Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

From my research, in his 4th year as head coach, Kirby Smart has not had one quarterback stick with the team for more than one year aside from Fromm.  This includes two 5 *'s and two 4*'s.  Nick Saban in his 13th year has had 12 quarterbacks transfer.  Why even mention this?  Transfers happen and will happen even further as we move forward in the transfer portal days.  We all assumed Gatewood would transfer eventually.  I hate it, and I think he is uber talented, but not surprised.

If Gatewood does end up transferring I wish him nothing but the best and will always be a fan of his.  War Eagle Joey!

These coaches didn't have QB's leave because of other QB's bad play, it was vice versa because other QB's play was good they knew opportunity wasn't there. This is not close to that, hence the dysfunction. These situations aren't comparable

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Does it matter if he practices or not?

maybe some personal issues.

maybe classwork.

Maybe we don’t know.

Or maybe some of us are just better at reading the tea leaves than others.

bus_fire.gif

11 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

There you go using common sense again like you think these Gus apologist will understand. It is quite obvious Gus doesn’t understand QB talent to start with and cannot coach up a QB at all. 

But I see. You are an expert on QB talent. 

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

From my research, in his 4th year as head coach, Kirby Smart has not had one quarterback stick with the team for more than one year aside from Fromm.  This includes two 5 *'s and two 4*'s.  Nick Saban in his 13th year has had 12 quarterbacks transfer.  Why even mention this?  Transfers happen and will happen even further as we move forward in the transfer portal days.  We all assumed Gatewood would transfer eventually.  I hate it, and I think he is uber talented, but not surprised.

If Gatewood does end up transferring I wish him nothing but the best and will always be a fan of his.  War Eagle Joey!

How many of those transferred mid season when they were the clear #2? I’m genuinely curious.

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Ok let’s move over to basketball board where we actually have a good coach that is also an honorable man to go along with it.

damn ready for dat!!!!!!! Let Harbert fix his mistake

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

That’s bull they recruited AU but didn’t get any love. Also why would any good proven QB disgrace himself playing for a clown looser like Gus? And I think I told you by while ago Gus. Don’t you have practice or something?

Dang I am glad we found the insider of the program. So you were there while they were being recruited. How did you have time when you were breaking down all the film of prospective QB's and spending time watching the current ones to know exactly what is going on?

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

These coaches didn't have QB's leave because of other QB's bad play, it was vice versa because other QB's play was good they knew opportunity wasn't there. This is not close to that, hence the dysfunction. These situations aren't comparable

That is fair.  I just wanted to posts those stats.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

How many of those transferred mid season when they were the clear #2? I’m genuinely curious.

I am not sure to be honest.

5 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I don’t get it.  He has played in 7 games so he has used a year of eligibility.  Why not wait until the end of the season to enter the transfer portal?  That sure would look better to the teams that might want him.  I know he was bound to be upset with the way things have unfolded but I was raised to believe you don’t quit on your team in the middle of the season.  I hope he reconsiders and stays till the end of the year at least.  

I don't blame him. It would be nice to finish things out but when your HC says to the media he had zero intentions of playing him in two key games after selling the media that it was a close QB race before the season...yeah i don't blame Joey. I know coaches sell kids but Joey has always been all AU. I'm sure that statement just broke that kid especially when I promise you Gus was telling him some BS that he would have a chance to contribute more. Heck he even told the media Joey would be more of a factor after Gus failed to use him in the Florida game. Then you follow it up with no i NEVER thought about putting Joey in when Bo was struggling. How can you trust your coach? At least be a MF man and tell me straight up what the deal is! Gus gives coach speak for every other question....why say that when you clearly have 2 young QBs with the #1 a true freshman and struggling. You need to keep both of them confident. If I was Joey's teammate i would understand and he'd have my full support. I think he has that as many former players reported the information last night and understand. Many of them wanted him to start. 

2 minutes ago, RHN1975 said:

Dang I am glad we found the insider of the program. So you were there while they were being recruited. How did you have time when you were breaking down all the film of prospective QB's and spending time watching the current ones to know exactly what is going on?

By Gus 

Malzahn: Gatewood left Auburn because he wants to be starting QB

11 minutes ago

Joey Gatewood is gone.

The Auburn backup quarterback wants to find a school where he can be a starting quarterback, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Wednesday on the SEC coaches' teleconference. 

"He's just at a point now where he feels like he wants to be a starting quarterback and needs to start looking for schools to find a spot," the seventh-year Auburn coach said. "He's a fine young man and I really appreciate everything he's done for our program."

Gatewood met with Malzahn and staff members in the early afternoon Tuesday to discuss his future. Gatewood's discussion with Malzahn and other staffers at Auburn came on the heels of a sub-par performance by the offense in which Gatewood's role was diminished as a "package" quarterback behind starter Bo Nix.

Nix struggled in losses at LSU and Florida, where he combined to hit 41.9 percent of his passes and threw two touchdown with four interceptions. Malzahn was asked Sunday at a press conference if he has or will consider a change at quarterback.

“Well, I mean, we’re going to do what’s best for our team, but right now a lot of the things — Bo was put in some pretty tough situations on nine third-down-and-10-plus (at LSU), and there was some things that he would like to have back, but there were also some things that he did well,” Malzahn said. “So he’ll continue to improve. That’s how we’re looking at it.”

Nix and Gatewood battled for the starting job during preseason camp, with Nix emerging as the victor in mid-August. Nix became the first true freshman quarterback to start for Auburn in a season opener since 1946.

Members of Auburn's leadership council, which includes defensive tackle Derrick Brown, were asked to try to convince Gatewood to stay on the Plains, sources tell Auburn Undercover. It's not clear if that meeting with the council and Gatewood occurred, however.

Gatewood is 5 of 7 passing for 54 yards and two touchdowns to go along with 29 rushes for 148 yards and three touchdowns this season. He has mostly been utilized in short-yardage situations, special packages in the red zone and late in blowout victories against Arkansas and Mississippi State.

The former 4-star prospect out of Bartram Trail High in Jacksonville, Florida was rated the nation's No. 1 athlete in the class of 2018, according to the 247Sports Composite. He sat out the 2018 season at Auburn, and will have to sit out the 2020 season if he transfers to an FBS program.

Gatewood's departure leaves Auburn without much depth at quarterback. Cord Sandberg is expected to serve as Nix's backup, but the offensive staff will likely utilize running backsJaTarvious Whitlow or D.J. Williams in Wildcat packages more often if Nix were to be injured during the final month of the season.

Both Whitlow and Williams played quarterback in high school. Sandberg is attending Auburn to mostly prepare himself for a career in coaching, and his arm strength is a huge question mark.

*** Get 1 MONTH of VIP access for $1 and receive the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Gus-Malzahn-Auburn-Tigers-quarterback-Joey-Gatewood-left-team-because-he-wants-to-be-starting-quarterback-137747084/

22 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

That will be at least 2021, if he transfers to any FBS school 

I don't know he might get a special exemption to get to play next year considering he played for a jackass moron this year. Ban me do what you want to I don't care anymore. Gus is a complete moron and anybody that backs him  isn't very intelligent themself.

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is the first one we have had leave for this reason. White left for his own reasons. WIllis wasn't going to be the starter. Woddy Barrett had his chances and it didn't work out. Our biggest problem isn't QB transfers. Its the fact the HC/OC refuses to use the QB's he has. Nix can run yet he never gets a chance to run a read play. If he had played JG it would have been QB dive all the time. 

Against UF or LSU a couple of good read option plays could have stopped some of the pass rush. 

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

This is his fourth actually.  And so far every single quarterback he has had has transferred out (minus Fromm), including two 5*'s and two 4*'s.

Bro...Nix isn't putting up Fromm type numbers. Fromm is an established QB that is the general of his offense on the field. We don't have that here. There's no other way to spin it. Gatewood should've been given a shot at some point when Bo was stinking up the field in our losses.

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Miracle? How? And he didn't lead it, that was more whitlow than anybody but the offensive struggles was in that game as well

Stop using facts for people living in fantasy Cole.

I just feel that from what I see the people that are still arguing for Gus aren't facing the reality of the situation we are in. They are pretending that Bo's play has been good and he's been leading us to victories and the losses are only because of the venue the game was played.......it's sort of sad

18 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Gus only takes 3 questions and leaves after four minutes.  After being late for the conference call.

Marcello is hot about this on Twitter. Did Gus really play dumb and run away from questions??

JG transfer to UF.  Dan Mullen has a track record of utilizing players of your skill set. I tried to be fair and balance in my assessment, while giving Gus the benefit of a doubt. Screw that. It’s almost disrespectful that the coach would go on record saying he is back up wasn’t even an afterthought despite the stats of his starters. Go get yourself a fine education AND the opportunity to make it to the NFL somewhere else. 

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Malzahn: Gatewood left Auburn because he wants to be starting QB

11 minutes ago

Joey Gatewood is gone.

The Auburn backup quarterback wants to find a school where he can be a starting quarterback, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Wednesday on the SEC coaches' teleconference. 

"He's just at a point now where he feels like he wants to be a starting quarterback and needs to start looking for schools to find a spot," the seventh-year Auburn coach said. "He's a fine young man and I really appreciate everything he's done for our program."

Gatewood met with Malzahn and staff members in the early afternoon Tuesday to discuss his future. Gatewood's discussion with Malzahn and other staffers at Auburn came on the heels of a sub-par performance by the offense in which Gatewood's role was diminished as a "package" quarterback behind starter Bo Nix.

Nix struggled in losses at LSU and Florida, where he combined to hit 41.9 percent of his passes and threw two touchdown with four interceptions. Malzahn was asked Sunday at a press conference if he has or will consider a change at quarterback.

“Well, I mean, we’re going to do what’s best for our team, but right now a lot of the things — Bo was put in some pretty tough situations on nine third-down-and-10-plus (at LSU), and there was some things that he would like to have back, but there were also some things that he did well,” Malzahn said. “So he’ll continue to improve. That’s how we’re looking at it.”

Nix and Gatewood battled for the starting job during preseason camp, with Nix emerging as the victor in mid-August. Nix became the first true freshman quarterback to start for Auburn in a season opener since 1946.

Members of Auburn's leadership council, which includes defensive tackle Derrick Brown, were asked to try to convince Gatewood to stay on the Plains, sources tell Auburn Undercover. It's not clear if that meeting with the council and Gatewood occurred, however.

Gatewood is 5 of 7 passing for 54 yards and two touchdowns to go along with 29 rushes for 148 yards and three touchdowns this season. He has mostly been utilized in short-yardage situations, special packages in the red zone and late in blowout victories against Arkansas and Mississippi State.

The former 4-star prospect out of Bartram Trail High in Jacksonville, Florida was rated the nation's No. 1 athlete in the class of 2018, according to the 247Sports Composite. He sat out the 2018 season at Auburn, and will have to sit out the 2020 season if he transfers to an FBS program.

Gatewood's departure leaves Auburn without much depth at quarterback. Cord Sandberg is expected to serve as Nix's backup, but the offensive staff will likely utilize running backsJaTarvious Whitlow or D.J. Williams in Wildcat packages more often if Nix were to be injured during the final month of the season.

Both Whitlow and Williams played quarterback in high school. Sandberg is attending Auburn to mostly prepare himself for a career in coaching, and his arm strength is a huge question mark.

*** Get 1 MONTH of VIP access for $1 and receive the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Gus-Malzahn-Auburn-Tigers-quarterback-Joey-Gatewood-left-team-because-he-wants-to-be-starting-quarterback-137747084/

If this is the case, I think that's fair too. He deserved to be the starting QB going into this Ole Miss game at the very least. Bo has been severely horrible against all good teams we've played and if Joey wasn't getting prepared to be trotted out vs UGA and Alabama, he never was going to get burn anyway. 

18 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I"m certainly sold on him. If you can get a program like Minn winning games then think what he could do with better recruits and facilities. Plus, i like his attitude. Dude likes to keep the pedal to the metal on offense when the they're rolling. He'll drop 70 if his offense can. 

Id like to see a larger sample size of his performance at Minn. first. His first 2 years weren’t that great and while the gophers are 8-0 right now, if you go look at their schedule, they have not beaten a power 5 school that has a winning record yet this season. Their best wins are 4-4 Nebraska and 4-4 Illinois, and then they played cupcakes for all their non conference games, and had trouble with wins against them. 

Keep an eye on Fleck for sure, but IMO he hasn’t done anything too impressive yet. 

Gatewood was the 1st committed student athlete for the entering class of 18 and Worm was the 2nd. My heart melts today because I considered them as the leaders of the class. They helped bring a lot of high profile athletes in for that class. I understand that Joey had to do what he had to do for himself. I don't think we should over think the reason that he left but we should just respect his decision. He is doing what he felt is best for him. I take his leave personally because of the bond built. I wish him the best of luck in this situation. 

Archived