Jump to content
Null

Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)


Recommended Posts





  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gatewood was the 1st committed student athlete for the entering class of 18 and Worm was the 2nd. My heart melts today because I considered them as the leaders of the class. They helped bring a lot of

Its  Im here... Its just been tough so Ive been keeping quiet. Nobody can run me off, I don't scare that easy lol

Had to pop in when this broke and just whisper: "My thread about Joey Gatewood being played by the AU Coaching Staff" that Fiddy called 'In poor taste' and some mod seemed to agree with doesn't s

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

As I said it doesn’t happen all the time. Gates was well sought after by a lot of coaches but they wound promise the QB position , Gus did and cost Joey two years of his college playing time. No excuses Gus is a liar and a looser.

And if GM told him he would play QB at AU he didn't lie to him. He played QB at AU. JG made the decision to come here. 

 

I have a daughter going through the process now. I know what kind of stuff coaches say. That also why we are looking at schools and not coaches because you had better be happy at the school if sports don't work out. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

My only point was we do not know everything the coaches know. None of us know why he was pulled back from going in at LSU. He had a package he was supposed to run but if LSU's defense was set to counter that package why would you run it. None of us are in the film room or QB meetings. I would have loved to have seen him get a shot to get something ging at UF or LSU but there could be a lot more to it than just GM being stubborn. 

I follow your logic here and that's cool.

Only point I'll contend is regarding Gus pulling him back.

You're right that we don't exactly know why.  However, we know that he definitely did not pull him due to any defensive alignment or personnel since nobody was even lined up yet and LSU was waiting to see what Auburn was going to do.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tigerfangs said:

So Jeremy Johnson referred to himself as a “goat”.... geez, greatly overwhelmed all times maybe

I'm sorry but I had to chuckle at that too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Per Tom Greene:   Auburn has signed 11 qbs under gussie, only 3 finished at Auburn as qbs and 2 of those were juco’s

This.  #'s don't lie; this is a BAD BAD BAD stat for an "offensive guru"

This will hurt any recruiting this year for sure if CGM is still around.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

My only point was we do not know everything the coaches know. None of us know why he was pulled back from going in at LSU. He had a package he was supposed to run but if LSU's defense was set to counter that package why would you run it. None of us are in the film room or QB meetings. I would have loved to have seen him get a shot to get something ging at UF or LSU but there could be a lot more to it than just GM being stubborn. 

No it was plain to see that the whole new package that Joey goes with went in except Joey cause Bo didn’t come out that’s why Joey was held and if you remember Bo tried to run it and got stuffed . Then  Boobie came into wildcat the next play. So my question is why not wildcat Joey?He averages more yards per carry than Whitlow . He is bigger than Whitlow and Whitlow was hurt.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I follow your logic here and that's cool.

Only point I'll contend is regarding Gus pulling him back.

You're right that we don't exactly know why.  However, we know that he definitely did not pull him due to any defensive alignment or personnel since nobody was even lined up yet and LSU was waiting to see what Auburn was going to do.

That is true. It could have been personel or it could have been something LSU had done in other games. It may have been JG jumping the gun when in that situation everyone knew we weren't going to him. My only point is we don't know. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Joey nothing but the best! I hope he kills it at his next school. This kid stood with AU for so long and recruited for us in a major way. I'm sorry that he was treated this way. No, i'm not saying to pull Bo but there's zero question that he should have gotten more of an opportunity to help us in games this year. To be projected as the #1 QB before the season and have to sit through lackluster performances and not be given an opportunity to see if he could help the team is flat out wrong! 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

There was another 4 star QB the GM didn't develop that transferred out a couple of years ago. How is that working out? He can't start at a MAC school. I wish JG the best but sometimes they are not as great as we think they are.

You know what would've been nice...?

 

TO FIND OUT IF HE WAS A GOOD AS WE THOUGHT HE WAS!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tampa Tiger said:

This.  #'s don't lie; this is a BAD BAD BAD stat for an "offensive guru"

This will hurt any recruiting this year for sure if CGM is still around.

Good point.

It strikes me funny that some think our message board posting turns away recruits but skirt around things like this that REALLY DOES hurt in recruiting. 

I can PROMISE you that I've not crossed paths with any recruits (unless at a mall or airport and didn't know) but Gus comes across EVERY one of them.

Which is more likely to hurt recruiting?  ....especially quality QBs.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No it was plain to see that the whole new package that Joey goes with went in except Joey cause Bo didn’t come out that’s why Joey was held and if you remember Bo tried to run it and got stuffed . Then  Boobie came into wildcat the next play. So my question is why not wildcat Joey?He averages more yards per carry than Whitlow . He is bigger than Whitlow and Whitlow was hurt.

Seriously? You are comparing JG ypc to Whitlows? A back up to the guy getting most of the carries? If thats the case Harold Joiner deserves the Heisman since he is avg almost 10 ypc. By the way JG only avs .2ypc more than Whitlow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Per Tom Greene:   Auburn has signed 11 qbs under gussie, only 3 finished at Auburn as qbs and 2 of those were juco’s

I would love to see Kirby Smart's record as well as Nick Saban's with QB's finishing at their schools.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

Seriously? You are comparing JG ypc to Whitlows? A back up to the guy getting most of the carries? If thats the case Harold Joiner deserves the Heisman since he is avg almost 10 ypc. By the way JG only avs .2ypc more than Whitlow. 

I suspect the key is the Boobee is hurt part, regardless of YPC, etc.  Sorry but this smells like the 2017 SECCG.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

As I said it doesn’t happen all the time. Gates was well sought after by a lot of coaches but they wound promise the QB position , Gus did and cost Joey two years of his college playing time. No excuses Gus is a liar and a looser.

*loser

We all have our flaws...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

That is true. It could have been personel or it could have been something LSU had done in other games. It may have been JG jumping the gun when in that situation everyone knew we weren't going to him. My only point is we don't know. 

What we do know is the starter going 40% with multiple picks and the guy doesn't even sniff the field. If you, as a coach don't even attempt to try something different and give your backup who, in your own words was a highly talented capable 1b QB a shot,  then your a lying ass moron.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not uncommon for the #2 QB backup to a freshman or soph to leave.....Jalen says hi.....but Gus could have done a better job of finding another role for JG though I'm guessing that QB was JG's goal and running a few wildcat plays or moving to another position was not acceptable.....which is easy to see.  .

Hate to see him go and hope JG does well wherever he ends up.   . 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ellitor changed the title to Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)



×
×
  • Create New...