Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

29 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

That will be at least 2021, if he transfers to any FBS school 

Imagine him choosing a team, and then they turn around and hire Gus.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for him, I hope he balls wherever he goes.

i don’t get the people talking down on kids trying to better their situation

gus is to blame not Joey 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I just feel that from what I see the people that are still arguing for Gus aren't facing the reality of the situation we are in. They are pretending that Bo's play has been good and he's been leading us to victories and the losses are only because of the venue the game was played.......it's sort of sad

It may seem that way but I am not arguing for GM. I am arguing that I don't think it would have made a difference who played in those two games. Play calling had more of an impact than the QB running the plays. I am also saying that not a single one of us knows what is going on with this situation. Heck JG could look worse in practice with no contact than Nix looked at UF or LSU.

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Malzahn: Gatewood left Auburn because he wants to be starting QB

11 minutes ago

Joey Gatewood is gone.

The Auburn backup quarterback wants to find a school where he can be a starting quarterback, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Wednesday on the SEC coaches' teleconference. 

"He's just at a point now where he feels like he wants to be a starting quarterback and needs to start looking for schools to find a spot," the seventh-year Auburn coach said. "He's a fine young man and I really appreciate everything he's done for our program."

Gatewood met with Malzahn and staff members in the early afternoon Tuesday to discuss his future. Gatewood's discussion with Malzahn and other staffers at Auburn came on the heels of a sub-par performance by the offense in which Gatewood's role was diminished as a "package" quarterback behind starter Bo Nix.

Nix struggled in losses at LSU and Florida, where he combined to hit 41.9 percent of his passes and threw two touchdown with four interceptions. Malzahn was asked Sunday at a press conference if he has or will consider a change at quarterback.

“Well, I mean, we’re going to do what’s best for our team, but right now a lot of the things — Bo was put in some pretty tough situations on nine third-down-and-10-plus (at LSU), and there was some things that he would like to have back, but there were also some things that he did well,” Malzahn said. “So he’ll continue to improve. That’s how we’re looking at it.”

Nix and Gatewood battled for the starting job during preseason camp, with Nix emerging as the victor in mid-August. Nix became the first true freshman quarterback to start for Auburn in a season opener since 1946.

Members of Auburn's leadership council, which includes defensive tackle Derrick Brown, were asked to try to convince Gatewood to stay on the Plains, sources tell Auburn Undercover. It's not clear if that meeting with the council and Gatewood occurred, however.

Gatewood is 5 of 7 passing for 54 yards and two touchdowns to go along with 29 rushes for 148 yards and three touchdowns this season. He has mostly been utilized in short-yardage situations, special packages in the red zone and late in blowout victories against Arkansas and Mississippi State.

The former 4-star prospect out of Bartram Trail High in Jacksonville, Florida was rated the nation's No. 1 athlete in the class of 2018, according to the 247Sports Composite. He sat out the 2018 season at Auburn, and will have to sit out the 2020 season if he transfers to an FBS program.

Gatewood's departure leaves Auburn without much depth at quarterback. Cord Sandberg is expected to serve as Nix's backup, but the offensive staff will likely utilize running backsJaTarvious Whitlow or D.J. Williams in Wildcat packages more often if Nix were to be injured during the final month of the season.

Both Whitlow and Williams played quarterback in high school. Sandberg is attending Auburn to mostly prepare himself for a career in coaching, and his arm strength is a huge question mark.

*** Get 1 MONTH of VIP access for $1 and receive the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Gus-Malzahn-Auburn-Tigers-quarterback-Joey-Gatewood-left-team-because-he-wants-to-be-starting-quarterback-137747084/

There is something about this part that just doesn’t sit well with me. I’m not sure why, but it wreaks of desperation from the staff. Perhaps I’m way off base...wouldn’t be the first time.

3 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Stop using facts for people living in fantasy Cole.

Bro are you reading some of this stuff? Lol. We need to really have interventions on this forum

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

There is something about this part that just doesn’t sit well with me. I’m not sure why, but it wreaks of desperation from the staff. Perhaps I’m way off base...wouldn’t be the first time.

I think its evident based on the doublespeak Gus was saying in other interviews that Joey has no reason to trust a single thing he has to say. 

1 minute ago, Momma Worm said:

Gatewood was the 1st committed student athlete for the entering class of 18 and Worm was the 2nd. My heart melts today because I considered them as the leaders of the class. They helped bring a lot of high profile athletes in for that class. I understand that Joey had to do what he had to do for himself. I don't think we should over think the reason that he left but we should just respect his decision. He is doing what he felt is best for him. I take his leave personally because of the bond built. I wish him the best of luck in this situation. 

We've been following Joey since 2016, this hurts. He's been a class act kid that stuck by us all this time. I hope he goes out and gets his opportunity to tear it up somewhere. 

One thing I have always liked about Gus was his ability to keep the team chemistry positive.  It has paid off in recruiting as well as extraordinary circumstances like Davidson & Brown staying for their senior seasons.  I fear this is going to hurt the chemistry that has been so carefully nourished.  I can't defend the decision not to play JG more all year, especially in the LSU game.  If it was a close race, and one guy's not performing, the other guy should get a shot.  I was screaming for Joey in the 2nd half, not because of all this, but because I wanted to win the game, and it was pretty clear we couldn't move the ball with Bo. Sure if Joey comes in and does well, we have a QB controversy, but so be it.

Gus is betting his job on Bo right now, and the last thing that kid needs is more pressure.  I really hate this, but it was predictable. Intentional or not, the coaches embarrassed Joey badly at LSU.  It's hard to explain to your friends and family why you aren't getting a shot when the #1 guy is hitting 40% of his passes.  In this situation, Joey is reacting about the same as most people would. Damn.

1 minute ago, Mims44 said:

Imagine him choosing a team, and then they turn around and hire Gus.

Mims...wow.  That's dark, man.

giphy (6).gif

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just feel that from what I see the people that are still arguing for Gus aren't facing the reality of the situation we are in. They are pretending that Bo's play has been good and he's been leading us to victories and the losses are only because of the venue the game was played.......it's sort of sad

So I will preface this by saying this does have a sort of bias so take it as you may.  For me at least, it is considering all factors.  For example, how many of those incompletions were throwaways compared to taking sacks?  How many were requiring him to throw on the run due to poor blocking, etc.  This may make the case for Gatewood to get a start to see how he would perform and I cannot argue with you.  Like most comments I make, I just try to be slow to judgement and consider all factors that make a situation grey instead of black or white.  For example, we are finding out Gatewood wants to be the starter somewhere.  So if Malzahn played him more, would that have any affect if he wasn't starting?  I have no idea.  Just something I think about.

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Sounds like the boring expected coach speak he's hidden behind the whole time he's been here.

5 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Gatewood was the 1st committed student athlete for the entering class of 18 and Worm was the 2nd. My heart melts today because I considered them as the leaders of the class. They helped bring a lot of high profile athletes in for that class. I understand that Joey had to do what he had to do for himself. I don't think we should over think the reason that he left but we should just respect his decision. He is doing what he felt is best for him. I take his leave personally because of the bond built. I wish him the best of luck in this situation. 

Thank you for the post Ms. Shivers!  In general, it is nice to see your posts again.  I was worried we almost lost you a few weeks ago.

1 minute ago, RHN1975 said:

It may seem that way but I am not arguing for GM. I am arguing that I don't think it would have made a difference who played in those two games. Play calling had more of an impact than the QB running the plays. I am also saying that not a single one of us knows what is going on with this situation. Heck JG could look worse in practice with no contact than Nix looked at UF or LSU.

Yes but you're still arguing a hypothetical. JG is a stronger runner so if nothing else a couple more of sustained drives to give the defense rest. You're dead set on that JG can't but Bo can. It really couldn't be any worse than how Bo played last game tbh. Anybody else playing bad is held accountable like the center position for example

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

From my research, in his 4th year as head coach, Kirby Smart has not had one quarterback stick with the team for more than one year aside from Fromm.  This includes two 5 *'s and two 4*'s.  Nick Saban in his 13th year has had 12 quarterbacks transfer.  Why even mention this?  Transfers happen and will happen even further as we move forward in the transfer portal days.  We all assumed Gatewood would transfer eventually.  I hate it, and I think he is uber talented, but not surprised.

If Gatewood does end up transferring I wish him nothing but the best and will always be a fan of his.  War Eagle Joey!

Those cases aren’t even close to the same . In many of those cases I guarantee you the starter was solid enough to be the primary guy. 

6 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

You would know alot better than I but it seems like those guys were big for our Florida impact we've had since they've came. I dont wanna ask anything you'd be uncomfortable revealing but I wonder if your son and/or Joey helped recruit Schwartz? 

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For example, we are finding out Gatewood wants to be the starter somewhere.  So if Malzahn played him more, would that have any affect if he wasn't starting?  I have no idea.  Just something I think about.

Gustav said that's the reason. He could tell me water is wet and I wouldn't believe him anymore

Here is a crazy thought. What if Bo Nix is the better quarterback? And for a follow up question. Isn't that the most likely reason Nix is starting. Like everyone else, I wanted to see Gatewood come in during the LSU game as Nix was just not going to win it. But I still believe he was the better of the two quarterbacks? Why? because he wouldn't still be the starter if not. It's not Like Gus hasn't made QB changes in mid season before. The biggest question I have is why doesn't Gus let Dilly do his job and develop our QB's. Isn't Dilly supposed to be rather good at that? That's the baffling part.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

the same rumor mill I saw on twitter was implying Gus's job was contingent on Bo playing, so maybe that's why even the chance of winning was outweighed by his commitment to this kid? 

Gus's job should be contingent on winning so it shouldn't matter who plays QB

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Now get to work awb0004, shine this thang up and make it pretty for the rest of us - put a positive spin on what happened.

Hey!  Who is this awb0004?  Is he pumping more sunshine than me?  Point him out to me.  Not one outdoes me!  I'm going to go beat him up.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

So I will preface this by saying this does have a sort of bias so take it as you may.  For me at least, it is considering all factors.  For example, how many of those incompletions were throwaways compared to taking sacks?  How many were requiring him to throw on the run due to poor blocking, etc.  This may make the case for Gatewood to get a start to see how he would perform and I cannot argue with you.  Like most comments I make, I just try to be slow to judgement and consider all factors that make a situation grey instead of black or white.  For example, we are finding out Gatewood wants to be the starter somewhere.  So if Malzahn played him more, would that have any affect if he wasn't starting?  I have no idea.  Just something I think about.

It's clear as day that jg knew he was the better qb and said he'll wait because they would come out and when it was time for him to have an opportunity Gus showed that he wouldn't get it.....but as far as your other points that's part of playing QB. Stuff happens. And also for every yin there's a yang so what about all the passes that weren't good but the wr's made incredible plays and so on.

Why are you biased though? What makes you biased to Bo but not to JG?

Just now, shabby said:

Here is a crazy thought. What if Bo Nix is the better quarterback? And for a follow up question. Isn't that the most likely reason Nix is starting. Like everyone else, I wanted to see Gatewood come in during the LSU game as Nix was just not going to win it. But I still believe he was the better of the two quarterbacks? Why? because he wouldn't still be the starter if not. It's not Like Gus hasn't made QB changes in mid season before. The biggest question I have is why doesn't Gus let Dilly do his job and develop our QB's. Isn't Dilly supposed to be rather good at that? That's the baffling part.

Well the only other situation we have of Gus making changes is Jeremy for Sean, he refused to even run a real gameplan when JJ, JF3 or Malik Willis was backups (so we could develop them in case injury came), so you really shouldnt believe Gus has a good eye in managing QBs at all. Second, that aforementioned instance, the starter wasn't a legacy. your entire premise ignored that as if it hasnt clearly had an impact in the evaluation of Bo by both this program and the media 

1 minute ago, aubietiger14 said:

Gus's job should be contingent on winning so it shouldn't matter who plays QB

it should definitely. If you had a board of trustees that was less incestuous than Auburn's, it probably would as well. Im on record saying this long before bo or joey ever came here, but we have arguably the most ass backwards BoT in CFB

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

JG transfer to UF.  Dan Mullen has a track record of utilizing players of your skill set. I tried to be fair and balance in my assessment, while giving Gus the benefit of a doubt. Screw that. It’s almost disrespectful that the coach would go on record saying he is back up wasn’t even an afterthought despite the stats of his starters. Go get yourself a fine education AND the opportunity to make it to the NFL somewhere else. 

How great would it be if Joey went to Florida, won a Heisman, won a natty, and left for the NFL? Heads would explode. 

1 hour ago, RHN1975 said:

My only point was we do not know everything the coaches know. None of us know why he was pulled back from going in at LSU. He had a package he was supposed to run but if LSU's defense was set to counter that package why would you run it. None of us are in the film room or QB meetings. I would have loved to have seen him get a shot to get something ging at UF or LSU but there could be a lot more to it than just GM being stubborn. 

We really don't know...but there is just SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY that can't be explained away very well...too much smoke. 

Archived