How has Gus split the fan base?

GwillMac6

I have decided due to last few comments and the attitudes that I will take off for a while.  Maybe basketball season will be a little less alienating.   
War 🦅

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, lost said:

I have decided due to last few comments and the attitudes that I will take off for a while.  Maybe basketball season will be a little less alienating.   
War 🦅

friend or foe you are welcome here regardless of opinion. we all get frustrated. i hope you come back later.

2 hours ago, lost said:

War 🦅

Lol the medical benefits of edibles? Yeah

On 10/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, aubiefifty said:

why blame gus? he is only here as long as he is allowed to be. yes he comes up short but i guarantee you he wants to win as badly as anyone does. the truth is the powers that be are responsible for this.not gus. he just cannot give the fans what they want. the folks out for blood should be blaming the ones responsible. w

Gus doesn't want to win.  He wants to be  right about his offense!

On 10/28/2019 at 4:25 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Like why? What is it about him that has people so staunchly defend him? I am genuinely asking a question. I really do want to truly try and understand it. Because I do not get it at all. 

Because you would think after 7 years of groundhog day reliving the same movie over and over again and it ending the same way when we go on the road and lose against a quality team that more and more people would be tired of it. But truly it seems like it is split 50/50 down the middle and I for one am baffled at it. The losses to florida and LSU this year seem to make the people in his corner get even more defensive. 

The Auburn fan base is in a intense battle with each other way more than we ever are with different fan bases.

He says War Eagle.........................

32 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

lol ok toomer

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

lol ok toomer

It's not a joke.  I do not think Gus even is aware of the difference.  Gus really  didn't like Rhett running "HIS" offense.   He brought Chip in but Chip had to run Malzahns version of the HUNH.   Gus wants  to win but only wants to win if it is running his offense in the manner he likes to run it.  Not how Rhett likes to  run it or how Chip wanted to run it.  So yes Gus wants to be right more than he wants to  win.  If Gus wanted to win he  would hire Kliff Kingsbury and leave him alone.  He would get rid of this C-USA Caliber offensive coaching staff and hire offensive coaches that mirror our  defensive staff.   But no, Gus wants to  prove he designed the best offense and is the best play caller.  And that is more  important to  him than winning.  

or developing a quarterback

If I’ve insulted anyone, I’m sorry. The point I was trying to make is that it seems like people have lost sight of loving Auburn and have gotten too caught up in wanting our football program to become Bama’s football program.

I guess I’m just shocked any Auburn graduate would act this way, and have a hard time imagining that the bulk of the graduates on here are the people doing it. I didn’t attend Auburn because of football. I attended Auburn because it was a beautiful school with a great spirit and great educational standards. It was as a student that I learned to love all of Auburn. If our chess team played for a national championship, I’d be right there cheering them on. I get so into football because it is a visible sport that we’ve had a lot of success in.

To me, it seemed more likely that the bulk of the whiners were non-graduates. Every non-graduate (I.e., sidewalk) Auburn fan I’ve ever met became a fan almost purely over sports, and their passion didn’t extend much beyond that. If your love for Auburn is purely based on sports, it would make sense that you’d only care about winning, and that you’d almost go so far as to say Auburn winning in football feels like a need.

But maybe I made too many assumptions. Maybe I’ve met the wrong kind of sidewalks. Maybe our alumni fans have lost sight of what Auburn values are about. Either way, I’m disappointed in the fact that I think many of you guys have become so jealous of the team across the state that you’ve set crazy standards for our program.

I mean, only a few weeks ago, we lost to a team that lost to LSU. Did anybody really think we were going to beat them deep down? I was hopeful and even picked us to win, but you all had to know it was a long shot. The fact that we finished within 3 and could have won if not for all the missed holding calls I found surprising. Disappointed? Yes. But I still just don’t get why THIS game was a tipping point for so many people. I was more upset after the Florida loss because I feel like we maybe should have won that game. But the LSU game? A loss there shouldn’t have been a surprise.

26 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

If I’ve insulted anyone, I’m sorry. The point I was trying to make is that it seems like people have lost sight of loving Auburn and have gotten too caught up in wanting our football program to become Bama’s football program.

I guess I’m just shocked any Auburn graduate would act this way, and have a hard time imagining that the bulk of the graduates on here are the people doing it. I didn’t attend Auburn because of football. I attended Auburn because it was a beautiful school with a great spirit and great educational standards. It was as a student that I learned to love all of Auburn. If our chess team played for a national championship, I’d be right there cheering them on. I get so into football because it is a visible sport that we’ve had a lot of success in.

To me, it seemed more likely that the bulk of the whiners were non-graduates. Every non-graduate (I.e., sidewalk) Auburn fan I’ve ever met became a fan almost purely over sports, and their passion didn’t extend much beyond that. If your love for Auburn is purely based on sports, it would make sense that you’d only care about winning, and that you’d almost go so far as to say Auburn winning in football feels like a need.

But maybe I made too many assumptions. Maybe I’ve met the wrong kind of sidewalks. Maybe our alumni fans have lost sight of what Auburn values are about. Either way, I’m disappointed in the fact that I think many of you guys have become so jealous of the team across the state that you’ve set crazy standards for our program.

I mean, only a few weeks ago, we lost to a team that lost to LSU. Did anybody really think we were going to beat them deep down? I was hopeful and even picked us to win, but you all had to know it was a long shot. The fact that we finished within 3 and could have won if not for all the missed holding calls I found surprising. Disappointed? Yes. But I still just don’t get why THIS game was a tipping point for so many people. I was more upset after the Florida loss because I feel like we maybe should have won that game. But the LSU game? A loss there shouldn’t have been a surprise.

Thank you for the clarification. Previously, we just thought you might be a giant, oblivious douchebag. Now we're quite certain of it. :thumbsup:

43 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Wow lol.  Auburn man!

37 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

But I still just don’t get why THIS game was a tipping point for so many people.

That's a good question. There's certainly no rational reason to go bonkers because we lost by three points to the nation's #1 team at their place. There are other things to gripe about if griping is one's flavor of choice. The LSU game shouldn't be a tipping point for anybody.

35 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Keep pouring fuel on the fire Friction.

CALLING awb, see if you can twist this into something a positive to try to Bridge the Divide.  WOW

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's a good question. There's certainly no rational reason to go bonkers because we lost by three points to the nation's #1 team at their place. There are other things to gripe about if griping is one's flavor of choice. The LSU game shouldn't be a tipping point for anybody.

Ignore the rest of that $#itty post Mikey and cherry pick the one tiny sentence you could latch on to.  :bow:

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Well, you're right on the last sentence. The tipping point was long ago for objective observers. It's interesting that so many people finally got sick of Gus's ineptitude this week. Maybe because the stakes seemed higher to some? Maybe because the contrast between how good our defense is and how bad our offense is was that much more stark for the casual fan? Maybe because nobody believes this nonsense that our offense has been failing over and over again all these years because of anyone other than Gus? I dunno. But I do sense a stronger backlash from those outside the fanbase to this latest offensive catastrophe. This game wasn't a "tipping point" for anyone who's been paying attention, but it really shouldn't have been for anyone else, either. On that, you're right.

And sure, there are things to gripe about. But this is an Auburn football forum and as far as Auburn football things to gripe about, you're super duper wrong about that. As usual. We've got one of our best defenses ever. Our special teams are somewhere north of adequate. We are losing games because our offense plays well below its talent level. That is nobody's fault but Gus Malzahn's. If you don't like people talking about that, you should go somewhere else. 

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

Ignore the rest of that $#itty post Mikey and cherry pick the one tiny sentence you could latch on to.  :bow:

I liked the entire post, I thought it was spot-on. I just quoted a small part of it to save space. If it makes you happier I'll quote the entire thing, it is worth reading twice.

That's easy.

Playing favorites over talent, refusing to incorporate anything other than a high school passing game, hiring unqualified yes men on his offensive staff, not being able to count to 5, and I know I started with playing favorites over talent, but his refusal to even consider making a change at QB when his QB is playing on par with JJ6 and JF3. 

The real question is how ANYONE could still support the buger eater AT ALL?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you for the clarification. Previously, we just thought you might be a giant, oblivious douchebag. Now we're quite certain of it. :thumbsup:

If this isn’t harassment, I don’t know what is. I freakin apologized, and I’m now getting personally attacked... I made an assumption. I was wrong. I’m sorry I made it. Move on.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Keep pouring fuel on the fire Friction.

CALLING awb, see if you can twist this into something a positive to try to Bridge the Divide.  WOW

Don’t think you read my post. I apologized. 

I’m upset with the fan base for seeming fickle and having inflated expectations. It just seems like too many fans are dumping on our players and coaches over not even that bad of a loss.

I allowed my frustration to get the better of me and didn’t think carefully before assigning blame. 

But, now I’ve apologized, and you are still going after me. Starting to seem a little personal. It’s a college sports message board dude. There’s no need to get that personal.

13 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

If this isn’t harassment, I don’t know what is. I freakin apologized, and I’m now getting personally attacked... I made an assumption. I was wrong. I’m sorry I made it. Move on.

You're not fooling anyone. 

15 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

There is something to this.  He wants to win his way as to whatever it takes.

21 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

DELETE it then.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

There is something to this.  He wants to win his way as to whatever it takes.

In the past I've likened him to an action movie star who fancies himself a serious indie film actor. 

Like, all he's got to do is show up and collect those fat checks, but he needs people to appreciate his craft, man. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Check his history. Particularly his time at right before he went to Ark through the time until he left. Again, it depends on who you believe, but like I said, and Dag backed it up, he is not well-liked except for a patch in NW Ark. All coaches are polarizing to some degree, but when you factor in Paranoia (insecurity), maybe about how you got to where you're at, you might end up with GM. 

We might as well stop fussing at each other, nothing is going to change except 6 DAYS UNTIL TIPOFF!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived