Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

Just now, TigerPAC said:

just curious and then i've got work to do.......can JG come back to AU if coach change is made sooner than later?

Probably wouldn’t want to but the answer is yes

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Gatewood's departure leaves Auburn without much depth at quarterback. Cord Sandberg is expected to serve as Nix's backup, but the offensive staff will likely utilize running backs JaTarvious Whitlow or D.J. Williams in Wildcat packages more often if Nix were to be injured during the final month of the season.

This is a deja vu situation....  OH yeah, because the Wildcat works so well.  

Ugh.  Well my annual pilgrimage to Auburn will definitely be about Auburn as always.  Some Niffer's Corn Nuggets, Lemonade, finding Aubie to show my little girl, but man, this is hurt.

We better not tank vs. Ole Sis.

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

What about sick, injured and getting treatment, family problem, conflict with a class or any of a hundred other reasons a player might miss practice?  

In the Twitter world, only slightly less popular than Snapchat for the millennials, there are plenty of clues to be found. Our eyes know the conditions are sadly ripe, for many reasons, even if we can't know the whole story. Saturday may have been the final straw, regardless of the previous week's interview. Heartbreaking if true, because a recently-posted wonderful article about Kristi's role as team mom specifically mentioned what a great kid JG is and how much she personally thinks of him. 

Just now, TigerPAC said:

just curious and then i've got work to do.......can JG come back to AU if coach change is made sooner than later?

A coaching change wouldn’t happen fast enough for that. Buyout wise, I can’t see Gus going anywhere until he completely tanks next season. 

2 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

not sure why JJ is piping up so much..

yeah, i agree 100%...JJ had the "yips" anyone who played baseball knows what the "yips" are....no amount of coaching could fix JJ because his problem was psychological

42 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

I guess the arm pull by Gus was the moment Joey said "He'll never let me play meaningful time here". So sad but he will be a huge addition to whatever team he goes to. Best wishes to him.

That and Gus saying he never thought about changing QBs in the Fla or LSU games. Why do that in public ? This whole thing sucks.

It’s not surprising with the transfer landscape , but this is painful . Joey should have received a fair shake and he did not . Good luck to him . 

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

A coaching change wouldn’t happen fast enough for that. Buyout wise, I can’t see Gus going anywhere until he completely tanks next season. 

Buyout is no objective. Money was available last year . Gus cried his way out of it for 1 year to make a change. You can beat at the end of this year Gus will be fired for a lot less money than he could have gotten last year. 

Just now, IronMan70 said:

That and Gus saying he never thought about changing QBs in the Fla or LSU games. Why do that in public ? This whole thing sucks.

This . I know it’s been said , but The name Nix kept him on the field . Bo has flat out stunk for most of the year and Qb competition should have been opened back up or Joey should have been given a look during the 2 s*** show loses . Damn Gus 

4 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

yeah, i agree 100%...JJ had the "yips" anyone who played baseball knows what the "yips" are....no amount of coaching could fix JJ because his problem was psychological

But did Gus give JJ the yips ? I think he has given many the yips? Heck he has even giving me the yips. I get so made watching this total idiot , I’m lost for words at times. 

2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Two last straws. As irate as I was, all I could think about was, "How must that feel to him?"

1 minute ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This . I know it’s been said , but The name Nix kept him on the field . Bo has flat out stunk for most of the year and Qb competition should have been opened back up or Joey should have been given a look during the 2 s*** show loses . Damn Gus 

Absolutely no doubt Pat has made it clear “ no competition for Bo no matter what” just shows what They at really is and it’s not an Auburn man.

9 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Total BS . He has done everything asked of him. He has been lied to since day one. When Gus recruited him he promised him the moon. Then when season game he promised him good playing time. Gus is plainly a liar of the first degree. Gus plays the part of a good Godly man but in reality he is underhanded and a liar to his players, to recruits and their families, to the fans and to Auburn . He is a disgrace and definitely not an Auburn man that lives by the creed. They can’t fire him soon enough. I hope others like Arky see how sorry Gus is and no one hires him and he can go work in a Huddle House . I hope the rest of the good players have Joeys back and sit out this week against OM. That would be justice served. 

Lied to him when he was recruited? Every coach in America does this. Their job is to sell their program and convince you to come there. 

4 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

And that's Gus' personality. He's a great guy but he is so fearful of hurting feelings. He views sitting players as "hurtful to kids" instead of a method of correction and refocusing.

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Buyout is no objective. Money was available last year . Gus cried his way out of it for 1 year to make a change. You can beat at the end of this year Gus will be fired for a lot less money than he could have gotten last year. 

One can only hope so

3 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Lied to him when he was recruited? Every coach in America does this. Their job is to sell their program and convince you to come there. 

So you think that ok ? Maybe you should question your morals. In my world lying to get someone to do something you want them to is wrong. Period. The point I was making many other told Joey they could not promise QB but definitely wanted him at other positions. They didn’t lie.

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So you think that ok ? Maybe you should question your morals. In my world lying to get someone to do something you want them to is wrong. Period. The point I was making many other told Joey they could promise QB but definitely wanted him at other positions. They didn’t lie.

I didn't say it was ok but it happens everytime a coach walks into a kids house and on every visit. 

15 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

No one knows this. Not taking up for GM or anyone on the staff but not a single one of us knows what is going on or has watched a full practice. JG could have met with the coaches and asked about his role or he could have walked in and said if he isn't starting against Ole Miss he is leaving. Stuff will come out but it isn't time to panic. Probably time to really wonder WTH is going on but not panic yet. 

Lol at the not taking up line. Clearly Gus has hired you to do an impossible job and you decided to take the job anyway

17 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

There was another 4 star QB the GM didn't develop that transferred out a couple of years ago. How is that working out? He can't start at a MAC school. I wish JG the best but sometimes they are not as great as we think they are.

In fairness almost none of us wanted him to transfer.  We just wanted him to play when the current situation warranted.  People are only giving him props because it's obvious something fishy, that probably NOBODY would have been able to overcome, is going on.  He may not be great, he may be.  ....but we never got a chance to find out.

Just now, RHN1975 said:

I didn't say it was ok but it happens everytime a coach walks into a kids house and on every visit. 

As I said it doesn’t happen all the time. Gates was well sought after by a lot of coaches but they wound promise the QB position , Gus did and cost Joey two years of his college playing time. No excuses Gus is a liar and a looser.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

The Gus bus is not for fans but to throw his players under after he coaches his offense to another failed performance.

Yep, Gus Bus is taking on a whole new meaning.

52 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Lol, figure JJ is the best person to give advice in this situation.

image.pngimage.png

All right. We now need a WOW button like (cough, cough) Facebook. Mods, PLEASE. My whole being has yearned for one for too long and this is off the chains. I can't deal with the shock revelation with the present icons....

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮

Just now, AUsince72 said:

In fairness almost none of us wanted him to transfer.  We just wanted him to play when the current situation warranted.  People are only giving him props because it's obvious something fishy, that probably NOBODY would have been able to overcome, is going on.  He may not be great, he may be.  ....but we never got a chance to find out.

My only point was we do not know everything the coaches know. None of us know why he was pulled back from going in at LSU. He had a package he was supposed to run but if LSU's defense was set to counter that package why would you run it. None of us are in the film room or QB meetings. I would have loved to have seen him get a shot to get something ging at UF or LSU but there could be a lot more to it than just GM being stubborn. 

Archived