Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Gus has successfully managed himself into a situation where 1 injury to the starting qb will ensure  samford will be a close game. 

At Auburn, Gus is pretty much always good for at least one horrid personnel decision a year as well as at least 4-5 meme-worthy unbecoming GIFs and/or camera-shots.

9 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

At Auburn, Gus is pretty much always good for at least one horrid personnel decision a year as well as at least 4-5 meme-worthy unbecoming GIFs and/or camera-shots.

I appreciate your posts and was wondering who you'd pick if you could hire a replacement for Gus? 

16 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

PessimisticNecessaryAmericanrobin.gif

Still not convinced he ever got over this game. 

2 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I appreciate your posts and was wondering who you'd pick if you could hire a replacement for Gus? 

Can't make an accurate pick at the moment given the landscape for coaching hasn't taken form yet...

10 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

You are correct. But I still don't like the coaches stringing Gatewood along and telling him that he's going to get more playing time in the 2nd half of the season and then basically going back on their word by only letting him get one play in against LSU.

Other players Gus says is going to become more involved: McClain, Matthew Hill, Zach Farrar, every tight end and H Back, Shedrick Jackson, Shaun Shivers, etc..If every player quit who was promised a bigger role by Gus, we would have a hard time fielding a team. 😂

13 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Man, this is even more brutal. Kid is posting scripture and trusting the Lord. You can tell this was not an easy decision for him and he put alot of thought into it. He really does want to be at Auburn, just not playing for Gus. Makes me sick honestly.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Our best option at QB is any QB Gus ain't coaching. We need to let him go before he ruins Bo's potential development permanently.

This was said so eloquently that I almost cried !

Not playing at Joey Gatewood the best backup QB we have this year. if Gus would have played Joey more, he'd still be on the a Tiger as we're getting ready to play Ole Miss. Bo batter never ever get hurt for any length of time.

8 hours ago, Beenjammin said:

i still do not understand this move so late in the season. We have 4 game left. What does this benefit Joey?  Something went down during or after the LSU game that really ticked him off. We all felt bad when CBS showed Gus blocking him from going in (which was odd at the way that was handled)       I don’t blame him for wanting to be great somewhere else but his team really did need him for the rest of this year. All it takes is one play for Bo to be out... esp with the holes in our O-lines.  I just don’t get this timing. 

My thoughts are that something was said in the meeting he had with GM and the coaches that one side didn't like. 

7 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Think the forums are divided........think about the locker room.

We are posters on the internet. We, like posters on other teams forums, are the largest gathering of individuals that think we know more than anyone involved with the program.

As much as we like to think we are invested we can't fathom how much this group of players have put into this. They understand what JG is going through and why he is leaving. They have a friend and a teammate leaving and that sucks but they understand why. They also know more than us about performance of the two in practice. If the team was going to be split it would have happened before this because the players would know if JG deserved a shot and wasn't getting it. 

4 hours ago, norcuron said:

I hope the best for Joey. In a perplexing way, I hope he does very well and Gus has a fine dinner of crow from it. Maybe he wasn't ready yet. Gus should have done the things needed to keep him on at least till the end of the season. Showcase the man for what an athlete he is. Let him do tight end or find an athlete position. Hell! give him a quarter or two as QB with the cup cakes. God forbid next play at practice Bo steps back gets a bad foot plant rolls it over and has a high ankle sprain. (FREAK CRAP LIKE THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME).. Deal is Joey would have stayed if AU was undefeated . But standing on the sideline thinking you could get those 2 yards 100%  and then seeing another 3 and out had to be killing him.

Standing on the sideline thinking you could get those 2 yrds and watching an injured RB take YOUR package after you'd already been yanked to the sideline on national TV in another series had to be killing him inside AND his parents having to watch from the stands.

I personally think Gus was making a statement with the way he handled JG in the LSU game, and he drove that statement home in the after game conference when he said he had zero intention of replacing the QB.

Gus used nail after nail to seal Joey's fate with this team.  From Joeys final farewell, he intentionally mentioned the 4 yrs of loyalty he had for AU/CGM - he wanted people to know.

2 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Like really, I made this point in the thread that was deleted...

In college, when you've got limited eligibility for players and their futures riding on outcomes, YOU DON'T DEVELOP TRUE FRESHMAN QBs IN GAME WITH STAKES RIDING ON THEM FOR THEM TO MAKE MISTAKES. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE VIABLE AND COMPARABLY TALENTED OLDER PLAYERS AT THE POSITION BEHIND THAT PLAYER. IF YOU HAVE TO DO THIS THEN ITS A LAST RESORT IN CASE OF INJURY OR BAD PLAY FROM THE OLDER PLAYER.

Literally no coach does this unless the Freshman is MILES ahead of the competition and even then they're on a short leash. All this talk I've seen defending Bo early on when I made the "Joey Gatewood Deserves a Fair Game" thread is unheard of and would NEVER be applied to any other position.

Got a corner blowing his assignment and being abused like a blank prescription by the O? "
Get him out of there."

Got an OL that can't hold a bucket of water with XL grips and Super Glue Mittens? "
Let him ride the pine and put him in the weight room."

Bo Nix misses reads and continually overthrows players, throws interceptions, looks like he's lost in China without a roadmap?
"Well he's a True Freshman, we need to let him get valuable experience in games where Seniors are giving it their all trying to win now so that in the future when those seniors aren't even with the team and the coach has been fired because he lost winnable games, Bo can be a star for us. Yes we have an older player who was neck and neck with Bo until the last minute and has an added ability that adds a dimension to the game that we've won NATTYs using in the past but.... Bo.... Future.... Legacy..... Gus knows what these QBs can do and has seen it in practice. Trust Gus."

WUT?

Like Really?

I don't get what all of that has to do with my question? I was asking does this split the locker room to the point Gus loses a team which has never happened?

Nice Rant though

When Bo was named the starter, Gus repeatedly said that Joey would play.  Joey trusting him stayed with the team and rallied around it.  The Coach LIED to him to keep depth at the position.  Joey could have transferred before the season started and be playing next year, instead he got screwed over by GUS and will now have to sit out next year after basically sitting out this year.  Unless he goes JUCO of course.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I was asking does this split the locker room to the point Gus loses a team which has never happened?

this is my question as well. I wish someone with some inside knowledge would speak to this. My guess is the team will still come out and play, but they are fed up with the lack of offense. The defense is upset with Gus, and players are probably mad at Gus for not playing Gatewood, with Nix obviously struggling. 

Just now, TigerFanAU said:

this is my question as well. I wish someone with some inside knowledge would speak to this. My guess is the team will still come out and play, but they are fed up with the lack of offense. The defense is upset with Gus, and players are probably mad at Gus for not playing Gatewood, with Nix obviously struggling. 

I am sure there are probably factions inside the locker room as well. It is probably beyond tough to feel for what Joey is going through and lose him, all the while trying to be supportive of a QB and teammate that is also struggling. 

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I don't think anyone can know that answer for sure right now, but this situation obviously doesn't help.  Of course you know this and that is why you are asking.

8 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

The defense got upset with the offense last year and appeared to lay down in that MSU game when Fitzgerald ran all over them all night long.  There comes a time when the defense can't keep carrying the water for the whole team.  So the notion that the players will always give 100% to Gus and never let their emotions affect their performance on the field is debunked after what I saw in Starkville almost exactly 1 yr ago.

Gus has a way of rallying the troops, getting them refocused and getting them back on track.  But when some of these seniors have seen the same song and dance for 3-4 yrs it has to wear on a young person's resilience and their ability to ignore the gorilla in the room and just bounce back and produce.

1 hour ago, RHN1975 said:

We are posters on the internet. We, like posters on other teams forums, are the largest gathering of individuals that think we know more than anyone involved with the program.

As much as we like to think we are invested we can't fathom how much this group of players have put into this. They understand what JG is going through and why he is leaving. They have a friend and a teammate leaving and that sucks but they understand why. They also know more than us about performance of the two in practice. If the team was going to be split it would have happened before this because the players would know if JG deserved a shot and wasn't getting it. 

Everything you said is true except the last sentence. This time now is actually the first time everybody would see if jg deserve a shot or not. This is why he left

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Like Really?

I don't get what all of that has to do with my question? I was asking does this split the locker room to the point Gus loses a team which has never happened?

Nice Rant though

I was agreeing with you. 

Like really as in not asking, but agreement.

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

the look on his face when gus kept him off the field when they were at the goal line.    

I didn’t get to see the game . Would love to see how this occurred 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

I didn’t get to see the game . Would love to see how this occurred 

Can't find a video, but it looked to me that it was scripted and done in practice that when we got down on the goal line Joey was to go in.  He was standing right behind Gus with his helmet on and then started to run onto the field, but Gus grabbed him by his arm and pulled him back and gave him this really bad look.  

So where do you guys think he will go? And I know there will be a group of people hoping he doesn't do well at another school but there are plenty of people rooting for him as well. 

Do you think it will sting.more if he turns out to be a really good QB

Archived