Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Kirby has been the coach for 2 years right?

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

This is his fourth actually.  And so far every single quarterback he has had has transferred out (minus Fromm), including two 5*'s and two 4*'s.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I second this motion. The guy can obviously build a football program. 

I"m certainly sold on him. If you can get a program like Minn winning games then think what he could do with better recruits and facilities. Plus, i like his attitude. Dude likes to keep the pedal to the metal on offense when the they're rolling. He'll drop 70 if his offense can. 

2 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

He did and I bought it at the time but it could also be coach speak. How would it have looked or sounded to JG if Gus said this true freshman came in here and completely outperformed this guy and earned the spot. 

So if you buy this as coach speak then pray tell me why Gus didn’t go out and get one of the many transfers that were out there?

3 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

He did and I bought it at the time but it could also be coach speak. How would it have looked or sounded to JG if Gus said this true freshman came in here and completely outperformed this guy and earned the spot. 

At the time it would have sounded like Bo was a great QB....

but we know that's not true now, sooo.... ?

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

FWIW, every coach says the competition is close in almost every situation. Keeps the number 2 guy hopeful and working. Bo led a miracle comeback against a great Oregon team In his first start and led us to 5 other victories. Our two losses were sad offensive performances but he was in two of the nations most intimidating venues against great defenses. I wish Joey nothing but the best. 

Miracle? How? And he didn't lead it, that was more whitlow than anybody but the offensive struggles was in that game as well

1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

Oh so I guess the fact Whitlow has scored time and time again from the wildcat inclcuding when he was completely gassed against Oregon doesnt make a difference. Had you said put DJ back there I could see your point. 

Ok Gus I doesn’t think there is much use to reason with you. Your a Gus nan through and through and exactly the type person that constantly holds AU back because of your fear to move forward. Tell Kristy we said hi.

I don’t get it.  He has played in 7 games so he has used a year of eligibility.  Why not wait until the end of the season to enter the transfer portal?  That sure would look better to the teams that might want him.  I know he was bound to be upset with the way things have unfolded but I was raised to believe you don’t quit on your team in the middle of the season.  I hope he reconsiders and stays till the end of the year at least.  

3 minutes ago, Tampa Tiger said:

The sad thing is, if you agree with JJ or not, we are potentially adding another QB (Gatewood) to the Twitter/Facebook anti-Gus rants, where it will hit us hard in recruiting anyone serious moving forward.

It's kinda like the guy that girls knew had a reputation.  Gus now has a reputation.  How long can Greene continue to ignore the mounting swirl of chit chat?  Not good.

Exactly! 

Again, my new pet peeve I guess, THAT will hurt recruiting 99.99999% more than anything "that idiot 72 said on AUFamily".  And giving me even 0.00001% chance of affecting recruiting is giving myself WAY too much credit. 

Just now, weagl1 said:

I don’t get it.  He has played in 7 games so he has used a year of eligibility.  Why not wait until the end of the season to enter the transfer portal?  That sure would look better to the teams that might want him.  I know he was bound to be upset with the way things have unfolded but I was raised to believe you don’t quit on your team in the middle of the season.  I hope he reconsiders and stays till the end of the year at least.  

What’s the point of practicing with a team when you’re not even going to see the field? Quitting now can at least ensure he’ll be healthy for wherever he lands. 

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

Because it’s a statement . Why should he hang around to clean up after Bo goes down?

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Gus only takes 3 questions and leaves after four minutes.  After being late for the conference call.

Softball questions?

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

FINALLY!

I was waiting to start the Cord Sandberg arguments!  Yay!!!!!

1 minute ago I saw about this on twitter. 

So I'm late the game... what in the world ? 

I think I can guess, but I'd be wrong, likely. Still... 

From my research, in his 4th year as head coach, Kirby Smart has not had one quarterback stick with the team for more than one year aside from Fromm.  This includes two 5 *'s and two 4*'s.  Nick Saban in his 13th year has had 12 quarterbacks transfer.  Why even mention this?  Transfers happen and will happen even further as we move forward in the transfer portal days.  We all assumed Gatewood would transfer eventually.  I hate it, and I think he is uber talented, but not surprised.

If Gatewood does end up transferring I wish him nothing but the best and will always be a fan of his.  War Eagle Joey!

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So if you buy this as coach speak then pray tell me why Gus didn’t go out and get one of the many transfers that were out there?

AU recruited two of them and they went to Miami and Missouri. The one at Miami can't lock up te starting job their and I bet the one at MIssouri wishes he had come here since they have gotten pass happy. 

4 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I think the prevailing theory is he felt betrayed.  This may have been more personal than business. 

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Gus only takes 3 questions and leaves after four minutes.  After being late for the conference call.

What 3 questions?

I hope one them was, "Do you prefer Bekins or Mayflower?"

2 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

AU recruited two of them and they went to Miami and Missouri. The one at Miami can't lock up te starting job their and I bet the one at MIssouri wishes he had come here since they have gotten pass happy. 

That’s bull they recruited AU but didn’t get any love. Also why would any good proven QB disgrace himself playing for a clown looser like Gus? And I think I told you by while ago Gus. Don’t you have practice or something?

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

What 3 questions?

Scattered? 

Smothered?

Covered?

10 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I"m certainly sold on him. If you can get a program like Minn winning games then think what he could do with better recruits and facilities. Plus, i like his attitude. Dude likes to keep the pedal to the metal on offense when the they're rolling. He'll drop 70 if his offense can. 

I agree. It may not be us that get him but a big time school is going to come calling eventually. I wanted him a few yards back when he was at Western Michigan and I know at that time a lot of people didn’t because he wasn’t proven. I think after what he’s shown at Minnesota, he has proven enough to get a real shot somewhere. 

Archived