Joey Gatewood (Update 10/30: Leaves the team)

Zeek

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am sure there are probably factions inside the locker room as well. It is probably beyond tough to feel for what Joey is going through and lose him, all the while trying to be supportive of a QB and teammate that is also struggling. 

On the flipside,  If that's the case, I imagine Bo is caught in a precarious position throughout this too. And for what? I'm sure all he wants to do is win, play well and earn the love of his teammates as well. Instead, he had the weight of the program put on his shoulders by his coach as a true freshman with no help when he struggled. Nobody wins in this scenario. 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So where do you guys think he will go? And I know there will be a group of people hoping he doesn't do well at another school but there are plenty of people rooting for him as well. 

Do you think it will sting.more if he turns out to be a really good QB

I could honestly see him going to Florida. Trask has one more year and I think Mullen could mold Joey into a very dangerous QB.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So where do you guys think he will go? And I know there will be a group of people hoping he doesn't do well at another school but there are plenty of people rooting for him as well. 

I agree with @leglessdan, I think UF may be a possibility. Wherever it is, I think he will go with a qb whisperer. Don’t know if OU would be the best place long term since Riley seems to be on the short list for future NFL jobs. 

I hope he blows it out of the water and kills it. Anyone that hopes he doesn’t sucks.

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think so, but I think most of us want him to successful, live a good life (inside and outside of football), and will still consider him part of the Auburn family.  Also, the amount of sting depends on if we're still stuck with Malzahn as our coach.

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I honestly believe he's a good QB..........Not sure where he may go....I hope he's successful and wish him the very best.

13 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Truthfully, this is one of the more outlandish suggestions I've come across. 

It's one thing to question Gus' coaching, it's another thing entirely to question his ethics. You're certainly free to do so, but absent any proof to support those claims, it's where I draw the line. Not to mention, your theory almost certainly implicates the Nix family.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Our best option at QB is any QB Gus ain't coaching. We need to let him go before he ruins Bo's potential development permanently.

Could someone place themselves in Pat Nix's shoes and explain to me why you would let your son play for Gus? Pat played college QB. Coached in college. OC'd in college. And, head coached and won 2 state titles in high school. He's seen Kodi Burns, Kiehl Frazier, Clint Moseley, Jonathan Wallace, JJ, Sean White, JF3, Malik, Jarrett Stidham, etc. ad nauseum. Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you let your son be subjected to this cluster show? It makes ZERO sense.

44 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

On the flipside,  If that's the case, I imagine Bo is caught in a precarious position throughout this too. And for what? I'm sure all he wants to do is win, play well and earn the love of his teammates as well. Instead, he had the weight of the program put on his shoulders by his coach as a true freshman with no help when he struggled. Nobody wins in this scenario. 

No doubt. It's not a good situation for anybody. I hope the team leaders keep everyone tight and together.

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Could someone place themselves in Pat Nix's shoes and explain to me why you would let your son play for Gus? Pat played college QB. Coached in college. OC'd in college. And, head coached and won 2 state titles in high school. He's seen Kodi Burns, Kiehl Frazier, Clint Moseley, Jonathan Wallace, JJ, Sean White, JF3, Malik, Jarrett Stidham, etc. ad nauseum. Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you let your son be subjected to this cluster show? It makes ZERO sense.

Could it be he expected Gus to get fired within the first year or two and Loves Auburn enough to put up with it until new coach comes in? Just a guess....because I really can;t think of any logical reason lol

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I was agreeing with you. 

Like really as in not asking, but agreement.

Oh i took that out of context....I took it as " Like Really...i need to explain again..." Sorry bro. 

19 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

From what I've seen written, Pat/Bo chose AU because Gus got that massive extension & $$$$$$.

48 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I think so, but I think most of us want him to successful, live a good life (inside and outside of football), and will still consider him part of the Auburn family.  Also, the amount of sting depends on if we're still stuck with Malzahn as our coach.

It'll sting even more if Bo isn't developed into what he projected to be, leaving us wondering what might have if Joey were at a minimum given a chance. 

14 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Bottom of the barrel when you lose 1 QB and you're having to consider using the WC as a QB option. Is this really the level Auburn football has stooped to? Especially given ALL the weapons we have on offense. Really? 

We have reached this level before.  Gus is very adept at using only one QB and the WC as an option.  We have had only one year (2014) where Auburn had a (perceived) viable option at QB. Every other time we only had one.  Gus has been very lucky with QB injuries, save SW of course, or he would play them when they were not 100%.

Gus needs his security blanket players and that is probably why we saw Boobee in the WC instead of Joey in the LSU game.  Not much consideration of the intangibles a player brings to the party.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

From what I've seen written, Pat/Bo chose AU because Gus got that massive extension & $$$$$$.

To be fair, Gus keeps recruiting at a high level. It’s pure amazement to me. It’s not just a Pat issue. 

7 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I hope they sign and enroll early.

They are. Otherwise we wouldn’t take the jucos  of the group.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

A  why do you hate the fan base so much?  I dont  see anyone actively rooting for him to fail.     

It will sting if Bo doesnt pan out or gets hurt immediately  

6 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Like really, I made this point in the thread that was deleted...

In college, when you've got limited eligibility for players and their futures riding on outcomes, YOU DON'T DEVELOP TRUE FRESHMAN QBs IN GAME WITH STAKES RIDING ON THEM FOR THEM TO MAKE MISTAKES. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE VIABLE AND COMPARABLY TALENTED OLDER PLAYERS AT THE POSITION BEHIND THAT PLAYER. IF YOU HAVE TO DO THIS THEN ITS A LAST RESORT IN CASE OF INJURY OR BAD PLAY FROM THE OLDER PLAYER.

Literally no coach does this unless the Freshman is MILES ahead of the competition and even then they're on a short leash. All this talk I've seen defending Bo early on when I made the "Joey Gatewood Deserves a Fair Game" thread is unheard of and would NEVER be applied to any other position.

Got a corner blowing his assignment and being abused like a blank prescription by the O? "
Get him out of there."

Got an OL that can't hold a bucket of water with XL grips and Super Glue Mittens? "
Let him ride the pine and put him in the weight room."

Bo Nix misses reads and continually overthrows players, throws interceptions, looks like he's lost in China without a roadmap?
"Well he's a True Freshman, we need to let him get valuable experience in games where Seniors are giving it their all trying to win now so that in the future when those seniors aren't even with the team and the coach has been fired because he lost winnable games, Bo can be a star for us. Yes we have an older player who was neck and neck with Bo until the last minute and has an added ability that adds a dimension to the game that we've won NATTYs using in the past but.... Bo.... Future.... Legacy..... Gus knows what these QBs can do and has seen it in practice. Trust Gus."

WUT?

I hate to burst part of a bubble from this post but Bo is older than Joey chronologically & in football quarterback playing experience. Not saying it excuses any decision Gus has made. Just clarifying the fact.

As for the point of the post that’s typical Gus when it comes to his QBs.

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

A  why do you hate the fan base so much?  I dont  see anyone actively rooting for him to fail.     

It will sting if Bo doesnt pan out or gets hurt immediately  

Skip is a good name for you. The problem is people like yourself is so offended at real life.....that's why you get words like hate and bash etc.....I literally pointed out both sides but whatever if my posts bother you just don't respond all I can tell you.....I just post realistic things, I'm not much on fantasy

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I didn’t get to see the game . Would love to see how this occurred 

DAG, it was awful and so odd. Like the AJ McCarron spank that went viral, not a coach's best moment, you have to wonder how on earth the camera managed to capture such a transformational moment. It was my first thought when the rumors flew. Nobody ever wanted to be "right" about this. 

Archived