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll PM you later.  Happy to offer my experience...

a close friend told me he can take ONE$ edible lemondrop and he has to make sure he is sitting and comfy for a while. he said my blue dreams smoke was nothing and then not only did he not offer me one he naner nanered me....................lol

6 minutes ago, Hay Field 101 said:

if you ever go by the anniston police department they have a huge american flag with a blue line in it hanging up in a computer or day room [ i was not invited in  lol. i donated that bad boy to them.it takes huge testicles to wear the uniform on todays streets. i do not smoke and drive but i worry about the new pot tester coming out next year in some area's. that stuff can show up for up to six months depending basically on ones's weight. i am afraid i might go out one day and get busted for something i might do a few days or week past. it is a serious worry. as a senior citizen driver i wrry about getting pulled over and going to jail when i am actually not high.

Archived