NCAA vote allows athelete to profit

Zeek

2 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

USC, Notre Dame, LSU, Ohio St.

I give you the 4 playoff teams from now till eternity. 

First out for eternity will be some TX team.

Some of these teams have already been buying the best players they can lol

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Nope.  There's still just 85 scholarships.  Recruits don't always pan out and a school can't just take every player.  We'll continue to see consolidation of talent at big schools like we have now, but not much more.

Thanks to the transfer portal, these teams will seek out the cream of the crop. After a year or two of Free Agency it wont matter if someone has to sit a year.

I do think it's ultimately a net positive for college athletics from the point of view of the athletes.  I do wonder if it will revolutionize how we as fans consume our content.  I don't know the breadth of "image and likeness" but I wonder if outlets could pay a player for more direct access to him and then offer their content behind paywalls that benefit both publication and player.  <-- Probably completely talking out of my *** on this one, but I know EA NCAAFOOTBALL is just a small ripple in this lake that just got opened up as far as applications of the measure.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Some of these teams have already been buying the best players they can lol

I agree, just now USC wont have to hide it!

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

So this is my wheelhouse seeing as I work in the video game industry.  Gonna throw in my two cents worth.

1) You may be overestimating the market a bit for NCAA football.  It would be big, but it never had the following that Madden does.  The NFL is far more important in big markets, especially the northeast, and the amount of gamers there are nothing to scoff at.

2) EA's net revenue is misleading a bit.  They haven't had a really big hit in a long time.  So much of their cash is based on legacy titles like Madden and FIFA.  Star Wars later this month may be OK, but based on recent iterations of the game and their sales, I'm not holding my breath.

3) $11.2M for every kid to have $1,000 equals 186k copies of the game.  That's not a ton necessarily, but it's also not a small number.  EA won't want to give that up.  Plus they'll have to figure out rights fees to the conferences, playoffs, commentators, etc.

With that, I pray they make one.  Nothing would make me happier than to hear that news next year at E3.  I'm just not holding my breath on it.

I can see these points forsure! However my thinking is

1. College football has grown significantly since the last installment of the game, and I think that is a big deal

2. No disagreement here but if there’s a company that could afford to take the risk it would probably be EA.

3. I can see that as well, however just in madden they give out 10,000 royalty checks to the players, I don’t know how much they would offer players but it wouldn’t be that much. Offering a college student any type of money would be their strength here.

My major question regarding the potential of a video game is this, has EA been planning for this day? It seems hard to believe that they wouldn't have tentatively been considering plans for such a day.

A good indicator of just how pathetically bad this will be for college football as we have known it...the majority of posts in this thread so far are worrying about a freaking video game revival.

For me, it depends on how its handled. If its just a free-for-all, highest-bidder ESPN-hyped sh*t show year in and year out...color me gone.

Things I want to see for sure if we get a video game:

1. All D1 Teams
  2. Career mode with a storyline (for a player and for a coach)
  3. Recruiting classes editable and sharable
  4. College Game Day
  5. Option to extend the playoff after a few seasons
  6. Vertical integration with Madden. Simply put, being able to carry a player over.
  7. I loved the crowd noise shaking the camera and stadiums having rankings of their own
  8. Stadium expansion
  9. Team builder
  10. Legacy teams honoring some of the greatest college football teams we never got to play with
  11. Transfer Portal for unhappy players
  12. Interactive and realistic recruiting experience
  13. Hiring assistant coaches all the way down to QB coach
  14. Medical redshirts
  15. Pat McAfee as a commentator

Being the greatest NCAA player ever on PlayStation, I'm surprised I wasn't invited to some sort of panel about this.....

Now it's time to pretend that now all parity leaves football and the richest schools win!

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

A good indicator of just how pathetically bad this will be for college football as we have known it...the majority of posts in this thread so far are worrying about a freaking video game revival.

For me, it depends on how its handled. If its just a free-for-all, highest-bidder ESPN-hyped sh*t show year in and year out...color me gone.

It's the most fun thing to talk about and easiest conceptualize. The fallout from this is unknown and out of our hands as fans. 

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

This thread is losing.

Then why post? Most of us even said we didn’t want this to happen but the silver lining is a chance at something nostalgic coming back that we enjoy, don’t know what the problem with that is. WE aren’t going to change anything lol

Two pages of video game talk lol. Flash better start Patent some stuff. He can seriously make some money although I suspect none of this will take place till he graduates 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Two pages of video game talk lol. Flash better start Patent some stuff. He can seriously make some money although I suspect none of this will take place till he graduates 

I'm turning the speed threshold all the way to 0 and blazing past people with flash and worm

But no lie I might have to cop a console if college football comes back. I only care for 2k and college sports tbh.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

But no lie I might have to cop a console if college football comes back. I only care for 2k and college sports tbh.

I'd play NCAA Basketball as well if it has Bruce Pearl being animated af on the sideline 

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'd play NCAA Basketball as well if it has Bruce Pearl being animated af on the sideline 

I was the proud owner of one of the two installments of the NCAA baseball games too haha.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

lets put auburn football on hold for a couple of years so the lad can get paid....................i would certainly buy something if it  helped him legally.

As a former college wrestler this would have been awesome and possibly saved my Junior and Senior season. Not going to bore everyone with my life story but finances and a torn labrum/bicep pushed me into an early 'retirement' if you'd call it that. There were plenty of alumni and boosters who would have happily supported me during that difficult time and helped me return to play out my eligibility.

Now, I understand not every athlete would have that support or receive it for that positive of a reason but man I could have left college without any debt. Most wrestling teams receive roughly 5 full ride scholarships which they then split up amongst numerous athletes (similar situations happen with other sports my wife was a soccer player in a similar situation). We wouldn't have made the millions that these guys did but we could have focused on our classes better and not worked so many side gigs/hustles.

So, I'm torn on this issue. I fear it's going to benefit those who were already living rather cushy college lives while hurting the overall institution. The players almost have to have bank accounts that can be monitored directly and easily by the NCAA or governing body. Likeness (autographs, video games, commercials, etc.) is one thing but direct payments are a completely different situation. Also, if these kids can't sign agents they will be taken advantage of to a ridiculous degree. 

Long as I can create my own playbook I'm set. One year I got up to being ranked 7th x nationally. I want to say 2013

Archived