NCAA vote allows athelete to profit

Zeek

https://www.espn.co.uk/college-sports/story/_/id/27957981/ncaa-votes-allow-athletes-profit-likeness

Please keep this in the AU Football thread because this will directly impact Auburn, and all universities, in so many ways.

The NCAA's top decision makers voted unanimously Tuesday to allow college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness "in a manner consistent with the collegiate model."

The board said directed the three separate divisions of college sports to immediately begin figuring out how to update their rules in a way that maintains a distinction between college and professional sports. The board members said in a release Tuesday that all changes should make sure student-athletes have the same opportunities to make money as all other students, maintain a priority of the education and the collegiate experience and ensure that rules are "transparent, focused and enforceable" and do not create a competitive imbalance. The board wants each of its division to implement new rules by January 2021.

"We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes," board chair Michel Drake said. "Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education. This modernization for the future is a natural extension of the numerous steps NCAA members have taken in recent years to improve support for student-athletes, including full cost of attendance and guaranteed scholarships."

The association's board of governors gathered on the campus of Emory University for their final regularly scheduled meeting of 2019 on Tuesday morning. Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith and Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman presented recommendations to the board members on how to modify the NCAA's current name, image and likeness rules. Smith and Ackerman have spent the past several months spearheading a working group that was appointed to evaluate the issue.

The working group was formed in May, months after a pair of politicians proposed bills to make the NCAA's current rules about endorsement deals illegal. Nancy Skinner, a democratic California state senator, wrote a bill that was signed into law in late September. That law will prohibit California schools from punishing their athletes for accepting endorsement money starting in January 2023.

More than a dozen states have expressed interest in creating laws similar to California's in the past several months. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis last week voiced his support for a bill introduced in his state that could go into effect sometime this summer if passed in its current form. The variety of solutions proposed in different states prompted NCAA leaders including president Mark Emmert to say that they would prefer a uniform national law or rule that applies to all members of their association.

U.S. Congressman Mark Walker (R-N.C.) proposed a bill to change the federal tax code in a way that would likely force the NCAA to give all student-athletes the rights to sell their name, image and likeness. The current proposal would create an unrestricted market for college athletes to seek endorsement deals. Walker said earlier this month that he hoped to bring his bill to a vote in early 2020, which could mean it would go into effect in January 2021.

Walker and Skinner both said they would be willing to modify their legislation or work with the NCAA to create new rules, but they felt legislative pressure was necessary to force college sports' leader to act.

Another federal bill that will likely allow for some NCAA regulation is expected soon. Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, a current Republic from Ohio and former college and professional football player, plans to introduce his own legislation in the coming months. Gonzalez played wide receiver at Ohio State during Smith's first two years as athletic director for the Buckeyes. Gonzalez said he has talked to Smith about ways to install "guard rails" to avoid unintended negative consequences while making what Gonzalez considers to be some necessary changes.

Gonzalez previously said he wanted to hear what Smith and Ackerman proposed at Tuesday's meeting before introducing new legislation.

The NCAA's typical legislative process runs from November through April. The deadline to propose new rules for the board's consideration is this week, but expectations have been made to consider late proposals in the past. After soliciting feedback from leaders of all three divisions of college sports, the board votes on proposed rules during their annual April meeting.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NCAA VIDEO GAMES PLZ NOW

YouTube is about to be flooded with college athletes making money

7 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

So we will get NCAA football games?

No.  No company can afford to make a college football game if they have to pay every player for their likeness.  The game would never pay for itself.

5 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

So we will get NCAA football games?

I'm sure it's a long way off. This is the specific issue that prevented them from coming out so now there's three questions to be asked.

Does EA Sports want to venture back into that space and how far are they from being able to produce? Is this something they've been sitting on and waiting to pounce?

What type of financial compensation will they have to give players? Will it be affordable to include every player on every team? Or will the compensation make it so that only special players likeness' are used? Will each player be paid equally?

Finally, how hard will it be for EA to get the rights with the colleges and ESPN or whatever commentators they want to use?

This is going to be an exciting development for sure. Whether it's positive or negative is unclear but man it'll be fascinating to follow.

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

No.  No company can afford to make a college football game if they have to pay every player for their likeness.  The game would never pay for itself.

I'm thinking it would work similar to the Madden games. Players make the same amount of money from Madden and it's usually an agreed upon sum to be split amongst those players. Someone will figure it out. The question is will they include all D1 programs like they have in the past.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm thinking it would work similar to the Madden games. Players make the same amount of money from Madden and it's usually an agreed upon sum to be split amongst those players. Someone will figure it out. The question is will they include all D1 programs like they have in the past.

The thing is that there are only 32 NFL teams.  There are 130 NCAA football teams.  The money doesn't work.

so bo made no money on techmo bowl? i guess he did it for his continuing legacy as to have bo was to kill other teams unless you were a dummy. but on a more serious note maybe we can get some more outstanding ncaa college games.

7 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

EA actually said before they were more than willing before to pay players for their likeness, etc before the game got shut down. I think u under estimate how much people spend on the online and multi team modes in sports games now 

No.  I understand there is a ton of money, but what you underestimate is the amount of money the companies require to make the game already and how much they profit.  They need games to be huge to make up for the other 100 games they develop that aren't huge

4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

The thing is that there are only 32 NFL teams.  There are 130 NCAA football teams.  The money doesn't work.

I imagine a shrewd negotiator can work it out to be X% of profits goes to players which is divided into X% each player.

we will see.  I personally think this is possibly one of the worst days in the history of college athletics.  There is no way they are going to pay each player equal %.  Plus agents and everything else.....  Ugh.... What about shoe contracts for basketball kids?  So if you sign with Nike you won't be coming to AU because you have to wear UA.

6 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

No.  I understand there is a ton of money, but what you underestimate is the amount of money the companies require to make the game already and how much they profit.  They need games to be huge to make up for the other 100 games they develop that aren't huge

And I can tell you that a new college football game would pay for itself, ten fold, it would probably break sales records if we’re being honest. They could give every scholarship athlete $1000 at every school and it would equal out to 11.2 million, they pay 52 million to the NFL and John madden alone. In the 2019 fiscal year EA has a net revenue of 4.95 billion

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

we will see.  I personally think this is possibly one of the worst days in the history of college athletics.  There is no way they are going to pay each player equal %.  Plus agents and everything else.....  Ugh.... What about shoe contracts for basketball kids?  So if you sign with Nike you won't be coming to AU because you have to wear UA.

My concern comes from a different avenue.

Let's say you're a 5* Quarterback with your own YouTube channel. When live streaming, viewers can donate to you (this is profiting off your likeness). There would be absolutely nothing preventing a major booster (let's say Yella Wood) from giving a recruit $100,000 with a "War Eagle" message.

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

so bo made no money on techmo bowl? i guess he did it for his continuing legacy as to have bo was to kill other teams unless you were a dummy. but on a more serious note maybe we can get some more outstanding ncaa college games.

Tecmo Bowl featured pro teams, so yes, he likely made money on it.

Since the other thread got deleted, I expect to get a royalty check in the mail for my likeness used for the fan in section three of Jordan-Hare.  I also accept Venmo and Paypal. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

My concern comes from a different avenue.

Let's say you're a 5* Quarterback with your own YouTube channel. When live streaming, viewers can donate to you (this is profiting off your likeness). There would be absolutely nothing preventing a major booster (let's say Yella Wood) from giving a recruit $100,000 with a "War Eagle" message.

exactly.  This is about to get crazy.  And the rich are going to get richer.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

exactly.  This is about to get crazy.  And the rich are going to get richer.

I hate it but it's a train that was coming; just didn't know it's arrival time.

My second team, UCF, should drastically benefit from this. 70k students means a lot of alumni and a tremendous future for all of their programs.

This could also help sports like wrestling where many athletes aren't on full ride scholarships.

It'll help some individuals but the NCAA has no idea what's coming.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Tecmo Bowl featured pro teams, so yes, he likely made money on it.

yes you are right. i am still brain muddied from staying up all night. i was way off on that one.

Just now, Zeek said:

I hate it but it's a train that was coming; just didn't know it's arrival time.

My second team, UCF, should drastically benefit from this. 70k students means a lot of alumni and a tremendous future for all of their programs.

This could also help sports like wrestling where many athletes aren't on full ride scholarships.

It'll help some individuals but the NCAA has no idea what's coming.

Yep, personally I wasn’t someone that wanted this to happen either, but with it seeming inevitable the bright side is getting a college game to play again.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

And I can tell you that a new college football game would pay for itself, ten fold, it would probably break sales records if we’re being honest. They could give every scholarship athlete $1000 at every school and it would equal out to 11.2 million, they pay 52 million to the NFL and John madden alone. In the 2019 fiscal year EA has a net revenue of 4.95 billion

So this is my wheelhouse seeing as I work in the video game industry.  Gonna throw in my two cents worth.

1) You may be overestimating the market a bit for NCAA football.  It would be big, but it never had the following that Madden does.  The NFL is far more important in big markets, especially the northeast, and the amount of gamers there are nothing to scoff at.

2) EA's net revenue is misleading a bit.  They haven't had a really big hit in a long time.  So much of their cash is based on legacy titles like Madden and FIFA.  Star Wars later this month may be OK, but based on recent iterations of the game and their sales, I'm not holding my breath.

3) $11.2M for every kid to have $1,000 equals 186k copies of the game.  That's not a ton necessarily, but it's also not a small number.  EA won't want to give that up.  Plus they'll have to figure out rights fees to the conferences, playoffs, commentators, etc.

With that, I pray they make one.  Nothing would make me happier than to hear that news next year at E3.  I'm just not holding my breath on it.

USC, Notre Dame, LSU, Ohio St.

I give you the 4 playoff teams from now till eternity. 

First out for eternity will be some TX team.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

So this is my wheelhouse seeing as I work in the video game industry.  Gonna throw in my two cents worth.

1) You may be overestimating the market a bit for NCAA football.  It would be big, but it never had the following that Madden does.  The NFL is far more important in big markets, especially the northeast, and the amount of gamers there are nothing to scoff at.

2) EA's net revenue is misleading a bit.  They haven't had a really big hit in a long time.  So much of their cash is based on legacy titles like Madden and FIFA.  Star Wars later this month may be OK, but based on recent iterations of the game and their sales, I'm not holding my breath.

3) $11.2M for every kid to have $1,000 equals 186k copies of the game.  That's not a ton necessarily, but it's also not a small number.  EA won't want to give that up.  Plus they'll have to figure out rights fees to the conferences, playoffs, commentators, etc.

With that, I pray they make one.  Nothing would make me happier than to hear that news next year at E3.  I'm just not holding my breath on it.

*Slides highly-unqualified but highly-enthusiastic resume over discreetly*

Just now, AUcivE09 said:

USC, Notre Dame, LSU, Ohio St.

I give you the 4 playoff teams from now till eternity. 

First out for eternity will be some TX team.

Nope.  There's still just 85 scholarships.  Recruits don't always pan out and a school can't just take every player.  We'll continue to see consolidation of talent at big schools like we have now, but not much more.

Archived