Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

16 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Perhaps. Again, we're all probably just high on emotion and letting our imaginations run wild. But I know many of us would probably rather it be something shady rather than the fact that our 49Mil dollar coach was just THAT incompetent....

I'm rationalizing it. I truly am.

On the contrary, it would be comforting to know it's all on the coach and the PTBs aren't behind any of this. It would leave much more hope for the next chapter. 

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well...I get all the second guessing, but I can't get behind that. I never thought Malik had it in him to be an SEC caliber QB. As for the rest....Yes

I thought the same about Malik before I watched Bo against FL & LSU and I can't help but wonder how Malik would have done.

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I can definitely believe this given how Gus likes his practices. Scripted & planned, like a pop-quiz. This would sorta give credence to one reason he probably says "Bo gives us the best chance to win." But his ability to evaluate a player's electricity and what they bring to games as well as forcing defenses to adjust to their skills is sorely lacking then. Playmakers make plays and we've seen Joey make plays in limited action with little prep and warm up. That's what counts. 

If only Gus had let them go live once maybe twice in the Fall then maybe Gus would have seen Joey was the better answer. Yes @cole256 I'm admitting I was wrong.

How hard is to to believe that a booster with Nix connections or attachment cut a deal with him to lobby for and protect his position as long as Nix starts. That paired with Nix possibly being better at "The Little Things" could easily make Gus believe this is the best way to save his job.

Nor hard to believe because only Gus's flawed logic sensors would conclude that was the best way to save his job.

giphy.gif

Protecting his job and hedging his bets can easily be an ulterior motive and when done well can give him plausible deniability because he can obfuscate and cover up the truth with lies and shady decisions. He's already lied multiple times, talking about all the plans and effort they'd make to get Gatewood the ball. The 1A. and 1B. scenarios, the almost pathological attempts to keep Gatewood from having ANY meaningful PT even in situations that warrant it (see Boobee Cat.) etc.

That seems pretty sketchy and certainly doesn't sound like a coach trying to WIN or call the best plays.

Except that Gus has made mind numbingly stupid decisions long before he was trying to save his job. Pretty much every year since 2014.

Nail... Meet Hammer.

Yeah. That point I understand.

In any other situation a seasoned coach would pull the starting QB if not just to let them get their head back in the game and protect them from injuries. That's not the case here and that's why people are saying that this seems conspiratorial

Except that, again, it's Gus & he's been doing stupid ish like this nearly his entire AU HC career.

49 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I'm rationalizing it.

There is no rationalizing Gus. He is a three letter word meaning irrational.

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Good point.

It strikes me funny that some think our message board posting turns away recruits but skirt around things like this that REALLY DOES hurt in recruiting. 

I can PROMISE you that I've not crossed paths with any recruits (unless at a mall or airport and didn't know) but Gus comes across EVERY one of them.

Which is more likely to hurt recruiting?  ....especially quality QBs.

It doesn't have to be all one or the other. Good Grief.  BOTH of those things hurt recruiting. All this negativity 24/7 gets out. People read here. It spills over. The media takes things verbatim from this site (without giving credit, btw) and publishes it.  That doesn't mean other things don't have an effect as well. I didn't see anyone claiming that all this Gus hate was the only thing that hurts recruiting......just that it DOES have some notable effect. Let's not twist things in the midst of all the angst.

I was team Gatewood all the way, and I disappointed that he didn't get the job as the starter, I hate to see him leave., but I support his decision. I'm also not surprised by it.  No one should be. This is college football now, and Auburn fans better get used to it no matter who the coach is in the future. There will be no stable of back-up players for most coaches. 

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Wish him nothing but the best in the future   Will always root for him.  War Eagle

@aujeff11 I know you're hurting today brother.

But it's time for you to re-enter the aufamily portal.

mods...release the JeffKraken...

387daf29c0d9b1e8.png

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

I'd have to believe that for every smokey-backroom fat-cat lobbying for Nix, there's three lobbying for a win at all cost.

This is really the games I want to see. Who's names ring the loudest. Id imagine Dye was in Pat Nix's corner in this hypothetical, but who was on the other side. If this was GoT-esque I feel like Dye would be the Tywin Lannister

The thing is though Joey was at least prepared to go through this season if things were done the right way.....we put ourselves in this predicament

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If only Gus had let them go live once maybe twice in the Fall then maybe Gus would have seen Joey was the better answer. Yes @cole256 I'm admitting I was wrong.

Nor hard to believe because only Gus's flawed logic sensors would conclude that was the best way to save his job.

giphy.gif

Except that Gus has made mind numbingly stupid decisions long before he was trying to save his job. Pretty much every year since 2014.

Yeah. That point I understand.

Except that, again, it's Gus & he's been doing stupid ish like this nearly his entire AU HC career.

There is no rationalizing Gus. He is a three letter word meaning irrational.

I'd rather you admit that I was right than you were wrong but whatever you're good with. 

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'd rather you admit that I was right than you were wrong but whatever you're good with. 

Fine, I was right.

i still do not understand this move so late in the season. We have 4 game left. What does this benefit Joey?  Something went down during or after the LSU game that really ticked him off. We all felt bad when CBS showed Gus blocking him from going in (which was odd at the way that was handled)       I don’t blame him for wanting to be great somewhere else but his team really did need him for the rest of this year. All it takes is one play for Bo to be out... esp with the holes in our O-lines.  I just don’t get this timing. 

3 minutes ago, Beenjammin said:

i still do not understand this move so late in the season. We have 4 game left. What does this benefit Joey?  Something went down during or after the LSU game that really ticked him off. We all felt bad when CBS showed Gus blocking him from going in (which was odd at the way that was handled)       I don’t blame him for wanting to be great somewhere else but his team really did need him for the rest of this year. All it takes is one play for Bo to be out... esp with the holes in our O-lines.  I just don’t get this timing. 

I'll bet money he feels like he was being strung along and just had enough. Maybe I'm reading between the lines of his farewell post too much but I got the feeling he thinks his loyalty to Gus and to Auburn was taken for granted and people weren't completely truthful with him. If he wasn't going to play except for mop up time Gus should have told him so. Instead we've heard since August that Joey is going to have a role in this offense but that really never materialized.

As someone that's experienced this in a professional environment, it really wears on you when you just can't get that opportunity you know you deserve. I had to leave the job where that was happening to me. Not saying it's an apples to apple comparison but I get it.

2 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I'll bet money he feels like he was being strung along and just had enough. Maybe I'm reading between the lines of his farewell post too much but I got the feeling he thinks his loyalty to Gus and to Auburn was taken for granted and people weren't completely truthful with him. If he wasn't going to play except for mop up time Gus should have told him so. Instead we've heard since August that Joey is going to have a role in this offense but that really never materialized.

As someone that's experienced this in a professional environment, it really wears on you when you just can't get that opportunity you know you deserve. I had to leave the job where that was happening to me. Not saying it's an apples to apple comparison but I get it.

That's what I took. why bring up the part about the length of his time committed to Auburn if not for feeling a lack of loyalty. I would feel disdain in that situation. I normally fall on the side of the coin that would want him to stay for his teammates throughout the season then leave, but I had a very similar situation myself ( not QB at Auburn though hehe) but once you get to a point where you feel that certain way you aren't any good to your teammates anyway. 

Is the event that splits the locker room and causes a team to quit Gus? We have seen some crazy ish happen in his tenure, but this could be the one. I hope not for the sake of our team and regardless of my feelings towards Gus I want to win out. I want to beat UGA and BAMA. I want our SRs to go out with a nice season (should be a damn Championship) but that's been pissed away. 

It's no secret Auburn's OL is a dumpster fire and I just don't see it getting a whole lot better next year. What we have to hope is Bo maybe pack it jp and find a team with.a far better OL to play behind.

I hope the best for Joey. In a perplexing way, I hope he does very well and Gus has a fine dinner of crow from it. Maybe he wasn't ready yet. Gus should have done the things needed to keep him on at least till the end of the season. Showcase the man for what an athlete he is. Let him do tight end or find an athlete position. Hell! give him a quarter or two as QB with the cup cakes. God forbid next play at practice Bo steps back gets a bad foot plant rolls it over and has a high ankle sprain. (FREAK CRAP LIKE THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME).. Deal is Joey would have stayed if AU was undefeated . But standing on the sideline thinking you could get those 2 yards 100%  and then seeing another 3 and out had to be killing him.

6 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Perhaps. Again, we're all probably just high on emotion and letting our imaginations run wild. But I know many of us would probably rather it be something shady rather than the fact that our 49Mil dollar coach was just THAT incompetent....

I'm rationalizing it. I truly am.

Honestly Flex, from watching Gus carefully for ten years now I'm convinced he's that dumb.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

You were right.

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

It's no secret Auburn's OL is a dumpster fire and I just don't see it getting a whole lot better next year. What we have to hope is Bo maybe pack it jp and find a team with.a far better OL to play behind.

It could be better as Bird has said before addition by subtraction. Plus there are a few guys coming in more talented than the guys who are playing.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It could be better as Bird has said before addition by subtraction. Plus there are a few guys coming in more talented than the guys who are playing.

I hope they sign and enroll early.

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Man, I hear you. I just keep reminding myself that this is the same man who devised the Cox-Cat, and therefore I don't put anything past him. 

It's a shame he didn't utilize Joey. It's a shame he hasn't been able to better utilize Bo. It's just a shame. 

Well, we are talking about the man who never could seem to recognize the best RB on the roster until the starter got injured. Or, the man who had arguably the best receiving tight end in the history of the school, who caught about a dozen passes in his entire career here. The list goes on, and on. I would also reiterate that Bo has had his struggles, but we must also remember that Gus couldn't beat Tennessee with the backup QB of the New England Patriots. 

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Is the event that splits the locker room and causes a team to quit Gus? We have seen some crazy ish happen in his tenure, but this could be the one. I hope not for the sake of our team and regardless of my feelings towards Gus I want to win out. I want to beat UGA and BAMA. I want our SRs to go out with a nice season (should be a damn Championship) but that's been pissed away. 

Like really, I made this point in the thread that was deleted...

In college, when you've got limited eligibility for players and their futures riding on outcomes, YOU DON'T DEVELOP TRUE FRESHMAN QBs IN GAME WITH STAKES RIDING ON THEM FOR THEM TO MAKE MISTAKES. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE VIABLE AND COMPARABLY TALENTED OLDER PLAYERS AT THE POSITION BEHIND THAT PLAYER. IF YOU HAVE TO DO THIS THEN ITS A LAST RESORT IN CASE OF INJURY OR BAD PLAY FROM THE OLDER PLAYER.

Literally no coach does this unless the Freshman is MILES ahead of the competition and even then they're on a short leash. All this talk I've seen defending Bo early on when I made the "Joey Gatewood Deserves a Fair Game" thread is unheard of and would NEVER be applied to any other position.

Got a corner blowing his assignment and being abused like a blank prescription by the O? "
Get him out of there."

Got an OL that can't hold a bucket of water with XL grips and Super Glue Mittens? "
Let him ride the pine and put him in the weight room."

Bo Nix misses reads and continually overthrows players, throws interceptions, looks like he's lost in China without a roadmap?
"Well he's a True Freshman, we need to let him get valuable experience in games where Seniors are giving it their all trying to win now so that in the future when those seniors aren't even with the team and the coach has been fired because he lost winnable games, Bo can be a star for us. Yes we have an older player who was neck and neck with Bo until the last minute and has an added ability that adds a dimension to the game that we've won NATTYs using in the past but.... Bo.... Future.... Legacy..... Gus knows what these QBs can do and has seen it in practice. Trust Gus."

WUT?

Just now, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Like really, I made this point in the thread that was deleted...

In college, when you've got limited eligibility for players and their futures riding on outcomes, YOU DON'T DEVELOP TRUE FRESHMAN QBs IN GAME WITH STAKES RIDING ON THEM FOR THEM TO MAKE MISTAKES. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE VIABLE AND COMPARABLY TALENTED OLDER PLAYERS AT THE POSITION BEHIND THAT PLAYER. IF YOU HAVE TO DO THIS THEN ITS A LAST RESORT IN CASE OF INJURY OR BAD PLAY FROM THE OLDER PLAYER.

Literally no coach does this unless the Freshman is MILES ahead of the competition and even then they're on a short leash. All this talk I've seen defending Bo early on when I made the "Joey Gatewood Deserves a Fair Game" thread is unheard of and would NEVER be applied to any other position.

Got a corner blowing his assignment and being abused like a blank prescription by the O? "
Get him out of there."

Got an OL that can't hold a bucket of water with XL grips and Super Glue Mittens? "
Let him ride the pine and put him in the weight room."

Bo Nix misses reads and continually overthrows players, throws interceptions, looks like he's lost in China without a roadmap?
"Well he's a True Freshman, we need to let him get valuable experience in games where Seniors are giving it their all trying to win now so that in the future when those seniors aren't even with the team and the coach has been fired because he lost winnable games, Bo can be a star for us. Yes we have an older player who was neck and neck with Bo until the last minute and has an added ability that adds a dimension to the game that we've won NATTYs using in the past but.... Bo.... Future.... Legacy..... Gus knows what these QBs can do and has seen it in practice. Trust Gus."

WUT?

PS: Sorry if I sound extremely incensed by this whole thing, but bad personnel decisions, poor football, and horrid arguments by fans are my triggers.

Archived