Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just didn't go to practice today per Marcello. Hasn't left the team yet. Players historically in this situation may or may not turn out to leave. Leaving is not a forgone conclusion.

Just now, auburnphan said:

More like blowing up

waiting to see a beat writer confirm... of course 247 made a private article about JG

Just now, ellitor said:

Just didn't go to practice today per Marcello. Players historicaslly in this situation may or may not turn out to leave. Leaving is not a forgone conclusion.

Thanks E. Hoping he stays...

I wouldn’t fault the decision, but the timing is questionable. It’s not like he can go anywhere else right now, and he’s one ankle twist or jammed finger from being the starter. 

Rivals AU seems to think it is a forgone conclusion that he is gone as soon as the season is over. They have been saying it for weeks. 
I do not see the benefit of leaving now. I am sure he is mad but where can you go at this point? May as well ride the pine with your friends and leave in 2 months. 

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just didn't go to practice today per Marcello. Hasn't left the team yet. Players historically in this situation may or may not turn out to leave. Leaving is not a forgone conclusion.

I don’t know if you saw it but when we got close on that first possession and they made a personal change Joey headed in and Gus stopped him and sent him back. It was plain to see that Joey had been promised that situation if it occurred and then Gus broke his word. Pretty sure that’s the way Gus works. He promises on ring but then backs out when the time come up. I could see Joey was upset with Gus’s action. Look for others on the team to start turning as well could be a repeat of 2012 because Gus is playing favorites over the good of he team.  

4 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

I would bail.  If I couldn't get a look over someone completing 40% of his passes, no reason to waste my time.  

There's absolutely 0 benefit to leaving now. If he is going to leave then January or after Spring ball makes much more sense.

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I wouldn’t fault the decision, but the timing is questionable. It’s not like he can go anywhere else right now, and he’s one ankle twist or jammed finger from being the starter. 

He has three years left to get a fair chance like he was promised here and lied too. There comes a time when you have to say this just isn’t right and Joey has about reached that point. Don’t be surprised to see it spread like wildfire. 

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don’t know if you saw it but when we got close on that first possession and they made a personal change Joey headed in and Gus stopped him and sent him back. It was plain to see that Joey had been promised that situation if it occurred and then Gus broke his word. Pretty sure that’s the way Gus works. He promises on ring but then backs out when the time come up. I could see Joey was upset with Gus’s action. Look for others on the team to start turning as well could be a repeat of 2012 because Gus is playing favorites over the good of he team.  

If Matthew Hill and all of our running backs stay I’ll be amazed. 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Rivals AU seems to think it is a forgone conclusion that he is gone as soon as the season is over.

Not the way JGT worded it tonight. Thinks he leaves at some point though.

I figured he would transfer after the season if Bo took hold of the job and ran with it. Gus has been saying since the summer that he'll have a role in the offense, here we are heading into November and he's lucky to get 5 snaps a game. He probably feels similar to how Justin Fields felt last year and I totally get it.

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Twitter is rumbling...

lol why did you use a rando dude from Auburn twitter to cite though?! 

12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Could not blame the young man at all. Good luck Joey you deserved much more than this imbecile of a coach we have at AU.

He should go to SMU where the guy he committed to first is at. Offense looks absolutely nothing like the clown one we run. Sonny Dykes is to throwing the football as Gus is to running it. He would develop a lot more immensely as a passer there then he ever would at AU under Gus. I do not blame him one bit if he does transfer. Dude is immensely talented.

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

He has three years left

2. He's already redshirted. If he transfers as an undergrad he would be sitting his RS Soph year. If he graduates first so he could play immediately upon transfer it would be at the end of his RS Soph year.

Joey should leave. That’s what’s best for his future at this point. I would hate to see him go but he needs to be in an environment where there are better opportunities for him. That goes for any player Gus continues to underutilize. The threat that this brings to the Auburn Football program is the scariest imo. It’s nothing but bait for other schools to use to recruit against us and it’s already paid off for them in the past.  This is why the guy needs to get gone. Idc how long the transition period may be for a new coach. 

8 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

We don't know he was promised anything especially since JGT & JLee says he hasn't been so posting this as fact is ill advised.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol why did you use a rando dude from Auburn twitter to cite though?! 

Not any “big sources” saying too much other than he missed practice 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Not any “big sources” saying too much other than he missed practice 

hahahahaha I was just messing around but I figured all the Auburn reporters info was behind a pay wall or some ish.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If Matthew Hill and all of our running backs stay I’ll be amazed. 

I wouldnt be surprised if Joiner transferred with Williams, MAR, Whitlow, and Shivers already on the roster and Bigsby coming in.

nothing on al.com. rant says brandon said he is mulling his future. others say he is already gone. the comments are all over the place.

Archived